SF - ideas on where to live?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
19 was a screw job. Falsely claimed it was about helping old timers and fire victims when it was really about getting rid of the PT break on inherited property and raking in millions. Hell, they should have at least had the integrity to say what it was.

I agree with this.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Sorry not 2016, 2006. Almost 14 years. Long enough for crazy people to offer me three times what I paid, hence the enormous hit I'd have taken from 15.

So you've been a commercial property owner for 4 years? Or you owned a building, then bought another one?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Sorry not 2016, 2006. Almost 14 years. Long enough for crazy people to offer me three times what I paid, hence the enormous hit I'd have taken from 15.

That makes more sense.

Serious question,
How much have your lease agreement rates gone up (In other words: How much were you charging tenants 20 16 years ago vs. now?)

How/What operational expenses have increased in the last 20 16 years?

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Just upgraded to a 3 bedroom house on 9th Avenue and Ortega with a garage, washer dryer, and next door to a nice park for my son. All thanks to the wife's generous salary. Same price we were paying for a two bedroom flat on the noisy and dirty corner of 25th and Balboa. The well-meaning owners didn't know what the hell they were doing when they bought this 100 year old house, and they have had to make a lot of expensive repairs since we moved in (rodent control, plumbing, electrical). They basically refinished the floors, put new countertops and vanities in, upgraded the appliances and put it on the market. We took it because the price was so good and we liked the space and location. Luckily, they are committed to doing things the right way and making us satisfied, but holy sh!t we are beta testing this house while they learn how to be landlords.

Also, OP: Time to get some lumber!
As if almost on cue, I had a sizeable set wave land directly on my head and snap my leash on saturday. Definitely a mistake being on a 6'3. Have been on a 6'8 the past few days which has been amazing. It feels like I have more of a chance out there haha

• Haha
Reactions: the janitor

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I enjoyed this too.
I think you should probably err on the side of surfing, but I never intended to chase the upward mobility a job in SF might offer a young person in the first place.
In my 20's, My favorite answer to the question "what are your plans?" Was "I'm definitely not trying to conquer the world, or buy it."
It's a good thing I chose to surf as much as I did which didn't necessarily make it happen but anyway, surf skills, or the ability to rely on those skills to just go out and snag a few good rides later in life, definitely DOES NOT LAST A LIFETIME!
Do not stray too far from the surf, do not take it for granted down the line. You will most likely end up having to settle for much less than you ever intended.
I've been prioritizing surf since university. I tried to do well at school so that my parents wouldn't bother me and I could get a job that would help feed the surf travel. Been a bit more career focused as of lately, but I think that's more of a function of there's not much else to do... I don't mind it, hopefully it'll pay dividends when some sense of normalcy returns.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
the prices out there are so fooking crazy.

wrap your head around this...

i paid €130k to build in 2003-2004, home was appraised at 225k when finished. no clue what it's worth today with the ups and downs.

my mortgage payment is only 530€/month, annual property tax is only 300€, annual home insurance is only 350€, annual car insurance is 230€. food bill is under 400€/month.

what i don't understand is exactly what you all are getting for all that extra dough you are dishing out?

me? all within a 20 minutes drive from world class waves.

granted, there's only dirt and rocks to kick when you don't surf nor work, but hey, who needs more, right?

i guess it's all the people, malls, restaurants, stores, lack of parking spaces, schools and stuff to do when not working and surfing that you pay for, huh?

:socrazy::foreheadslap::dancing::crazy2:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
the prices out there are so fooking crazy.

wrap your head around this...

i paid €130k to build in 2003-2004, home was appraised at 225k when finished. no clue what it's worth today with the ups and downs.

my mortgage payment is only 530€/month, annual property tax is only 300€, annual home insurance is only 350€, annual car insurance is 230€. food bill is under 400€/month.

what i don't understand is exactly what you all are getting for all that extra dough you are dishing out?

me? all within a 20 minutes drive from world class waves.

granted, there's only dirt and rocks to kick when you don't surf nor work, but hey, who needs more, right?

i guess it's all the people, malls, restaurants, stores, lack of parking spaces, schools and stuff to do when not working and surfing that you pay for, huh?

That’s cool and all, but most of us still need to work :foreheadslap: Most of what we pay for in coastal California is the combination of access to quality well-paying employment in addition to the weather and recreational opportunities.

That could change with the advent of remote work, in which case, maybe you will have some more neighbors soon :dancing:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
That’s cool and all, but most of us still need to work :foreheadslap: Most of what we pay for in coastal California is the combination of access to quality well-paying employment in addition to the weather and recreational opportunities.

That could change with the advent of remote work, in which case, maybe you will have some more neighbors soon :dancing:
Soon?

Stick a fork in that, cause that's done!

