Need to Buy 2 Indestructible Boards: What do You Choose?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
They still ding.

Ask me how I know. :cry:

Stupid boney elbow and forearm.

Took many more years of use to ding my Hess...but my knees were up for the task. :cry:
Was your ding on the bottom? Mine was tagged by an SUP in full trim, I luckily escaped with my life but the board was hit on the rail where the cork wraps around and there was only a hairline fracture. A witness saw the impact and the board shot up in the air. Plus scarcely a dent on the deck and I rode it alot last winter. Was a slight delam but it was in the glass above the cork and there is a full layer below cork so didn't bother me. I nearly got what I paid when I sold it and have another on the way.

I would actually think this would be a good one for Indo durability and riding. I have this tech in small wave board which is kinda meh but in my bigger wave version I like it.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Get an entity in flax and order a custom with more durability to mix it up.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i recall them saying they can vacuum bag a glassjob so theres twice as much cloth and half as much resin used
they said it was super strong

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Gary McNeill Ecotech TreeTech GreenTech EnviroTech WhateverTech recycled foam boards

+ Freaking beautiful, excellent reviews, admirable shaper
- Tons of beautiful alternative shapes, not many conventional shapes. Would basically mean buying two Entities. A normal entity, and an entity pin. Cool sure, but who wants to own two of the same board?
I love my RTT from Gary, but I'm not convinced of the claim that its more durable.

I know that footwells and snap resistance are two very different things, but my RTT in that tech has formed deepish footwells quite quickly. It's not gotten worse, but I did hear him claim in a video something along the lines of "big yeti feet not putting any dents in it" .... which is simply not true in my case...and I have small oriental woman sized feet.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
There was a Coil hidden at Mark & Dave's (Nicaragua) when I was there 9 years ago that could have passed for new. It had survived many Colorado's sessions from those that broke all of their boards and that Zach (the Kiwi manager) liked and would let them borrow.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
I love my RTT from Gary, but I'm not convinced of the claim that its more durable.

I know that footwells and snap resistance are two very different things, but my RTT in that tech has formed deepish footwells quite quickly. It's not gotten worse, but I did hear him claim in a video something along the lines of "big yeti feet not putting any dents in it" .... which is simply not true in my case...and I have small oriental woman sized feet.
Gary told me to expect foot wells and for it to settle. So far it’s been pretty indestructible and it feels like it’s super tough. I know drifter gets good mileage out of his over there. Speaking of which you wouldn’t go wrong with an Outer Island if you can pick one up - always super durable with good glassing.

Reactions: waxfoot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Never heard of coil.
dunno if you're just messing with me but they're one of the OG indestructible surfboard makers outta Florida.

stringerless EPS core inside of fancy vacuum bagged fiber.

there used to be a thread on here many pages long.

they rode great and were very durable.

Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
dunno if you're just messing with me but they're one of the OG indestructible surfboard makers outta Florida.

stringerless EPS core inside of fancy vacuum bagged fiber.

there used to be a thread on here many pages long.

they rode great and were very durable.
Nope, no messing. Think I've seen it mentioned on here, but didn't know what it was. Are they not around anymore?

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Coil with Hawaii Lam
+1 for Coil probably being the most indestructible while still maintaining great flex. But I'd have to say that I much prefer the older Coil constructions to some of the newer versions.

Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It would be helpful to know where you surf in Indo, what size/types of boards you're looking for, and what your general dimensions are especially thickness.

Right off the bat, I think XTR is a fine option but you'll find that most of the durability comes in the form of dent resistance and water intrusion resilience. Good but not that impactful for breakage which is what I'm assuming you're referring to.

Dark Arts, I really don't know. They definitely feel very strong / touch but I'm not sure what would happen if a solid Uluwatu lip landed on one. Also, Indo can have a lot of wind/chatter and Dark Arts has a unique feel that I think is a pretty big gamble for the price.

I'd echo the recommendation on Stretch if you want something super resilient. Of course, you have to dig his shapes but we all know they clearly work in Indo. Go CFT for your shortboard and legacy construction on a 2x4 or Lil Buddy as your step up.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
+1 for Coil probably being the most indestructible while still maintaining great flex. But I'd have to say that I much prefer the older Coil constructions to some of the newer versions.
definitely. the old Grid were bomber and rode super well.

on a windy day I had one blow off the roof of my car after I unstrapped it. through a gravel parking lot the thing rolled and tumbled for like 50 feet before flying off a bluff and into some trees.

just a few scratches.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Nope, no messing. Think I've seen it mentioned on here, but didn't know what it was. Are they not around anymore?
i think you can still get them. i know a few peeps ordered them in the past year or so.

LiamUnknown

Nep status
Jun 16, 2004
I would go with dark arts purely based off what i've seen john john riding them in and how they work.