Mental Health thread

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Stop taking the weight of the world on your shoulders.
Stay off Twitter/politics
Keep exercising.
Do something that helps others.
Meditation (but you actually have to do it, not just talk about doing it because it's the thing du jour). Easy to make time for it if you take one of those time-wasting or negativity filled things out of you life.

Don't. Now would not be the time to be playing with that unsupervised, you don't know what the outcome will be.

And stop smoking weed.
Ice baths.

Such a great state breaker.

That is what it's all about.

Meditation actually disregulates me. So does breathe exersize.

Sex works good for me.

Playing music is meditative I think.

Social engagement too is good.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
^current mood^

I'm seriously planning to check out, buy a sailboat in the Med and bug out. At 57, the time is running out to do these sort of things.

I made sure to tell this to as many people as possible so I can't chicken out.

If I'm still here next year, you can all make fun of me. :(
that sounds like a fantastic adventure :jamon:

You have 56 days until the heckling starts :monkey:

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Microdosing unsupervised? The whole point of microdosing is you dont feel it. Id say go for it, nothin g to lose - lots to gain.
The point of microdosing is you do feel it, not just in a visual/auditory way and not as strong as a trip.

I would say that it's not a wise idea for a guy experiencing poor mental health to start tinkering with a black market product with hallucinogenic properties that binds to serotonin receptors...

Maybe seek other routes to better mental health rather than those derived from recreational drugs.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
I would say that it's not a wise idea for a guy experiencing poor mental health to start tinkering with a black market product with hallucinogenic properties that binds to serotonin receptors...

Maybe seek other routes to better mental health rather than those derived from recreational drugs.
seems to me like he already does alot of positive stuff that should benefit his mental health. diet, exercise etc. so this could be another viable option in addition to what hes already doing and are surely safer than the benzos he has script for.

A microdose of mushrooms is not hallucinogenic at all. You have to eat well over a gram of mushrooms to even feel them in the slightest. a microdoes is supposed to be like 10 percent of a gram if that, one might even say and may not be wrong thats its all placebo because the dose is so insignificant.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Microdosing doesn't make sense to me. Have you ever tried a hallucinogen the day after you just did the same one?
1/8 of shrooms Friday needs 1/4 Saturday, and you still don't get to the same place. You can't even really do them three days in a row. Nothing happens.
Unless the micro dose effects work differently, you'd be macro dosing in short order.
Same goes for LSD in my experience.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Microdosing doesn't make sense to me. Have you ever tried a hallucinogen the day after you just did the same one?
1/8 of shrooms Friday needs 1/4 Saturday, and you still don't get to the same place. You can't even really do them three days in a row. Nothing happens.
Unless the micro dose effects work differently, you'd be macro dosing in short order.
i agree with this, and microdosing didnt work for me per say but I have many people in my life that appear to be benefitting from it.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
This time was supposed to be all gravy in my life. Instead everything is on hold. I have a hard time leaving town for a weekend with my father in home hospice care. COVID has everything on hold. I feel like everything has stopped except my age as I watch it tick down towards the inevitable.

But then, I'm not worrying about where I am going to be living next month or putting food on the table. I'm very fortunate. Privileged even. I know all that but still I feel like the time is running out and I'm stuck in a holding pattern. Oh well. It is what it is. I could be living in a cardboard box in Yemen or something. So I'll shut the fvck up now, gird up my athletic supporter and go out to the garage and lift things and hit things. Again. Wah. Wah.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
IMO microdosing cheapens what should be a sacred substance that is used for self reflection and improving your connectivity and appreciation with the world around you. Not something you take just to make your workday and basic existence more palatable. At that point it seems like more of a crutch.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
seems to me like he already does alot of positive stuff that should benefit his mental health. diet, exercise etc. so this could be another viable option in addition to what hes already doing and are surely safer than the benzos he has script for.
You can do plenty of positive stuff - there is more stuff he could probably be doing.

You can also do plenty of negative stuff at the same time that works against that positive stuff.

He is not in a last resort situation.

I think it is a foolish assertion to state black market street hallucinogens are safer than "the benzos he has a script for" (he does?).

This reminds me of the Baby Boomers who insist their naturopathic medicines must be safe cuz they're natural.

A microdose of mushrooms is not hallucinogenic at all. You have to eat well over a gram of mushrooms to even feel them in the slightest. a microdoes is supposed to be like 10 percent of a gram if that, one might even say and may not be wrong thats its all placebo because the dose is so insignificant.
I'm not talking about hallucinogenic effects.

I'm talking about self-medicating by playing with drugs that bind to neurotransmitters in general while in a bad mental state. Even at small doses.

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Putting my 2 cents in, I don't think drugs or alcohol are a good coping mechanism at all for depression, no matter what dose. Neither is gym exercise. And definitely stay away from social media.

Checking out for a while with a long surf with no one else out or, if that isn't achievable, a long (8+ hour) hike will do a lot to cleanse your mind. Being out in the natural elements with no peripheral influences or outside pressures (including the internet) is incredibly refreshing. Just chilling solo on a mountaintop with no one else around, hearing nothing but pure natural surroundings, taking everything in for as long as you feel necessary... although YMMV, man, I can't think of better therapy for the soul than this:

1604685545786.png

1604685956698.png

And when you're done, you will sleep WELL. And solid, natural, worry-free sleep is also necessary if not mandatory for quality mental health.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You can do plenty of positive stuff - there is more stuff he could probably be doing.

You can also do plenty of negative stuff at the same time that works against that positive stuff.

He is not in a last resort situation.

I think it is a foolish assertion to state black market street hallucinogens are safer than "the benzos he has a script for" (he does?).

This reminds me of the Baby Boomers who insist their naturopathic medicines must be safe cuz they're natural.

I'm not talking about hallucinogenic effects.

I'm talking about self-medicating by playing with drugs that bind to neurotransmitters in general while in a bad mental state. Even at small doses.
I've stopped my months-long (maybe a year) trial run with microdosing psilocybin. Frankly, i just don't know if it worked or not, and it's an expensive (not to mention illegal) regimen to maintain anyway. 2020 probably isn't a great "control" year to really identify sources of, and treatments for, anxiety, given how batchit nuts this whole year is anyway. But my overall takeaway was "meh, probably hippie hype." But i do agree that limiting THC use, or at least not just getting baked all day long, will perhaps ease some anxiety. I feel like getting baked just reflects or amplifies whatever it is that you're currently feeling anyway. So, if you're all wound up, stressed out, and depressed, then you do some high-% bong rips, you're just going to get more stressed out as you sit there all muddled in the brain. But sometimes, in a good mood, it can still be fun. that's also purely my own anecdotal, entirely unprofessional and non-medical experience. Because man late March and April were depressing AF, i was smoking/vaping a lot of THC, and it didn't' help. Now i'm down to just a little puff before bed, while IN bed, because i've learned now in the last several months that once ensconced in my cocoon upstairs, the worries and weights of the world fall away, and i enjoy feeling good and high, then I fall into a nice deep 7-8 hours of sleep. Only rarely now do i ingest any THC during the day anymore

Wow i have shared a LOT of personal sh!t on here in the last 48 hours and it's been cathartic. Maybe i can tell my new doc that i actually AM seeing a therapist? does erBB take UHC?

Reactions: grapedrink