Mental Health thread

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
When did living with family become such a negative?
when she's 86 years old, has retention issues and should be in a retirement home, but cannot afford one.

thank goodness for my two older brothers and younger sister that at least one of us stepped up so she's not living under a bridge somewhere.

for fooks sake life is wierd sometimes.

Reactions: Mr Doof

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
A girl I dated for 5 years, from senior year of high school to early adulthood, lived with, planned on marrying, and hadn't seen since 2011, called me two nights ago. Three hours after she called, we were in our old highschool baseball outfield, naked in the wet grass under the night time lights.
You think I'd know better at this age.

Mental state= :foreheadslap::giggle::ROFLMAO::unsure::trout:

Like he^ said "for fooks sake life is wierd sometimes."

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
A girl I dated for 5 years, from senior year of high school to early adulthood, lived with, planned on marrying, and hadn't seen since 2011, called me two nights ago. Three hours after she called, we were in our old highschool baseball outfield, naked in the wet grass under the night time lights.

Aint nothing wrong with a little of that semi familiar strange.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
my oldest son turned 30 yesterday...when i asked him if he was gonna party, he replied "yeah, totally celebrating the fact that i'm 30 and live with my mother". he's bumming but he's saving a ton of money, and has more in the bank at 30 than i did at 45. he's gotta make a move some time, but he doesn't have to be in a rush to go rent something, which essentially means paying someone else's mortgage. he's doing better than he knows.
Different parents for me.

Graduated from college, worked 6 months, quit, then visited the west coast Mexico and the British Isles, came back to stay with the parents till I found a "real" job.

A week after I'm home, dear old mom says, "You need to start paying rent."

Later that night, dear old dad gave me the "Mantle of manhood" speech, which more or less was move out ASAP and save whatever money you have left to find a job.

Started paying rent, put my back into lookin for a decent job, found one, then moved to Oakland (from Portland) with my girlfriend 6 months later with a suitcase in her VW Bug filled with her stuff.

The folks did not give back the 6 months of rent, not that I expected it (my girlfriend was thinking they would..."they're just trying to teach you a lesson, they'll give it back").

As I like where I am today, I suppose I should appreciate how I got here....I really should have recorded that 'Mantle of Manhood "speech...he actually worked in that phrasing into the opening exposition.

100% familiar. Lucky me, she not only looks just the same, she smells the same, even works just as I remember.
Like a board pulled out from under the porch for the day that hasn't come in years, still has wax on it.
:waving:
Can you say the above from her point of view?:dancing:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

Fucking is how I self regulate.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
been feeling a lot better the past 10 days or so. Still kinda got a short fuse but I def felt like I was bottoming out just before Election Day.

But people are struggling. About 5 days ago I walked by the local trailer park and this older guy I always chat with when we pass was in the midst of some kinda family crisis. Police, EMT's, family arriving in tears, etc. Looked bad. None of my business, so I just kept on walking. In the following days I noticed them moving out a wrapped mattress. Then they started bringing in sheetrock and paint. Today I was talking to his neighbor who's dog plays with mine and she confirmed what I had thought. Dudes son-in-law shot himself in the head in his bedroom. His toddler is the cutest kid who always plays with my dog, now the kid is gonna grow up without a father. The older guy is a quiet but nice guy who seems overly decent as does his family whenever they're around. Even though I don't really know these people it's tough to witness them going through the motions of picking up the pieces. In passing I can see his grandson or nephew helping him with the cleanup and there is so much gravity to the way they're moving.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
for fooks sake life can be wierd at times.

you know how you become aware you are over the hill and on the downhill slide in life?

nothing makes absolutely NO sense anymore.

my dads wise words... living them daily over here!!!!!

Reactions: ~rwright~

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005

Can you give me her number? She sounds cool.

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
my oldest son turned 30 yesterday...when i asked him if he was gonna party, he replied "yeah, totally celebrating the fact that i'm 30 and live with my mother".
Back when I was young and even dumber than I am now, I used to diss on a friend of mine that lived with his girlfriend at his parents house until he was 30.

Then he paid cash for a house in southern california with 50 citrus and avocado trees and a guest house. It even has AN ARTESIAN WELL. IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. Totally amazing piece of land. Cash cow.

Now I use him as an example of financial wisdom when I tell my kids how they don't have to be a wage whore like me.

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Different parents for me.

Graduated from college, worked 6 months, quit, then visited the west coast Mexico and the British Isles, came back to stay with the parents till I found a "real" job.

A week after I'm home, dear old mom says, "You need to start paying rent."

Later that night, dear old dad gave me the "Mantle of manhood" speech, which more or less was move out ASAP and save whatever money you have left to find a job.

Started paying rent, put my back into lookin for a decent job, found one, then moved to Oakland (from Portland) with my girlfriend 6 months later with a suitcase in her VW Bug filled with her stuff.

The folks did not give back the 6 months of rent, not that I expected it (my girlfriend was thinking they would..."they're just trying to teach you a lesson, they'll give it back").

As I like where I am today, I suppose I should appreciate how I got here....I really should have recorded that 'Mantle of Manhood "speech...he actually worked in that phrasing into the opening exposition.

Can you say the above from her point of view?:dancing:

How much did they charge you a month? $20?

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
ignoring the layoffs and fear by jamming braggadocios rap music

hey at least im not facing 25 to life !

family is doing big thanksgiving next week, dad said dont be a puss
mom said dont come stay safe
my right hand gal at work got fired and im flying solo idk if I will even have time off
I already took a week off at xmas im going to make that happen damnit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I don't want to help derail the "Mental Health" thread by talking about judgements on people who live at home, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have a colleague that has been teaching for about 10 years. He works at the high school he graduated from. He lives in his childhood home with his father and some random, CL room mates.
It feels super pathetic until I consider what his savings account must look like compared to mine. Then it's me that feels pathetic.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't want to help derail the "Mental Health" thread by talking about judgements on people who live at home, but I'm going to do it anyway.

I have a colleague that has been teaching for about 10 years. He works at the high school he graduated from. He lives in his childhood home with his father and some random, CL room mates.
It feels super pathetic until I consider what his savings account must look like compared to mine. Then it's me that feels pathetic.
I'd say that's ok if you have an end game/savings goal that sets you up for something better that isn't 10+ years out.

Reactions: Waterlogged05