Broken Tibia

haar

Michael Peterson status
Apr 28, 2011
Oceanside
Super bummed! Snapped my shin bone last Saturday morning while checking the surf and had surgery Monday morning. They put a titanium rod in behind my knee, into the center of the tibia, down to my ankle and 4 screws in my leg. While drugged up and getting prepped for surgery the surgeon came to talk to me. It sounded more like a disclaimer. It wasn't conforming but what was I going to do? The one thing that really stuck out was him saying there is a chance I have knee "discomfort" for the rest of my life.

Has anyone else gone through this? What was your experience? How long did it take to get back to 100% leg function/ strength. Do you have any pain now that it's fully healed?

huryanpost

Michael Peterson status
Dec 9, 2010
some pain I’ve found out,yes, will be
reaccurring.
I’ve just moved through it so far.
next week might be different. :shark:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Tibial plateau?
My kid had a TPF. It occurred on lift-off going for a dunk during practice. It was ugly. When I got to him I was wondering if he was going to walk again. He blew it apart. I'm telling him he's going to be fine and I was pretty convinced I was lying. He lived to dunk again however. Had scouts coming to him re a scholarship. Ran a few 4.36-8 40's on the repair. (dumbass decided to quit) But then he was 16-17 years old when the injury occurred. Years later now and he has no pain in that knee. They had talked about going back in and removing all the hardware, but with no pain, he decided to leave it in place. It it ain't broke...

Anyway, he has zero pain and no limitations. But he was very young. There was some talk of growth plate damage but that never materialized.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: haar and john4surf