Healing the nation will most likely come from the GOP. This gave me hope.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
I think both the left and the right should proceed as they see fit and only agree to those deals they actually want to make. If the number of those deals is zero then it is what it is.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
I think both the left and the right should proceed as they see fit and only agree to those deals they actually want to make. If the number of those deals is zero then it is what it is.
I think it’s a mistake to play every bit of legislation as a win/lose discussion. SCOTUS has cases that split along party lines, but most cases are unanimous. That’s how legislation should be too.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
My feelz on the matter are that we'd all survive just fine if as much as 95% of the legislative workload simply ground to a halt for a couple years via gridlock. And I reckon they'll be happy to make some deals long before it gets to that point.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
really? The differences between the parties is so small.

Taxes - we're talking a few hundred to a few thousand dollars either way for the vast majority of Americans.
Abortion - most people don't care
Guns - nobody wants to take them. A few more laws one way or the other.
Healthcare - if you don't call it Obamacare, most republicans actually like it
Immigration - everyone wants immigration reform but neither side has any incentive to actually reform immigration

The fault is in the primary system. To win the extremes, you need to be extreme. The House, in particular, is an extremist sh!t show. Fix that, whether through ranked voting or some other way, and things will mellow out.
While this sort of thinking might lead towards peace and prosperity, its not gonna be very useful to the mainstream media where they need to provoke a fear-response in the reader to drive impressions, engagement, and online ad revenue.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
That's great. Someone should make a 2020 version of Monopoly.

New Community Chest cards:

"Mistaken for burglar and beaten up by cops, go to Jail and pay $2000 in legal fees, do not collect $200 next time you pass go."

"Neighborhood is gentrified, collect $1000"

"Pay Bank Overdraft Fee of $35"

"Pay Late fee on Credit Card $45"

Funny that back then, a bank could err in your favor.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
While this sort of thinking might lead towards peace and prosperity, its not gonna be very useful to the mainstream media where they need to provoke a fear-response in the reader to drive impressions, engagement, and online ad revenue.
Media is a problem. It's always been a problem. That doesn't mean we need to be captive to it.