Surfing in thunderstorms

Nov 25, 2020
http://instagr.am/p/CJwHFUcnvcD/

Sometimes the swell is too good to leave. I know if you are on the beach and get hit, your fukkod but how about in the water? I had a training collar on my dog years ago and I tested it under water on myself (around my wrist) and the electric shock wasn't noticeable because of the water dissipating the shock. That of course is not close to the power of lightening

Any thoughts on what happens if hit by a bolt while surfing?

• Haha
Reactions: $kully

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

Sometimes the swell is too good to leave. I know if you are on the beach and get hit, your fukkod but how about in the water? I had a training collar on my dog years ago and I tested it under water on myself (around my wrist) and the electric shock wasn't noticeable because of the water dissipating the shock. That of course is not close to the power of lightening

pretty sure that when it happens, you won't have any thoughts left.

most in the lineup don't worry about it unless it's right on top of them. always thought the SUP guys would be a little more circumspect, seeing as how they generally the tallest thing in the lineup, waving a metal pole around, to boot.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~

Not sure what "training collar" that you used (mine goes from 0 to 99 zapoids or audio) but I was firmly "requested" by a local park ranger to put my dog on a leash because of federal protected geese where I live on the Island of Kauai's north shore.( insert: I was walking in the grass along a public road & the geese run wild anywhere ) I told him that I was related to a SAR K-9 unit and that my "correction collar" was on my dog. He said he didn't give a chit what collar I had and that I needed a leash on my dog. I there by said, If he'd be so kind to put said collar around his neck, I bet him his Glock 9mm that I could get him to do somersaults when I lit him up. Quietness, erupted from his eye's at me. He readjusted his cowboy hat (really) looked back at me and said, "lookout for the gawd dam geese," rolled up his window on his pick up and sped off down Light House Road into K Town.
As to your question? I'd probably be sitting in a pile of warm, distinct aroma from the flash bang effect if I hadn't been directly hit by Thor's hammer. :socrazy:

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Not sure what "training collar" that you used (mine goes from 0 to 99 zapoids or audio) but I was firmly "requested" by a local park ranger to put my dog on a leash because of federal protected geese where I live on the Island of Kauai's north shore. I told him that I was related to a SAR K-9 unit and that my "correction collar" was on my dog. He said he didn't give a chit what collar I had and that I needed a leash on my dog. I there by said, If he'd be so kind to put said collar around his neck, I bet him his Glock 9mm that I could get him to do somersaults when I lit him up. Quietness, erupted from his eye's at me. He readjusted his cowboy hat (really) looked back at me and said, "lookout for the gawd dam geese," rolled up his window on his pick up and sped off down Light House Road into K Town.
As to your question? I'd probably be sitting in a pile of warm, distinct aroma from the flash bang effect if I hadn't been directly hit by Thor's hammer. :socrazy:
You will have to put in a lot of effort if you are going to fit even more stupidity into one forum post.

• Dislike
Reactions: Clayster

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You will have to put in a lot of effort if you are going to fit even more stupidity into one forum post.
Is this a shot at Uncle PPK?

Lineup iced to hell up in Lesser Kalmar?
Did PPK use Thor's name in vain and you're declaring a fatwah?

We going to have to start unleashing the Dumb Snolak jokes?

Why don't Snolak women use vibrators?
It chips their teeth.

Why did the Snolak cross the road?
He couldn't get his dick out of the chicken.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Did this once at Shell Beach. Never again.

Back in late 90s, mid winter and pouring buckets of rain. Friend and I wanted to get in the water somewhere as the swell was pumping but everywhere was gnarly victory at sea conditions, with crazy run off, messed up sand bars, crazy rips, etc. This spot in Shell was grinding 4-5' barrels, but the storm was relentless. We were the only ones checking it and we said screw it, lets go for it.

We suited up in the pouring rain and paddled out. About 30m into our session, we started questioning our decision. We could see lightning in the distance, and the rain started pelting our heads so hard, it actually hurt. Then the lightning drew closer. Finally, a bolt struck the water really close to us. At least, it felt really close. There was a loud crack and a super bright light that scared the sh.t out of us. We both looked at each other and paddled in as quickly as possible.

Once on the beach, we stood there for a second as the storm intensified. Then we started running back to the spot to climb back up the cliffs, we heard something loud and turned around to see an area of the cliff had collapsed onto the beach, right where we were standing. Some big chunks fell right out of the sidewall. We looked at each other like wtf are we doing here? We got back to the vehicle as fast as possible and didn't even bother changing, because our clothes would have been as wet as our suits. We just threw towels down and drove back to SLO.

One of the dumbest things I did in my youth.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
victims of lightening sometimes experience residual neurological complications.
Google "Lightning scars".

They are electric burns along nerve pathways.

PS

Was once surfing when a bit of bolts dropped. When I got out of the water, a person on the bluff asked me if I realized how risky it was.

"About as risky as you standing by this metal fence up here on the bluff...well, maybe a little less since you were much higher up than I was down there."

LelandCuz

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 21, 2011
Lahaina
I know a guy who was walking across a water covered parking lot during a rain storm. Lightning struck "the far side of the lot" and he got zapped hard enough to throw him off his feet. Had a burn mark on his belly from his big belt buckle.
Chaos theory takes over when it comes to lightning strikes. Basically, too many variables to predict the exact path it will take but it can spread through water and things in the water. Think how an electric eel stuns nearby fish. Also, many heart attacks caused by swimming near a boat that has a short causing electricity to enter the water. Some harbors won't allow you to enter the water to work on your hull because of this.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
not far from here - ibsp - the unluckiest 18yo ever died from a bolt on a
lovely sunny day w/no clouds.
:cry:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Surfed during a number of thunder storms in my teens and 20s. One time the guards made us get out so about 4 of us were standing in the entrance to a closed boardwalk business when a lightning bolt hit the light post directly in front of us not more than 50 feet away. Holy sheit. Closest I've ever been to a strike........and it was because we got out of the water. :oops:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
At least make sure you have a few seconds until the thunder rolls. If its going *Crack BOOM* I'd get the heck out of the water.

Weather.com said:
If you count the number of seconds between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder, and then divide by 5, you'll get the distance in miles to the lightning: 5 seconds = 1 mile, 15 seconds = 3 miles, 0 seconds = very close. Keep in mind that you should be in a safe place while counting.