SF - ideas on where to live?

Bayview

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 21, 2009
NJ
I still have love for SF and the Bay Area. So many good memories there. It's no worse than LA, Portland or Seattle.
How‘d all these places evolve to their current condition?

my pops was an aviator at moffett field in the day. Great memories. My sister lives in the Bay Area and the company I work for has a facility out there.

everytime I visit, I think Jesus help us if this is the future for the rest of us. great To visit, even greater leaving. It just not for me and That’s ok

Reactions: Kaido and r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
How‘d all these places evolve to their current condition?
Combo of idiot local politicians, population explosion, and most of all, greed.

I think there is a definitive area when a city grows too big, and can no longer deal with it's problems adequately. At that point, it's all down hill.

Reactions: grapedrink

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal

I think there is a definitive area when a city grows too big, and can no longer deal with it's problems adequately. At that point, it's all down hill.
^ add a lot of $$$ to drive the downfall.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house

plus, it’s what kind of public behavior/deviance the taxpayers are willing to accept.

the future looks bright!

:dancing:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Massive displacement of middle class families is a pretty sure fire way to blow a hole in the core of community.

Also, Getting old and moving away is a sure fire way to feel disconnected from a community you were once endeared to. It's easy to overlook any charms of a neighborhood, community, and city when all you do is drive in and out looking for all the stuff that closed after you and your friends moved away and wonder why those businesses were no longer relevant.

Nostalgia is a powerful drug that often distorts perceptions of the present reality.

Last edited:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit

It's called the X factor of population development. At least that's the term we used in banking back in the 90's.

There is a fixed number, X, where when population grows to (X+1) the entire local population shifts towards competition, away from the sense of community.

It's that point where keeping up with the Joneses (neighbors) becomes more important than celebrating your neighbors successes as your own.

Noone knows exactly what X is, there's a combination of factors that determine it, among them developable space. San Francisco suffers in this category more than any other.

This the sensation that The City returns to its old "Self" every time an earthquake, or in this case a pandemic, strikes.

Reactions: r32

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It's called the X factor of population development. At least that's the term we used in banking back in the 90's.

There is a fixed number, X, where when population grows to (X+1) the entire local population shifts towards competition, away from the sense of community.

It's that point where *keeping up with the Joneses (neighbors) becomes more important than celebrating your neighbors successes as your own.

Noone knows exactly what X is, there's a combination of factors that determine it, among them developable space. San Francisco suffers in this category more than any other.

This the sensation that The City returns to its old "Self" every time an earthquake, or in this case a pandemic, strikes.
*Real Estate Speculators/investors disrupt the housing market

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Nostalgia is all The City holds for me anymore as well.

The 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90's were a great time to be had in The City

How soon will I again, or anyone for that matter, have Greg Allman and Warren Haynes getting drunk and baked after a show at the Cow Palace, playing acoustic guitar together and singing until sunrise in a living room full of 15-20 wasted costumed halloween revellers? (Only masks, those for costume purposes)

Yeah. Nostalgia is about it for me when The City is concerned.

Yeah. Celebrate the depravity and known addicts/drunks/informants of a bygone era and denigrate the same place and people when you grow out of it. Classic

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
this clearly is not something that strictly applies to the bay area.
that's just the theme of the thread.

same thing can happen anywhere. it's just the facts.

and yes, investors and real estate speculators are a side effect of this phenomena, and most definitely
contribute to the decline of an area, but they are not the sole cause that's for sure.

places become "hip", until they get so "hip" that they become uncool.

the fads pass, then when the masses leave, they become livable again.

