Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
Are these really worth two 5/4 O’Neill hyperfreaks? More or less. Just curious cause I’m interested in trying one.

But it’s bit difficult when I know I can get two suits I like / that work for the price of one.

I would say no, but maybe Isurus have gotten better in the last 3 or 4 yrs? I was in the same boat, buy one really nice one, or two mid range, I only bought Isurus once. I will say it was a really flexible suit, but far from the warmest, and after a season it constantly flushed. I do have a 5/4 hyperfreak, and it is nice for chilly dawn patrols, I bet the Buell 5/4 would be sweet too.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
There is no suit for cold water that is worth two other suits also made for cold water. All the lining, seams, glue or whatever won't matter as it starts getting thinned out in the elbows and small holes appear all over it.

They last two seasons and then just buy a new one.

Jul 4, 2006
New England
I pulled the trigger on the Feral 6/5/4. Almost went with the Vissla North Seas at $275 (surfline 20% discount), but then they ran out of my size and curiosity got the best of me. My most recent Xcel suit is failing because of places where the smoothy panels are glued with no stitching; the panels are just separating. Still mostly pinsized holes at max stretch, but its on its way out, even with some cement to plug it up so I can at least keep using it as a backup suit.

Funny about polar bears in the water. Was roughly 52 degrees last weekend and there was a guy out in a shorty. Bigger guy for sure, but air temps were 25-35 degrees. Complete psycho.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Little holes are the death of cold water wetsuits if you want to be out there when your body otherwise doesn’t want to get out of bed.

this is especially true for warm water folks who know they can wait out winter for warmer days.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
One no, one yes for the Buell. Anyone else have one? They’re out of stock until mid month. In no rush with a newish all 4mm hooded until the deepest depths of winter.
It’s either Buell or Vissla at this point unless u get a discount or hook up from a friend.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Any reviews on these Hyperflex 5 and/or 7 mill boots? Pretty much same exact design as Xcel Drylocks, but about 12 bones cheaper. I know I've sung the praises of the Hotlines here, but I typically have a couple pairs on hand for different spots and while the durability and warmth is top notch, board feel is not great and they can get locked in pretty easily.

• Love
Reactions: emmohl80 and r32

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
You figure it out. A little super sticky wax on the gloves helps. Better warm hands. Love my Xcel 7mm mittens. Biggest improvement in my cold water gear in years when I ditched gloves and lobster claws for mittens. Avoids the excrutiating pain of standing in the shower as the feeling slowly and comes back into your hands.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I pulled the trigger on the Feral 6/5/4. Almost went with the Vissla North Seas at $275 (surfline 20% discount), but then they ran out of my size and curiosity got the best of me. My most recent Xcel suit is failing because of places where the smoothy panels are glued with no stitching; the panels are just separating. Still mostly pinsized holes at max stretch, but its on its way out, even with some cement to plug it up so I can at least keep using it as a backup suit.

Funny about polar bears in the water. Was roughly 52 degrees last weekend and there was a guy out in a shorty. Bigger guy for sure, but air temps were 25-35 degrees. Complete psycho.
Any feedback on the Feral 6/5/4? Ordered one but it's stuck in USPS system and hasn't moved in weeks. Really enjoyed my cold/leaky xcel today.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Any feedback on the Feral 6/5/4? Ordered one but it's stuck in USPS system and hasn't moved in weeks. Really enjoyed my cold/leaky xcel today.
I can only speak to the 3.5/3mm hooded in OBSF (~55F water). One of the better wetsuits I've owned. Really flexible and decent heat retention. Might not be good for spots where you're sitting and waiting for long periods, but I'm usually paddling the whole time so I don't really stop generating heat

Reactions: daave

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Thanks Yewstreet! Hoping it's warm enough (I usually wear 5/4s). Some of the lined suits get super heavy, so this is a bit of an experiment to try thicker, plain neoprene in cold water.

Waves yesterday (water not too cold but air pretty cold/windy):

46F35FB7-4E1A-4166-AC1E-11298A9B77D3.PNG

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Thanks Yewstreet! Hoping it's warm enough (I usually wear 5/4s). Some of the lined suits get super heavy, so this is a bit of an experiment to try thicker, plain neoprene in cold water.

Waves yesterday (water not too cold but air pretty cold/windy):
Photo looks insane! Yeah the Feral is the lightest wetsuit Ive ever owned (Only close to an Isurus I had back in 2014). Dries really fast too - overnight. I do get cold sometimes but I think thats more so because I bought the suit when i weighed 15lbs heavier

Nov 25, 2020
Do feral or iisurus make custom suits? If not who does and what kind of Pricing?