Last Sunday, crowded point, met a kid from HB in the water. He lives here with his italian girlfriend. He had the GoPro in his mouth while his sweetiepie shot from the water.

Influencers, no doubt.

Just a few ticks of the clock before I sell my quiver and buy some clubs. Our course was designed by Severiano Ballesteros.

:monkey:

Maybe you've heard of him?

That and some snorkeling and scuba to stay in contact with the ocean and I'm good. The surf's too crowded for my tastes anymore, and lately it just plain causes me by far much more pain than it's worth.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Soon?

Last Sunday, crowded point, met a kid from HB in the water. He lives here with his italian girlfriend. He had the GoPro in his mouth while his sweetiepie shot from the water.

Influencers, no doubt.

Just a few ticks of the clock before I sell my quiver and buy some clubs. Our course was designed by Severiano Ballesteros.

That and some snorkeling and scuba to stay in contact with the ocean and I'm good. The surf's too crowded for my tastes anymore, and lately it just plain causes me by far much more pain than it's worth.
I heard the localism in the Canaries was psychotic, and the one Canary Islander I've seen out, he was arguably the biggest one man crowd I've ever seen. Now it's crowd-blown??

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Soon?

Influencers, no doubt.

Yeah. Which kind of makes my point for me. I would probably have to pay several times more to set myself up the way you have, which would put my monthly nut about the same as what it is now. Only to find myself surrounded by the same fookery I see all around me here :drowning:
Good on you for getting in when you did :beer:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA

Let me see...when not working or surfing, living in San Francisco provides me:

1 A single family home with a yard and a garage that lets me garden, tinker on the workbench, store stuff, and maybe one day, a retirement package (selling the place). Did I mention the garage or as a nephew called it, "Your unfinished bachelor den that smells like surf wax, boiled linseed oil, sawdust, and machine oil."

2 Ability to walk or ride bicycles, from my home to for food, drinks, entertainment, health care, visit friends transit and into SFO (airport) for travels.

3 Close to Hwy 1/101, I-80, for car trips when I get fed up with my fellow humans.

4 "Cultural" events...I know it sounds dorky, but a symphony, or gasp, a play/theatre production can be pretty fun. Maybe not as much fun as rock n roll clubs or other weirdo things in warehouses, or maybe it is just a different sort of fun that rich people have to gussie up so they can cut loose. No matter, fun can be fun even if it can be pretentious highbrow claptrap.

5 Neighborhood festivities! One of my favorites is the Columbus Day street fair in North Beach with the utterly goofy small town parade they have.

6 SF is a small town physically speaking, and I enjoy being able to get around it on foot/bike...like an giant urban playground...admittedly this is much more fun when there isn't a pandemic, and yeah, there are plenty of places I don't bother to go for a variety of reasons, and yeah, the urban-ness gets to me at times.

7 Shopping/"being seen"/'things involving the monetization of personal hygiene'/sporting events isn't something I do for pleasure, nor something I seek out, so those amenities are meh to me, but they do provide a background, and other people seem to like these things and makes them happy, so, humans being social beasts means you got to be comfy around your fellow human, and happy humans are good to be around.

8 After all these years here (longest I've ever living in a single town), a sense of belonging. This exists only my head and a stronger person could probably have this feeling after 6 months anywhere in the world.....maybe, I don't know.

9 All those property taxes I pay and I still have to pay to fix the sidewalk and deal with stupid kids who don't learn at the school I am paying for....you just can't find that angst everywhere for less money.

10 It is the middle of November and I have not turned on the AC since, well, since forever, and the heat? We did just put on the thicker bedding, so maybe no heat gets turned on till January....Think I turned that off 10 months back.

Our course was designed by Severiano Ballesteros.

No, I haven't.

Last edited:

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Rent on the space I lease out is exactly double what it was 14 years ago when I bought the building. PT has gone from 22k to 30k per year. Insurance up about 25%. I see your point in that the PT has not increased as quickly as the rent, but consider that commercial tenants can take a long time to find. I've had about two years of non occupancy in those 14 years. Broker commissions are 6% so that has been another 40k. Maintenance is not significant, although at some point there will be paint, roof, etc. Turnover costs have been significant.

Am I making more money on that space now than 14 years ago? Yes. I'm also paying more in personal income taxes based on that profit. Which is a whole other discussion.

Should we base commercial property tax rates on the profit the owner makes? The rents charged? Or the current system? All I know is I pay the city a sh!t ton of money and they can't be bothered to provide basic services. I can't imagine the money people who own large properties pay. I love SF, born and raised. When I traveled people would always say how much they loved it. Today it is known best for homeless folks shooting up and crapping in the street.

That makes more sense.

Serious question,
How much have your lease agreement rates gone up (In other words: How much were you charging tenants 20 16 years ago vs. now?)

How/What operational expenses have increased in the last 20 16 years?

• Sad
Reactions: the janitor

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Rent on the space I lease out is exactly double what it was 14 years ago when I bought the building. PT has gone from 22k to 30k per year. Insurance up about 25%. I see your point in that the PT has not increased as quickly as the rent, but consider that commercial tenants can take a long time to find. I've had about two years of non occupancy in those 14 years. Broker commissions are 6% so that has been another 40k. Maintenance is not significant, although at some point there will be paint, roof, etc. Turnover costs have been significant.

Am I making more money on that space now than 14 years ago? Yes. I'm also paying more in personal income taxes based on that profit. Which is a whole other discussion.

Should we base commercial property tax rates on the profit the owner makes? The rents charged? Or the current system? All I know is I pay the city a sh!t ton of money and they can't be bothered to provide basic services. I can't imagine the money people who own large properties pay. I love SF, born and raised. When I traveled people would always say how much they loved it. Today it is known best for homeless folks shooting up and crapping in the street.

1) Maybe you need to incorporate?
2) I kinda like the idea of the math of Property tax being tied to rental rates. And yes, you proved the point I was trying to make.

Reactions: MathDebater

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Long Beach has outrageous property taxes. My home is on a 2000 sq FOOT lot, and i pay $12,000 per year.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
National effective average = 1.08%.
California effective average = .77%
Florida effective average = .98%

You sell your house in California and move to Florida spending 100% of the proceeds, you better keep your job, because while your income tax is going to zero, your property tax is going to increase by a good bit.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Property tax is based on assessed value at the time of purchase in California. So, the rate might be low like .77% on average, but if you bought a house recently at the average price of $1M, you have to pay $7700 per year. On the other hand if your parents bought the house in 1975 for $60k, you only pay $500 per year. The tax rate isn't that low in the bay, closer to 2% in most counties. So you have to pay almost $20K/year in taxes to own a small crappy 1200sqft house worth $1M. On the other hand if you buy a house in Sacramento for $500K you can get closer to 2000 sqft and pay half the cost in taxes. Companies in the bay typically pay 20% more, but it's not enough to cover the difference in quality of living. Prop 13 was passed in 1978 that fixed taxes to the assessed value at purchase, which is why there are so many nimby's in the bay (not in my back yard). They talk about needing more housing for lower income, raising taxes to fund social programs to feed the poor etc... but none of them actually pay much in taxes themselves compared to everyone who has to start fresh.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The tax rate isn't that low in the bay, closer to 2% in most counties. So you have to pay almost $20K/year in taxes to own a small crappy 1200sqft house worth $1M. On the other hand if you buy a house in Sacramento for $500K you can get closer to 2000 sqft and pay half the cost in taxes.
Says here the median property tax in SF county is just over $6k, on a median home of $927k. So does that mean most people bought recently, or most people have owned for a long time?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I pay about $6k/year on $500k house in the valley. I think in the bay, especially SF, a large population of home owners are inherited wealth. So yeah, $6k is really low considering 1% on $1M should be $10k. Plus, if you check zillow SF anything in that price range is not really house, but a glorified closet. You see allot of tenant in common contracts in the bay, where multiple owners buy into the same house. It can be a disaster buying into a TIC.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Property tax is based on assessed value at the time of purchase in California. So, the rate might be low like .77% on average, but if you bought a house recently at the average price of $1M, you have to pay $7700 per year. On the other hand if your parents bought the house in 1975 for $60k, you only pay $500 per year. The tax rate isn't that low in the bay, closer to 2% in most counties. So you have to pay almost $20K/year in taxes to own a small crappy 1200sqft house worth $1M. On the other hand if you buy a house in Sacramento for $500K you can get closer to 2000 sqft and pay half the cost in taxes. Companies in the bay typically pay 20% more, but it's not enough to cover the difference in quality of living. Prop 13 was passed in 1978 that fixed taxes to the assessed value at purchase, which is why there are so many nimby's in the bay (not in my back yard). They talk about needing more housing for lower income, raising taxes to fund social programs to feed the poor etc... but none of them actually pay much in taxes themselves compared to everyone who has to start fresh.
You're barking up the wrong tree. Government taxes don't fund and build low income housing construction, developers and private investors do. Increased tax receipts will do nothing to solve that issue. The private sector has no incentive to build low income housing because the cost of building is so friggin high, especially in SF, while aside form the cost of land is because of permits and fees. Therefore they may as well just spend a bit more on the finishes to turn them into luxury condos.

If you really want to increase the amount of low income hosuing, then maybe don't require that contractors jump through the same hoops and pay the same fees that they would for any other type of housing?

Reactions: Ifallalot