Foil Session Logs

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I am only half heartedly working at it. The key for now is to exit with speed. But that means kicking out if a perfectly good wave to catch the wave behind....and that is against my principles ;-)

Haha pumping is pretty fun. Especially on a high aspect. You can go as fast out to sea as you can riding the wave.

Edit: The point is to be on foil for as long as possible. So a 10-15 second wave can turn into 30-45 second rides. Which turns 45 second rides into 1:30 + regularly.

I watched a bunch of drone footage of a foil session. I would just check the ride length at the start of each clip. If the ride was less than 30 seconds long I knew nothing good happened haha.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019
I'm always pulling off early. Just hoping I can pump out to a much bigger wave and get on it well before it breaks.

Mar 20, 2019
Hdip, took the 760 out today. Short fuse, shimmed 390. Waves were overhead, it felt good! Got a few doubles, maybe a triple. It does pump pretty good if you have plenty of speed. But once you slow down it's hard to get it going again.

Haha wish I could pump between waves on the 900, then switch to 760 once I'm on waves.

• Haha
Reactions: grendel95 and Hdip

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
I'm always pulling off early. Just hoping I can pump out to a much bigger wave and get on it well before it breaks.
Still generally riding too far in to pump out to the bombs outside, good thing the local has a nice reform on the inside.

Rode the MFC 1400 on the rising swell yesterday afternoon, got a few connections and turns off the usual peak. Tried to catch a couple bombs on the outside reef, but ended up mostly chasing a shifting peak back. Some days are just better for the SUP foil, the guy outside of me was able to get in early and was streaking on some big walls.

Saw Keoki get a couple good rides!

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Got to the beach today and it looked dismal, but my brother wanted to paddle out. So I start setting up. I quickly realized I had my mast, 900 wing, but no fuse or tail wing. I didn't put my fuse with 760 and tail wing in the car. So dumb. A quick text message to the LAFC whatsapp thread later I get a reply from a guy that lives nearby and offers to let me borrow stuff.

So I got to ride a crazy short fuselage, 860 front wing, 460 back wing. I'd only ridden a 460 once before so I was excited to try all of that.

The good. The crazy short fuse is nice. It goes up and down in pitch super fast. So if you touch down on a pump it's real easy to get off the water and up high again. I'd be fine with that as my only fuse I think. (I currently ride an ultrashort)

The fine. The 860 front wing is nice. It definitely pumps better than the 760. It has more low end pump than the 900 too. You can be going slower and pump it up to speed. That was nice as the waves were terrible today. The downside. It's a lot more drag than the 900. I had to move the mast forward to be able to take off otherwise it just hung on the drop and wouldn't get going. It turns slightly better than the 900 to I think, but I didn't get to test that out really. Just pump runs. I think the 860 would be a good wing for someone to learn on. The 900 is a better wing though. More speed and pumps faster and just that little bit more efficiently.

The bad. I don't like the 460 tail wing. It's way to wide. I'd definitely chop one if I had it. The 420 is probably the solution to what I'm feeling. Haven't had a chance to ride one of those yet though.

Mar 22, 2020
Got to the beach today and it looked dismal, but my brother wanted to paddle out. So I start setting up. I quickly realized I had my mast, 900 wing, but no fuse or tail wing. I didn't put my fuse with 760 and tail wing in the car. So dumb. A quick text message to the LAFC whatsapp thread later I get a reply from a guy that lives nearby and offers to let me borrow stuff.

So I got to ride a crazy short fuselage, 860 front wing, 460 back wing. I'd only ridden a 460 once before so I was excited to try all of that.

The good. The crazy short fuse is nice. It goes up and down in pitch super fast. So if you touch down on a pump it's real easy to get off the water and up high again. I'd be fine with that as my only fuse I think. (I currently ride an ultrashort)

The fine. The 860 front wing is nice. It definitely pumps better than the 760. It has more low end pump than the 900 too. You can be going slower and pump it up to speed. That was nice as the waves were terrible today. The downside. It's a lot more drag than the 900. I had to move the mast forward to be able to take off otherwise it just hung on the drop and wouldn't get going. It turns slightly better than the 900 to I think, but I didn't get to test that out really. Just pump runs. I think the 860 would be a good wing for someone to learn on. The 900 is a better wing though. More speed and pumps faster and just that little bit more efficiently.

The bad. I don't like the 460 tail wing. It's way to wide. I'd definitely chop one if I had it. The 420 is probably the solution to what I'm feeling. Haven't had a chance to ride one of those yet though.
I don't know when Axis is gonna release informations about 2021. I heard some informations but it would be nice to have all the details.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005

I have the 420 and ultrashort fuse, but don't have any other rear wings to compare it to. You're welcome to try it if you're down this way.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Pumped back out and connected a second wave. First time today. Back at it tomorrow. My legs are gonna be dead.
Got my first 2 for 1 a few weeks ago too, felt like losing my virginity again. Haven't made one since :) Though haven't really been trying either. Surf season in PNW is now happening, swells a few times a week, which means foil surf potential on the daily. And that means enough waves to lessen the desperation factor, can start experimenting with gear and techniques, vs the down-the-line you-better-make-it panic routine :ROFLMAO:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
HAHA one of the other LAFC guys to hit his first 2 for 1 a couple weeks back told me in the water. That was just like losing my virginity. It didn't last long. It was really ugly. But it felt amazing!

Reactions: surfdad

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Had a pretty fun session yesterday ... got that flow comfort level, where my legs stop being concrete pillars, can feel the foil come to live under lighter feet. A buddy's GF filmed us briefly http://instagr.am/p/CHOexzFjLsH/ I am racing the section from way behind, we criss crossed and were set up to do it again but I hit a piece of wood, doh!

Also fun to play around with surfing app ... using an iphone tucked into wetsuit. I can't get dawn patrol to work, this is watersports tracker. Next level nerd-ery: 20 waves in 2.5 hours, top speed 29kmh, 10.8km covered. The green is me walking back up the rivermouth/point to save some paddling. It will be interesting to see how speed may vary on different wings, though hard to isolate the variables between sessions, bigger more powerful waves = more speed of course.

Attachments

Reactions: surfdad and sozzle

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
What do you guys think of Tom carrols soft surf helmet?

Reactions: surfdad and sozzle

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
I wear a gath sup foiling. Nerdy as hell, but I don't care about that. The other negative though....high speed wipeouts, falling from high up, the extra surface area does increase whiplash potential. However, worth it, especially winging.

Surf foiling, I found it's too much extra weight, get neck pain after paddling for hours. The soft rugby helmet maybe a happy medium -- there is a guy in San Fran who wears one kite foiling. You could wear it under a hood too (PNW concern....wearing a helmet over a hood requires a Mars Attacks size)

Reactions: sozzle

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
What do you guys think of Tom carrols soft surf helmet?

Looking at one of those for my kid, his gath won’t fit now he’s wearing a hood and like Juan says the oversize option can offer some neck injury problems.would probably put the soft helmet over the hood and still have a lowish profile.

Reactions: ghostshaper