LA 80's Punk Scene

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The Cathay de Grande was where I probably saw more shows than anywhere else. Madams Wongs, Fenders, The Whiskey the Country Club were all right up there. Saw a lot of the larger bands, especially the ones from Europe at the Olympic and the PVA.
you were the nazi they had to kick out?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Then what we called jocks started showing up. They would not dance and it seemed they were only at the shows to stand around and shove and hit people dancing. That's when violence became a threat. I don't remember any nazi symbols but I wasn't looking either.
Was always sort of the buzzkill. Sometimes a couple of huge prison looking losers way older than the rest of the audience, standing in the center of the pit with their arms crossed, waiting for someone to violate their space.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The most memorable was The Clash for 3 nights in a row at Hollywood Palladium.

The Country Club w/ Jim Carroll, Gary Neuman, Echo and the Bunnymen.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
A bad version of Bowie + Vicky from the lamest tv show ever, "Small Wonder" = Gary Numan ?

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Ha. Hanging around The Masque were you? A few weeks ago I found an X cassette tape in the glovebox of my ‘58. Seems to me they went kind of mainstream/top 40 sometime in the late 80’s? The only openly white supremacist type people I ever met were wandering around that scene or affiliated with a certain motor scooter club.

But yeah, somebody get B5fin. He could probably write 20 pages of epic name dropping/stories. Single spaced, no paragraphs, three sentences. :jamon:
He's been busy this week and might have trouble getting internet access for a while

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
The most memorable was The Clash for 3 nights in a row at Hollywood Palladium.
did los lobos open? saw the clash around 82 at the arlington theatre in sb. los lobos stole the show that night as the opening act.

Last edited:

sdsurfrat

Michael Peterson status
Jun 2, 2008
Wichipoo to the courtesy phone...

I'll take CooCoos Nest in Costa Mexico for 200 please

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
south bay punk 79-82. remember the bouncers coming in hot if you sparked up a j at one of the live shows.

C9A228A9-38E2-4BBC-8D12-680BC0A3F0BD.jpegAE10D020-82E7-4106-BD77-A66EAA5F2C2A.jpeg

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
:roflmao:not knockin him, just saying. My old roomie used spin vinyl - stuff like M.E., T. Waits, Bowie, Iggy etc while dancing in her epic little goth outfits for me while feeding me wine. I had zero complaints

• Haha
Reactions: youcantbeserious

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
it was a time never to be repeated. yeah, there were boneheads, as some called the right wing types. most were orange county jocks who were there for the violence. i remember them getting beat down regularly. fenders was a very violent place. so was the fleetwood in redondo. every club had the possibility of a riot, and i don't remember a place that wasn't swarmed by cops at least once. so yeah, there were white power people around. X wasn't a WP band. their guitar player supported reagan, and the bushes and the current idiot. weird to see so many older so called punks turning into maga types. didn't they listen to the lyrics?

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
it was a time never to be repeated. yeah, there were boneheads, as some called the right wing types. most were orange county jocks who were there for the violence. i remember them getting beat down regularly. fenders was a very violent place. so was the fleetwood in redondo. every club had the possibility of a riot, and i don't remember a place that wasn't swarmed by cops at least once. so yeah, there were white power people around. X wasn't a WP band. their guitar player supported reagan, and the bushes and the current idiot. weird to see so many older so called punks turning into maga types. didn't they listen to the lyrics?
they listened to their lyrics. then they saw one party runs the state of california. and thst one party about to run the country. the DNC has been repackaged as the new Moral Majorityand if you dont think like that party u r gonna be in trouble. so the atiitude of the lyrics still fits.

• Haha
Reactions: kawika and npsp

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
they listened to their lyrics. then they saw one party runs the state of california. and thst one party about to run the country. the DNC has been repackaged as the new Moral Majorityand if you dont think like that party u r gonna be in trouble. so the atiitude of the lyrics still fits.
Yeah its important to have a fascism party around to you know, keep us all honest :foreheadslap:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
did los lobos open? saw the clash around 82 at the arlington theatre in sb. los lobos stole the show that night as the opening act.
Saw Los Lobos at a bar in Corvallis called The Peacock (biker bar). Actually, the show was in the space above the the main bar, called "Top of the Cock".

They had security out front telling event goers to stay away from the motorbikes out front and not to go into the main floor.

Good times.