Big Wednesday coming on 12/2/20

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
First videos coming in from Jaws. Looks big and offshore.

• Wow
Reactions: Boneroni

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
surflies hype in full effect here. randos rolling in since mid morning. tacomas and sprinters. boards up top stacked 4 deep. couple 3 guys each. this should be fun come morning
tomorrow is gonna be a mess.

whatever its always a shitshow these days, 1'-15" doesnt matter.

Ahh, the JOYS of Work From Home. <3

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
surflies hype in full effect here. randos rolling in since mid morning. tacomas and sprinters. boards up top stacked 4 deep. couple 3 guys each. this should be fun come morning
I expect a full video report of the carnage.

What's funny is the real massacre is happening next Tuesday with it 15' @ 20 (or have I said too much)? I'm quite content with the weekend being between swells; I want nothing to do with that madness next week. :roflmao:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
15' @ 20? Them's Mavs numbers. I'm not too worried about getting waves tomorrow morning. Saturday will be the real sh!t show.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
this thing hit 9.4@21 on the CA buoy today. Surflie is claiming SD will be 5-8 and good Friday when it peaks. My guess is to get ready for a bunch of wide-eyed kooks bouncing around on 6'1"s and shitting themselves on the sets, especially at certain deepwater magnets.

Reactions: santacruzin

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Harvest buoy is 7.8 @ 22

Papa buoy is 17.9 @ 15.4

Not showing here yet, but deep water spots going to be :drowning:

Be careful out there guys. First big swell of the winter and it's going to pack a punch.

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I got glassy shoulder high waves yesterday. Maybe a couple of head high sets.

Today looks about the same.

Gas up the jetskis and wax the rhino chasers.

EDIT: Just saw a slightly overhead set. It's a little bigger. Maybe it builds.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Gas up the jetskis and wax the rhino chasers.
Great White Swamis!

I just went to the OB overview cam. Nobody out the back. Looked to be what I assume is "inside bar" and the paddle out still looked teh sux. Saw some guy getting a little beatswept but looked like he might hit a seam/rip during a lull. A couple others checking it, a couple headed to the water's edge.

The first wave I saw looked almost exactly like a good A-frame at P-Squaw. Twin blowouts on offer. The rest have been a bit walled.

Questions for OB faka; other faka surfing grunty/canyon beachbreak input welcome as well.

1. The swell angle, if any, looked to be slight WNW, or to produce what I would expect would be a drift down-littoral towards Southerstan. But the surfer looked to be getting pushed upcoast towards the Gate. Is that the bar he was on/trough influencing current around that bar is pushing towards a rip slightly upcoast of him, or is that incoming tide effect water streaming into the Gate/Bay I'm seeing?

2. Rate this morning's paddle out. It didn't look like a straight up Metallica video, but it was pretty obvious duck diving anything in that soup would suck, as would trying to fling foam into the next wave. It looked beautiful when that first teepee folded, peeled, and blew out, but watching the paddle out and wave timing/interval, it looked like "that's why there's nobody out".

3. The guy I saw paddling, he got no green water to paddle. Fckng none. Between the actual time submerged, and when the roiling boil subsided enough to start paddling again, he was barely making any ground into the consistent surf. Looked more like he was just waiting to get beatswept to a rip zone and hope to catch a break. Is it just endlessly flinging foam, or do you at times get solid water to row?

4. Is there a tradeoff between board that gets underneath the steamroller a bit and won't dislocate your shoulder(s) trying to hold it, and the larger board that surfaces and stables off better, covers more ground in the clear, but is a beach and a half when ducking? Or is choosing something chippy a rarity?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Foggy at Mavericks. Conditions in OB, SF look nearly flawless. Clean lines, light offshore. Imagine when those horizon line sets start rolling in. Gonna get the heart pumping. :jamon: