Album Surfboards

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Sometimes an OTR just speaks to you. 6'8" x 19.5 x 2.5 Twinsman Asym. Bough it right off the website. PU. I've only used this a few times. Got it for bigger long-period days, of which there have been zero since buying it. I usually ride 6' or shorter and 20.5 wide boards. Had it out in 2-4ft 12 second swell and had an absolute blast. Cannot wait for a good winter day.

almbum_asym_twinsman_deck.jpg

album_asym_twinsman_bottom.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Craig looks like he shouldn't surf as well as he does, if that makes any sense?

It was nice to see him high line a few sections and relax a bit between turns. Maybe it's the boar or maybe he's just finally gotten enough foam under his feet.

Anyways, I like his reviews because the waves he's surfing are much more relatable to what I normally surf than lower trestles.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
what's the consensus on Varial? I know I've heard Matt said he likes shaping the Townsend asym in Varial foam. Anyone have one?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
what's the consensus on Varial? I know I've heard Matt said he likes shaping the Townsend asym in Varial foam. Anyone have one?
I don't have a Townsend, but here's my take on Varial. I've had a NB2 for over a year and a half and ride it almost everyday (swell permitting). It's really light, a little on the stiff side, but pretty similar to other alt techs (Future Flex, Hyfi, Spine-Tek). Mine was glassed at Varial with their Infused Glass. I found it dents really easily, not like regular footwell denting, I'm talking about you can see indentations of my fingertips on the bottom side of the rails from duckdiving. With that said, it's easy to take them out with a heat gun.

I'm a little skeptical on how waterproof the foam is over a long period of time. I had a little pinhole on the tip of the nose and it seemed like the foam was retreating ever so slightly over a few months. I went for an old man air on Thanksgiving and did a sort of splits (didn't have wax all the way up to the nose like them groms) and my ankle bone cracked the edge of the nose, so I repaired that whole area. The foam didn't feel wet after I kept it out of the water for two days before the repair. My Varial NB2 was noticeably lighter than my smaller (5'6 vs 5'8) Pyzel Astro Pop in XTR/SL-C construction, but the Pyzel also had two additional FCSII plugs.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2016
Seems like a nice guy with an honest review. On a side note, does he have a broken right wrist? ... looks mildly strange being at a right angle like that

Reactions: trifish

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Craig looks like he shouldn't surf as well as he does, if that makes any sense?

It was nice to see him high line a few sections and relax a bit between turns. Maybe it's the boar or maybe he's just finally gotten enough foam under his feet.

Anyways, I like his reviews because the waves he's surfing are much more relatable to what I normally surf than lower trestles.
Yeah, he's clearly a pretty competent surfer but his style is pretty spazzy. No judgement, I'm sure mine isn't much better. I like those fins a lot. Reminds me I need to put those in my Stretch quad and see how they go.

Reactions: trifish

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Came here to say I really, really like my Lightbender. It's an EXCELLENT SD Daily driver.

Goes vertical, good backside, good balance of drive, riding it with the album gemeni fins.

Been riding it exclusively for a month+

Haven't ridden my RP Twinsman yet :oops::unsure:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
was surprised to see a couple Albums at my local shop, which has kinda random mix of their own shapes, hipster labels, and bigger brands. Plasmic and Twinsman, both in my dims... for less than on Album's site. Tempting. Bit curious about the bottom concave on the Plasmac but probably more likely to get sucked into the 5'10 Twinsman with a nice olive green tint. I really need another swallowtail twin. LOL. Anyone use non-Album fins on theirs? I've got Akilas and T1s

Reactions: Aruka