Rounded pin tail twins

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Maybe we need a "you can never have too many eggs thread"- single fin eggs, twin pin eggs, twin fin channel bottom eggs, two plus one eggs, bonzer 5 eggs, bonzer three eggs, long eggs, short eggs.....

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Our local "popout" (boards are made by PSI industries in Indonesia) retailer sells a good looking rounded twin pin that I might have a punt at sometime soon.

Conversion calculator says they cost about $380 in your freedom tokens including a leash and tailpad... hard to beat value.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What did you get Bob?
Ward is truly an authentic custom shaper. No models just makes what you want based upon what he has already tested and ripped on.
Kind of a mini glider. Way bigger and less performance oriented than the twin fin in the photo.
Something that I can paddle around on in flat water and surf on when I'm back in surfing condition but will also handle just about anything else I'm willing to paddle out in. Basically an all around trim machine.

Trying to make the most of small days to get back in the water and have something that's not a log to stand up and go straight on, even if it's a bit bigger. I'm not really concerned with trying to perform on it. I have shortboards for that.

It ended up being a single fin. I considered a 2+1 but left the decision up to him as to what he thought would accomplish my goals. Simplicity and function were the guiding principles. Hence the lack of fins and channels.

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
do you not see the "Blacked out info" in the post? If you can then you know that you can on the OP on IG not Blacked out. Just funny

Ah, Yes. If you bothered to go to IG, you can see the post in its entirety. The information highlighted would be customized to your data, rather than mine.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Solid choice for a comeback board and then you could optionally use it as a crowd killer later

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I gave JDJ's mcneill rdpin twin a go. Was hoping that it would hold in and you could really push it hard, but alas, no. slid out... like a twin fin.

I would argue that a twin is slidey, but then a roundpin is for hold, so by combining them, you kinda end up with middle ground, but nothing groundbreaking.

If you want it to really hold and still keep the twin fin speed, you have to add canards.

And as for the curved channel, reduces pressure, which sucks the tail down, adding more hold (according to the man, himself).
Edit: but make sure they curve the right way, haha.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I gave JDJ's mcneill rdpin twin a go. Was hoping that it would hold in and you could really push it hard, but alas, no. slid out... like a twin fin.

I would argue that a twin is slidey, but then a roundpin is for hold, so by combining them, you kinda end up with middle ground, but nothing groundbreaking.

If you want it to really hold and still keep the twin fin speed, you have to add canards.

And as for the curved channel, reduces pressure, which sucks the tail down, adding more hold (according to the man, himself).
Edit: but make sure they curve the right way, haha.
A64911DF-92AC-4B94-A060-6249EEA9DD4F.jpeg
How about a fluted wing for extra hold

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I always understood wings to move the pivot point forward. If you flute them, are they acting like fins or are they still acting like wings?

Reactions: 000

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
There are pics floating around somewhere of Steve Lis, Mike Daniels with small fins glassed onto their rails. I've considered trying this, but I'm wondering how much the fins will act as fins vs. adding more planing area and causing the tail to plane higher in the water.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
There are pics floating around somewhere of Steve Lis, Mike Daniels with small fins glassed onto their rails. I've considered trying this, but I'm wondering how much the fins will act as fins vs. adding more planing area and causing the tail to plane higher in the water.
There is an article I think in the Surfers Journal discussing the little finlets on the rail.
1604002423264.png