Album Surfboards

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Wait for the XTR $100 off sale, and it'll be $200+ cheaper than Album site.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
First ride(s) report for my new to me Disorder from @MrSteve. 5-10 x 20.25 x 2.44. ~33 liters. I am 6' x 190ish. Riding True Ames Album asym set.

This is the widest non-fish I own, so that is pretty noticeable right away, especially with the more parallel outline. This is the only board currently in my quiver under 2.5" thick but the rails actually feel quite similar in girth to my GX (2.63" with the rails foiled down a bit for this thickness). I like the look but it's pretty weird to sit on with the off center nose.

First session was not ideal, mostly overhead with small but obnoxious ribs in the face going backside. The speed was insane for a more HP feeling board but I occasionally felt like I had to nurse it and was going to slip out. But I also didn't judge too much from this session because of the funky conditions, plus the speed was epic.

Second session, frontside reef wave, same size range with less OH++ sets and more shoulder/head tweeners than the previous session. I got a few fun ones right away and almost immediately figure
d out I hadn't had my back foot far enough over the tail, once I made that change the slipping sensation was gone. There is still a ton of looseness but I felt confident pushing it after that. Got a few steep ones and felt confident.

The board definitely catches waves well.

Definitely impressed and looking forward to getting to know this board a bit more! It feels natural coming from predominately surfing my banjo around town.

Last edited:

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
First ride(s) report for my new to me Disorder from @MrSteve. 5-10 x 20.25 x 2.44. ~33 liters. I am 6' x 190ish. Riding True Ames Album asym set.

This is the widest non-fish I own, so that is pretty noticeable right away, especially with the more parallel outline. This is the only board currently in my quiver under 2.5" thick but the rails actually feel quite similar in girth to my GX (2.63" with the rails foiled down a bit for this thickness). I like the look but it's pretty weird to sit on with the off center nose.

First session was not ideal, mostly overhead with small but obnoxious ribs in the face going backside. The speed was insane for a more HP feeling board but I occasionally felt like I had to nurse it and was going to slip out. But I also didn't judge too much from this session because of the funky conditions, plus the speed was epic.

Second session, frontside reef wave, same size range with less OH++ sets and more shoulder/head tweeners than the previous session. I got a few fun ones right away and almost immediately figure
d out I hadn't had my back foot far enough over the tail, once I made that change the slipping sensation was gone. There is still a ton of looseness but I felt confident pushing it after that. Got a few steep ones and felt confident.

The board definitely catches waves well.

Definitely impressed and looking forward to getting to know this board a bit more! It feels natural coming from predominately surfing my banjo around town.
Nice! I've been curious to try an Album asym.

Get some pics up once you get a chance.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
You mean longer like 6-0? Maybe when these come in, I'll have a box for my 6-0 Dis... Though I may save it for days my back actually feels good.
I’m 6’3/185 and just hit 40. Told myself no more sub 6’ boards. I feel like I’d prob go more length same as you. Been wanting to try a asym but haven’t sacked up and ordered one.

Reactions: lofatkilla

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
Had my Album Insanity asym out on the weekend. Perfect for the little, tight wedges on offer. Definitely have to have that back foot on the sweet spot, especially when pushing hard off the bottom. I ran it with the TA Album set. I often run it with a Christenson keel on the toe side. Seems to open up that sweet spot and also let’s me push a bit harder off the bottom without fear of sliding out. They’re still quite upright for keels so they keep the turning radius pretty tight. I must admit though it did perform well with the Album set yesterday with only one slight drift off the bottom.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater and jkb

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I really can't keep all the models straight. How do you hipster bros think a longer Lightblender would go? Could it be a mini-stepup for Socal? asking for a friend... LOL
here's your mini stepup. You should buy it, before I do :bricks:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
here's your mini stepup. You should buy it, before I do :bricks:
no naming spots!
EDIT: Pulled the trigger! that twinsman RP was the one I was really eyeing, but was trying to talk myself into the 6'6 LightBlender since it's less similar to anything I've got, but it's really too wide for me at 22.5. Might be able to go pick up the twinsman RP tomorrow. Stocked. Now just gotta thin the herd and get rid of a couple that aren't getting ridden.

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
no naming spots!
EDIT: Pulled the trigger! that twinsman RP was the one I was really eyeing, but was trying to talk myself into the 6'6 LightBlender since it's less similar to anything I've got, but it's really too wide for me at 22.5. Might be able to go pick up the twinsman RP tomorrow. Stocked. Now just gotta thin the herd and get rid of a couple that aren't getting ridden.
nice dude! that'll go great at the local reef