happens everywhere. ebb and flow, just like the tide.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Don't get me started. I could write a book. A few highlights of the gone or unlikely to repeat:
1. Playland and Fleishhacker
2. riding a bike all over the zoo
3. Leon's BBQ on Sloat, the Portafino, Cafe Maria, and Pinocchio in North Beach, each with a personal history
4. Sol y luna downtown -was the coolest dance club in the 90's-so many hotties
5. Offering a joint to Albert King in his bus in front of the GAMH (he declined)
6. Playing gigs there, standing in the same spot as so many great musicians I've seen there
7. Seeing BB and Freddy King at the same show at Winterland, being busted by Bill Graham
8. Seeing dozens of other shows there from Robin Trower to Marshall Tucker
9. playing solo at the fillmore in 1988
10. The follies on 16th (a working man's strip club, where the girls would come to the edge of the stage, put their feet on the arms of your chair and then lower their business in your face) We were in HS, and went ape sh!t over those slightly over the hill gals. They loved the attention until one of my classmates lost control, and in a drunken haze, jumped up on the stage, and manged to trip the performer, who fell on her ass. This led to our immediate 86.
11. The slot car tracks at the beach and on 18th st.
12. Playing Rick's brick house weekly on Mission st. in the 90's-$50 a man and all the beer you could drink was the pay. We drank so much we were convinced we were getting the better of the deal.
13. Playing the top of the mark for a year in 2000
14. Catching fifty crabs in an hour on the pier at fort point
15. Limiting in an hour or two just outside the GGB on salmon trips
16. Bombing secret hills in the zoo on skateboards
17. Paul McCartney and wings, Van halen with DLR at the cow palace, Peter Frampton at day on the green, the Stones in Oakland..
18. the mission district and all that occurred with the latin rock scene in the ten years I spent in a band there
19. gigging at the paradise, the dna, the last day saloon, Ms. Pearls, the corona, and other long gone establishments
20. Seeing Robin Williams at the holy city zoo.

And on and on. Not the same, and some changes have been for the good. I'm not leaving anytime soon. The techies and the bums can split. My whole life is here. OB is a bit too much work for me most of the time, but I live five minutes from LM so I get plenty of fun days in the water hanging with a great crew of old dogs, some of whom were rippers in their day. I work in the city, sleep in ptown. Hard to top it.

Nostalgia is all The City holds for me anymore as well.

Still capitalize it out of respect for said Nostalgia.

Hurts to know all the old haunts have been shut down long ago. There's still a few

Exactly the point, it used to be incomparably better than all those tied together.

The 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90's were a great time to be had in The City.

Now? I fear not so much in comparison.

How soon will I again, or anyone for that matter, have Greg Allman and Warren Haynes getting drunk and baked after a show at the Cow Palace, playing acoustic guitar together and singing until sunrise in a living room full of 15-20 wasted costumed halloween revellers? (Only masks, those for costume purposes)

Yeah. Nostalgia is about it for me when The City is concerned.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Don't get me started. I could write a book. A few highlights of the gone or unlikely to repeat:
3. Leon's BBQ on Sloat, the Portafino, Cafe Maria, and Pinocchio in North Beach, each with a personal history
5. Offering a joint to Albert King in his bus in front of the GAMH (he declined)
6. Playing gigs there, standing in the same spot as so many great musicians I've seen there
7. Seeing BB and Freddy King at the same show at Winterland, being busted by Bill Graham
10. The follies on 16th (a working man's strip club, where the girls would come to the edge of the stage, put their feet on the arms of your chair and then lower their business in your face) We were in HS, and went ape sh!t over those slightly over the hill gals. They loved the attention until one of my classmates lost control, and in a drunken haze, jumped up on the stage, and manged to trip the performer, who fell on her ass. This led to our immediate 86.
12. Playing Rick's brick house weekly on Mission st. in the 90's-$50 a man and all the beer you could drink was the pay. We drank so much we were convinced we were getting the better of the deal.
17. Paul McCartney and wings, Van halen with DLR at the cow palace, Peter Frampton at day on the green, the Stones in Oakland..
18. the mission district and all that occurred with the latin rock scene in the ten years I spent in a band there
19. gigging at the paradise, the dna, the last day saloon, Ms. Pearls, the corona, and other long gone establishments

And on and on. Not the same, and some changes have been for the good. I'm not leaving anytime soon. The techies and the bums can split. My whole life is here. OB is a bit too much work for me most of the time, but I live five minutes from LM so I get plenty of fun days in the water hanging with a great crew of old dogs, some of whom were rippers in their day. I work in the city, sleep in ptown. Hard to top it.
is mazetti's still in business in ptown?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

My Dad's class picture. SF has always been pretty diverse. (y)

I remember him telling me stories about how his parent's would give him a nickel and then he'd go with friends to the waterfront and he had to decide whether to buy bait for a hand line and go fishing, or, buy a bag full of candy. I grew up in So. Cal suburbia and visiting my grandparent's house in SF was like visiting a haunted house (old victorian). I was always scared in that house, it was big, dark, old and creaky.

18278678_1727173983966669_1681470172778269004_o.jpg