Big Wednesday coming on 12/2/20

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Hit the road before light. *****'* hike in parking looked like a when you could park on the bluff/Crack at Jalama (on a good day). Wompy and too long period to the east. Looking forward to videos and gonna try again at lower tide.

Reactions: bluengreen

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Hit the road before light. *****'* hike in parking looked like a when you could park on the bluff/Crack at Jalama (on a good day). Wompy and too long period to the east. Looking forward to videos and gonna try again at lower tide.
I'd think way too long period?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Took off on a wave ate it on takeoff. Got dragged a bit under water but nothing bad. Wasn't even gasping for air or anything. I swam to the surface and right as I took in some fresh central coast air, I felt an incredibly sharp shooting pain in both my chins. Pain like I've never felt before in my chins. Felt like someone stabbed a knife in each one. Reached down to feel my legs to make sure I wasn't being attacked by the landlord. Felt my legs and all good!

But, the pain was intense. I go to get back on my board and when put my board under me and straightened my feet on the tail, the pain got even more intense and I immediately rolled off my board again. I floated trying to figure out wtf was happening. Every time I tried to straighten my feet, intense pain up my chins and top part of the foot. I was having the worst foot cramps I've ever had in my life.
Chinny Kenny is my new band name. I'm going to right some folk songs.

I am a 100 percent with you.

Alabama. Keeping our secrets.
Chynnyrd Kynnyrd is my new Southern Rock outfit's tag. Tarn it up.

• Haha
Reactions: rice and r32

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Watched Noriega this morning, saw two guys and a booger try to paddle out and lawton. Got swept down south of me within 10 minutes :ROFLMAO:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd think way too long period?
For sure, and 300º. It's surfable but meh and I've got a huge project to organize. I'd have driven north and explored a bit if I had the day off.

Reactions: rice

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Just flipped on a Potty cam. One angle showed an empty left peel off.

Flipped on an OB Cam. Holy death on a plate. I saw what, at thigh high around here, is a taggable end-section. I don't want to know how long you'd be under water if you hit the lip on that. Probably for the count.

And WTF is all that mess out the back? Just rando capping here and there; are those reefs, sand piled up under water out the back? Not even sure how large some of that outside might be.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Just flipped on a Potty cam. One angle showed an empty left peel off.

Flipped on an OB Cam. Holy death on a plate. I saw what, at thigh high around here, is a taggable end-section. I don't want to know how long you'd be under water if you hit the lip on that. Probably for the count.

And WTF is all that mess out the back? Just rando capping here and there; are those reefs, sand piled up under water out the back? Not even sure how large some of that outside might be.
It's called the "Outer Bar" and it's actually part of a larger bar called the "Great Bar" of San Francisco, an enormous horseshoe of sand that extends from the Potato Patch, outside of the Marin Headlands, to the South Patch, which runs to Ocean Beach, a full 5 miles away.

And yes, it's been surfed, once, by local charger Doc Renneker. He said of his one wave ridden out there, it was bigger than anything he's ridden at Mavericks.

Last edited:

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
It's called the "Outer Bar" and it's actually part of a larger bar called the "Great Bar" of San Francisco, an enormous horseshoe of sand that extends from the Potato Patch, outside of the Marin Headlands, to the South Patch, which runs to Ocean Beach, a full 5 miles away.

And yes, it's been surfed, once, by local charger Doc Renneker.

Just looked at it from Sutro Heights.The sand bars to the north of the Littoral Cell are all breaking with feathering crests. The sand bars that go straight towards the Farallon Islands are breaking(looks a little more burgery.

Container ships seem to be lining up to shoot the channel. One went through very slowly. I have heard in the past they have actually closed the channel because of large surf.

130743684_10157257791052024_5710301889846133721_o.jpg

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
No telling how big those waves on the outer outer bars and potato patch are right now. They are way out at sea, like the outer reefs of Oahu . Probably 25-30 feet today?

Reactions: santacruzin

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Just looked at it from Sutro Heights.The sand bars to the north of the Litteral Cell are all breaking with feathering crests. The sand bars that go straight towards the Farallon Islands are breaking(looks a little more burgery.

Container ships seem to be lining up to shoot the channel. One went through very slowly. I have heard in the past they have actually closed the channel because of large surf.

View attachment 102001
Looking quite disorganized up there. I would have thought it would be like the last swell. Mavericks looks clean.

I've seen the shipping channel leading into the Gate full of white water from huge waves at Potato Patch. Pretty dangerous stuff for boaters.

Pismo has some serious erosion happening already.

beach.jpg

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Looking quite disorganized.

I've seen the shipping channel leading into the Gate full of white water from huge waves at Potato Patch. Pretty dangerous stuff for boaters.
yeah it is very raw. The entrance to the bay almost looks closed out but for the seemingly narrow channel, like on the map. There are a couple of local mysto spots that might be on but that is all.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
yeah it is very raw. The entrance to the bay almost looks closed out but for the seemingly narrow channel, like on the map. There are a couple of local mysto spots that might be on but that is all.
Yah I know the spots you speak up and they can hold pretty sizable. There is one well inside the bay too that I wonder if it's breaking. It's a once-every-10-years type of spot.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Woke, have you ever seen it this big? This is as big as it's been since I started paying attention 5 years ago.
well at this size it is hard to tell. Close

I have never seen VFW have breaks line up for miles out to sea like today. And yesterday afternoon at Noriega see a wave train of a dozen waves line up as stacked lines and peel from 'miles' out.

An old local said the largest he has seen the breaking waves would register on the local seismograph. That swell they closed the bay entrance. /shrug/

It's all big.:censored:

Reactions: Mr Doof

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
It's big here. Too big for all but our deep water reefs which are holding but as usual, wind is a bit wonky. Biggest spots are pushing 20'. Smaller spots in 12' range. Gonna drive towards Morro to check a few more spots.

Definitely not the biggest I've ever seen on the Central Coast, which was Fall of the 97/98 El Nino. But still pretty damn big. There is a lot of sand getting blasted and moved around. Will be interesting to see where it goes.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I went for a paddle on Saturday and last night. Just cruising from China Beach. I still can't surf but I can finally paddle, albeit painfully. It feels good to get in the water one way or the other.

There was way more energy last night than on Saturday.
For a cool view, head up on Lincoln to the turn out as the elevation climbs from Baker heading to GG. Pretty great perspective of the Patch.
Today looks ridiculous.
Might have a look this afternoon.I can see whitewater on the headlands from my window. That never happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluengreen