Surfboards, Surfing and Politics

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Would you knowingly buy a board from a shaper or brand, that had opposite political beliefs as you, regardless of how it may be the best
board in the whole world??

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
we all have different beliefs. only some feel it necessary to shout those beliefs out loud. those are the people I can pass on.

Reactions: Woke AF

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I'm more concerned with thinly veiled threats of violence and magical thinking about dark forces....

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yes, I own a lost and it goes good. Used to ride CIs and the Merricks are hardcore god botherers

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I just ask, not to create any divide or tension within the surf community, or more importantly, the erbb, but more out of my curiosity based on the recent political atmosphere.
In my line of work, I don't turn down many offers for work. I've done work for all types of politically minded people, some easier to work with than others. If it's what I do to make a living, then I can see past it.

Surfboards, on the other hand, well, there are many many really good board makers around. We all have our stories and run ins good and bad and plain whacky, with shapers out there, and as people they all have differing political viewpoints. I'd more likely to work with someone who has the same political views as mine, than not. However, I wouldn't totally say no.
If the process was smooth and engaging, and the quality was good, I don't see why not either.

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Would you knowingly buy a board from a shaper or brand, that had opposite political beliefs as you, regardless of how it may be the best
board in the whole world??
In the WHOLE world?:unsure: Yes.

I mean we buy gas and all kinds of stuff from all kinds of folks. I'm sure some of them have opposite political beliefs as me.

Reactions: CutnSnip

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Well, I have a gas station in my hood, that up until recently would patronize every now and then, however after this last few weeks I found out their political stance, and let me tell you, I won't ever set foot there again. Their gas was more expensive is the first reason I wouldn't, and secondly, a kid relative of theirs who my son played with prior to covid, well, they aren't playing anymore.
And, there definitely are a few restaurants in town I won't goto anymore, for the same reasons.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Face it every board builder is a capitalist and is making a toxic product no matter how much they try to tell themselves and market themselves as green.
I suppose that could be one political aspect that one would consider. I realize that fully so that isn't what I was thinking, because there are plenty of blue's and red's that love and protect the environment, they just have different ways to go about protecting it, or not...
Yes, I'm sure there aren't many board builders that are just doing it to barter or trade full time.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I also buy Patagonia stuff (not wetsuits) and the owner of the company is the poster child for hypocritical rules for thee but not for me leftist.

He’s also a fucking burn artist that fortunately doesn’t surf anymore.