3.4 million homeowners skip mortgage payments.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Congratulations Kento, I'm just seeing this now.
Thanks! Really stocked. Wife and I had been stressing hard the last week trying to get a place lined up and moving logistics set and that is all done. I even ordered a 4/3. :oops::roflmao: Now just a matter of boxing stuff up and throwing away the rest.

Oh, and my board from Terry should be finished in next few weeks or so too; just before the major move. :jamon:

Thanks Ogro; appreciate it. The weekday morning dawn patrols will come to an end unfortunately. Furloughs still in effect at new job but that's just an extra couple weekdays off a month. Stars may not align every time for surf/time off but will make it work. There will be no semi-official quitting of surfing.

Hopefully all these great happenings aren't karmically offset by me getting eaten by a shark during first session up there. :shark::roflmao:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Quality Assurance/Project Engineering Management in nukes and R&C.

No. I wanted to retire at 40 to surf so I saved money until I had enough to bail. Not much cushion but we made it. So far...
My main motivator in saving was seeing what happens to older engineers. Rather than retire, I feel like I should explore alternatives to corporate wage slavery and having to be a walking resume. Corporate managerial capitalism looks like driving an Amazon van for low pay or competing with everyone else in the world for the same limited number of corporate jobs. The true number of employees the managerial class wants to have is 0. The true amount they want to pay is 0.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
How long ago? I last switched jobs in late 2013 and it was easy cheezy. Seems that the job market for those with marketable skills (which it seems like you do) has been white hot and only gotten better, up until covid of course.

Unless you were out of their league i.e. your "only bang 10s" comment. I guess there comes a point where you can be overqualified/too expensive for a lot of positions, at which point your best bet is word of mouth/networking and headhunters.
I was looking at only 4 or 5 companies that had global footprint to set up
for my ultimate plan which is to live abroad once the kids detach.

compounding that was the fact that I was also trying to go from front of the
house to back of the house...I hadn't had a deep-tech gig for nearly 15 years

I had always been recruited over while already employed, so coming off a
divorce, turning 40, having the company basically go belly up on short notice,
and taking a while to get even a toe in the door with the target employers all
wound up being internalized as "you're old and useless and no one wants you
anymore"

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My main motivator in saving was seeing what happens to older engineers. Rather than retire, I feel like I should explore alternatives to corporate wage slavery and having to be a walking resume. Corporate managerial capitalism looks like driving an Amazon van for low pay or competing with everyone else in the world for the same limited number of corporate jobs. The true number of employees the managerial class wants to have is 0. The true amount they want to pay is 0.
Don’t over analyze it.

If you can afford to retire go somewhere with waves and surf.

Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

anymore"
Tombee still wants you. I have some disturbing news for you, kids detach when you’re dead.

Imagine if you’d gone five more years, especially in your line of work.

• Love
Reactions: Random Guy

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Santa Rosa.

To keep this geology-related, first time living off the Pacific Plate. :oops:
Welcome to the edge of the North American Plate!

Hopefully all these great happenings aren't karmically offset by me getting eaten by a shark during first session up there. :shark::roflmao:
Maybe 30 minutes from SR and only a little sharky.

1602871556614.png

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

anymore"
Yeah sounds like you kind of painted yourself into a corner with your special needs. Looks like it worked out though.

Did you have a beer belly and bitch t!ts at the time? 40 is manageable, you just gotta stay on top of your squats and deadlifts to keep your T levels up and not look like a disgusting slob.

-Late 30 something full of **** and vinegar, out!

LOL Edit: p!ss is autoedited :roflmao:

Reactions: Billy Ocean

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Thanks! Really stocked. Wife and I had been stressing hard the last week trying to get a place lined up and moving logistics set and that is all done. I even ordered a 4/3. :oops::roflmao: Now just a matter of boxing stuff up and throwing away the rest.

Oh, and my board from Terry should be finished in next few weeks or so too; just before the major move. :jamon:

Thanks Ogro; appreciate it. The weekday morning dawn patrols will come to an end unfortunately. Furloughs still in effect at new job but that's just an extra couple weekdays off a month. Stars may not align every time for surf/time off but will make it work. There will be no semi-official quitting of surfing.

You're going to need a hood and booties. That Terry board will go good for you

Also, I don't suggest surfing Jenner if there are a bunch of seals around

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You're going to need a hood and booties. That Terry board will go good for you

Also, I don't suggest surfing Jenner if there are a bunch of seals around
Have an old pair of booties. Used them up in r32's area earlier this year; still functional but barely. Will have to upgrade for sure. Hadn't used them in several years since you don't really need them in LA/OC/SD.

Terry biased the board thin, pretty much clone of the previous board he shaped for me. I know, souther board label and all that but hey, at least it's not a Wavestorm.

Yeah, that particular rivermouth seems sketchy even without seals. :shark:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
What a story that would make her if you were eaten after you moved!
Title of the book: How I moved to Santa Rosa and Died

Theme: Futility of life (pessimistic) Glory of life (optimistic) Life happens then you die (realistic)

Plot: Middle age man seeking better life reflects on past youthful dalliances, trials and tribulations while coming to grips with ever changing reality, takes bold new steps building on successes while trying to leave failures by the wayside, surfs with a stranger at a new spot, loses both legs in shark attack, as he dies tells stranger his life story, stranger writes book and makes millions and claims dead middle age man was "like a brother....I've even become close with his widow".

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Title of the book: How I moved to Santa Rosa and Died

Theme: Futility of life (pessimistic) Glory of life (optimistic) Life happens then you die (realistic)

Plot: Middle age man seeking better life reflects on past youthful dalliances, trials and tribulations while coming to grips with ever changing reality, takes bold new steps building on successes while trying to leave failures by the wayside, surfs with a stranger at a new spot, loses both legs in shark attack, as he dies tells stranger his life story, stranger writes book and makes millions and claims dead middle age man was "like a brother....I've even become close with his widow".
Doof already lobbying for the ghost-writing contract. :roflmao:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Kento, was your 4/3 a Buell and do you have a half-dozen Nor*Cal and SC stickers to put over Terry's lams, or are you going to be the most eyeballed surfer on the Sonoma coast?

stranger writes book and makes millions and claims dead middle age man was "like a brother....I've even become close with his widow".
You said you're "a bit" of a scamp?!?!?!?!?

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Kento, was your 4/3 a Buell and do you have a half-dozen Nor*Cal and SC stickers to put over Terry's lams, or are you going to be the most eyeballed surfer on the Sonoma coast?
The 4/3 I just ordered was a Quiksilver Synchro that cost $170 post-tax. I hate chest-zip wetsuits and it is absolute hell trying to find an XLT sized suit of any kind whatsoever; had to settle for one that is black/dark blue. So, yes, there will likely be eyeballing above and below the water surface.

I will pass on plastering Nor*Cal stickers to try to be insta-loc; that only makes you look like a stupid try-hard. Refer to Hawaii-done thread about getting island tattoos JOJ. :roflmao:

At least my 6'7" and 8'2" are lost and Proctor, respectively. Slightly better? :monkey:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
At least my 6'7" and 8'2" are lost and Proctor, respectively. Slightly better? :monkey:
I'm going to guess negative. Senate, I can see people not knowing where that's from. Proctor, you might not be a Souther in the 805, but y'ain't in the 805 nomore isya boy?

Lost is just asking for it. Although I did see a guy on a lost lib tech getting lots of waves on a sunny Sunday when I thought I should only surf that particular peak with far fewer people. I will say once in the water things mellowed considerably; probably couldn't see the logo and there was only one spot where I was really around other people and they were actually quite nice to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento