4/3 recommendations

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Trestles is mushy most of the time, but still a good wave. The lane is a fun wave IMO.
Trestles is rippable, a swell magnet, and offers a lot of ridable waves of acceptable quality.

Personally, in my limited experience at the Lane, it seems most of the waves out there are of generally poor quality and rather burgery. There are multiple takeoff spots that can have you paddling around like a fool and plenty of people out there who have put the time in that know where to sit for the rippable ones - and there are rippable ones.

As a blow-in I do not behave in an aggressive manner so this makes it even less fun because I know that while there may be good waves within reach I'm probably not getting one if I'm behaving myself.

In terms of what the world has on offer I give it a 3/10.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I once surfed the lane at 6ft Duffy, code orange on Surfline.

kinda mostly burgers, and I agree with what’s been said.

id rather rincon all things equal.

Reactions: MathDebater

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Not only is it not technically in Northern California, it's south of the geographic center of the state.

There are two schools of thought on this.

1. SoCal = Border to Point Conception, CenCal = Point Conception through anywhere where locals will be mean to you, NorCal = Santa Cruz and SF, north of that doesn't exist. The surfers north of SF are fine with you all believing this.

2. SoCal = Border to Pt C, CenCal = Pt C to SF, NorCal = Marin to Oregon. Sorry, see #1. North of SF doesn't exist. Marin County is a fantasy land first referenced in a Dead song, like Fennario, Narnia, or Honah Lee. Bob Weir made it up while high. "Mendocino" and "Humboldt" are marketing terms created by Madison Avenue to sell weed grown in LA warehouses, kind of like Haagen-Dazs ice cream and Templeton Rye. Del Norte is actually just south Portland.
:roflmao: Thanks for that great explanation! Covered some things I didn't know. I reckon N Cal is a fantastic place, including the bits of N Cal that aren't in N Cal. If I didn't have things like permanent residency to worry about I would have stayed.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
Trestles is mushy most of the time, but still a good wave. The lane is a fun wave IMO.
oh I think the surf on Mars must be so good that everywhere else looks rubbish in comparison. ReForest I have never surfed Trestles or been to Southern California (or have I?), but Noel Salas makes it look like heaps of shreddable fun.

I'm a glass half full sort of person and here in Oz currently thriving on a mixture of junk and open ocean beachbreak, the latter sometimes classic, sometimes a lot of paddling in strong currents. The more I surf, the more I enjoy the junk. I reckon all of us who are still able to surf and got the stoke should consider themselves lucky.

15 years on a number of my Ocean Beach SF sessions have stuck in my mind. 2 occasions on when I couldn't get out - onshore mess, I kept seeing the channel (or the illusion of one), but every time I paddled towards it, it moved. The other failure was big clean offshore, but period too short - one other person joined me just to keep me company and got further than me, but failed too. 2 sessions when it was clean and peaky with straight offshore wind (rare conditions). However by far the 2 best ones was in Northerly wind bump and texture and the other in messy moderate onshore - about head height and I can actually remember two waves - one from each session - must be memorable if I can remember. Despite being a big city right next to the beach, few others bothered to surf on those 2 junk days.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Trestles is rippable, a swell magnet, and offers a lot of ridable waves of acceptable quality.

Personally, in my limited experience at the Lane, it seems most of the waves out there are of generally poor quality and rather burgery. There are multiple takeoff spots that can have you paddling around like a fool and plenty of people out there who have put the time in that know where to sit for the rippable ones - and there are rippable ones.

As a blow-in I do not behave in an aggressive manner so this makes it even less fun because I know that while there may be good waves within reach I'm probably not getting one if I'm behaving myself.

For some reason i dont like trestles. Lowers is usually a nice drop in, then the wave slows down and mushes out. I think im just used to the beach breaks, but i can never time my turns right there. Rincon is a much more fun wave. I surf the lane a few times when it was about 4-6ft high tide slopey, taking off right next to the cliff. Lots of power and wave just popped up. I loved it.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Does anyone know any good wetsuit repair guys/gals? I used to see someone in a van around trestles all the time and putting cards on peoples cars, but i cant find their info.

Any recommendations?

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Does anyone know any good wetsuit repair guys/gals? I used to see someone in a van around trestles all the time and putting cards on peoples cars, but i cant find their info.

Any recommendations?
I've had good experience with Coral Reef in Westminster. http://www.coralreefwetsuits.com/
Fixed the back zip on my Matuse that were notorious for blowing out and never had a problem since.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I heard frog house does repairs too. Anyone have any experience with them? Swell stuff is probably closer, but i dont mind driving if the repair is done well.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
^ call, she isn't there everyday. Doesn't do internal tape, mostly sew up rips, alteration etc
swell stuff seems dialed for major repairs

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I heard frog house does repairs too. Anyone have any experience with them? Swell stuff is probably closer, but i dont mind driving if the repair is done well.
Yeah, I've had repairs done at Frog House a few years ago. The repairs were good, and lasted the remaining life of the wetsuit (about another 18 months or so). I'll bring my wetsuits back there when I need to.

Reactions: ReForest

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

trestles is now the destination of the tech bros and wavestormers who learned to surf over the past summer and now want to conquer the upper or the lower so they can post on insta that they conquered the trestle. peak summer crowded on a standard 2-3 ft crap day these days.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've busted my cheek open at lowers, broke a fin box and broke a nose... all within 2 months. That place is a zoo and the wave is usually mushy. Nevertheless its the only place that breaks on certain days.