Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
It sucks but it's better to surf than to not surf.

Also it's slightly less crowded, usually. But lately, even that benefit seems to have disappeared. Wet suits are too damn good.

You sorta get used to it, but given an alternative, I wouldn't do it. Sometimes with a light snow falling or some really nice winter light it's beautiful but often it's bombing and there are raging offshore winds and you just want to snag a few good ones and then take a long hot shower and sit on the couch.

coldest I ever did in my mutant 5/4 was low 50s water, low 40s air, and relatively mellow offshore wind, just enough to get a chilling spray in the face paddling into waves.

worked great assuming you ignore the desensitizing factors of that much neoprene, not being used to wearing a hood, and hands that couldnt tell I was holding the board on duck dives.

I did it because I wanted to say I’ve done it. How some of you do it on the regular is beyond me.

It’s not the same sport anymore.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
i don't have issues spending on a premium suit. I had a couple Isurus, a 5/4 and 4/3 like 8-10 years ago and they were really nice as far as stretch and durability but they just weren't warm enough. they didn't have a liner back then and maybe no smooth skin? either way, they weren't as warm as other suits so I only wore them when it was mid to upper 50's which is rare here. guessing they are warmer now. I know lots of people like them although I never see them worn up here.
Same experience with Isurus.

It was a really nice in every way except for the warmth. Always wished that suit had an extra 1mm, or a liner and smoothskin.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Don't know how long ago that was and I never had one before they added a new Type of Yamamoto rubber last year but my Isurus 3 mil is warmer than my 4/3 Rip Curl Flashbomb. The interesting thing is I have had them booth for a similar amount of time and choose the Isurus usually, saving the RC for when Isurus is wet and on dawn patrol, while rinsing rinsing the RC arms are really saggy and lifeless while the Isurus has scarcely changed. The only thing I could imagine failing would be in the seams eventually. If you want warm go 4/3 hooded, coldest OBSF with offshores and I am pretty much sweating inside, that suit is on the stiff side tho

Reactions: Aruka

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I used my 4/3 Isurus at OBSF through the winter and never felt like I needed a warmer suit. Grant it, it was only one winter because I moved back east the next summer after buying it.

I'm on season 2 with my 2.2 zipfree and it's still very warm and stretchy. However it has gotten a little over-streched around the neck closure and is flushing a lot more than it did at first which was basically never. Still a great suit but not 100% sure I'd go zipfree over zippered again.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Been on the Techno Butter rubber for quite some time now. Never bothered with high end suits in 3 decades of cold water surfing, actually started winter surfing in dive suits and crazy how good suits are now, which has its disadvantages cause its pretty crowded up here these days. After years of 5.5 Psycotechs, switched to the 5.5 Hyperfreak. At 15% off it was quite a good deal. Easily the most comfortable and flexible suit I have ever owned.

As far as warmth it's been quite sufficient in temps averaging 53 +or- and sessions ranging from 2 to 3 hours. This is not the NE here, but sometimes feels as cold, and its cold all the fing time often the coldest water temps come in summer :confused: I can only remember getting a little chill one time. Last Thanksgiving. Air temps were in the low 30s and cold offshore wind was blowing. Seems like the majority of peps have switched to the smoothyless comp suits in this neck of the woods.

Durability seems good on these suits. I still have a Psycho tech that has almost 3 years and probably over 200 sessions on it. Waters been warmer around here this October and its been my primary suit lately. Seems are actually still pretty good, its the knees that have worn out and leak. My newer Hyperfreak has been to warm. That said, may pick up another Psycotech if we are in fact in for La Nina. I'd bode that has got to be one of the warmest high performance suits out there right now.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Been on the Techno Butter rubber for quite some time now. Never bothered with high end suits in 3 decades of cold water surfing, actually started winter surfing in dive suits and crazy how good suits are now, which has its disadvantages cause its pretty crowded up here these days. After years of 5.5 Psycotechs, switched to the 5.5 Hyperfreak. At 15% off it was quite a good deal. Easily the most comfortable and flexible suit I have ever owned.

As far as warmth it's been quite sufficient in temps averaging 53 +or- and sessions ranging from 2 to 3 hours. This is not the NE here, but sometimes feels as cold, and its cold all the fing time often the coldest water temps come in summer :confused: I can only remember getting a little chill one time. Last Thanksgiving. Air temps were in the low 30s and cold offshore wind was blowing. Seems like the majority of peps have switched to the smoothyless comp suits in this neck of the woods.

Durability seems good on these suits. I still have a Psycho tech that has almost 3 years and probably over 200 sessions on it. Waters been warmer around here this October and its been my primary suit lately. Seems are actually still pretty good, its the knees that have worn out and leak. My newer Hyperfreak has been to warm. That said, may pick up another Psycotech if we are in fact in for La Nina. I'd bode that has got to be one of the warmest high performance suits out there right now.
How does the Hyperfreak compare to the Psychotech in terms of warmth? I love my Psychotech and am considering a cheaper HF as a backup/second wettie.

Reactions: live4swell

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Did not see nearly as many wetsuit deals around this year. While I was complaining a bit about the drylocks seams, it was pretty cheap last summer ($270 shipped) and they just sent me a warranty replacement suit. So the price + service + fit makes it hard to try something new for winter gear. Still like their booties the best too.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
How does the Hyperfreak compare to the Psychotech in terms of warmth?
Damn close. Only time I noticed a difference really was during our coldest air temps, which were around 0C/32F combined with a brisk offshore wind howling out of the mountains. Air rarely gets that cold around here on the coast. Water was at our average of 12C/53F. If your water temps average in the low to mid 50's (F) and air mid to low 40's (F), I think you'll be stoked on the Hyperfreak. I probably have about 40 sessions on mine and seams are still water tight with no leakage.

Reactions: live4swell and Maz

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Most definitely, just like everything else it becomes a question of which 7mm boots. It's kind of funny that there's so much fancy tech out there, yet the hotlines are basic as could be with nothing special regarding the neoprene, no liner, and a good rubber coating, but they just work.
2nd the Hotline 7 mills (and 5 mills too) What I like about the Hotlines are they make a 7mill split toe being a split toe guy. I feel like there's no need for high end rubber when it comes to boots. Really more about board feel than flexibility and firmness is good. Also seems like the booties with high end rubber don't last. Buddy had Techno Butter booties and hated em. They were floppy and folded under his toes getting to his feet. He's now back on the Hotlines like most of the OGs around here. They also stand up to barnacle encrusted rocks quite well.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i actually thing the Hyperfreak might be a little more durable than the Psychotech which has the exterior seam goo that always cracks and starts leaking at less than a year for me.

my biggest knock on the Hyperfreak is the lack of wrist and ankle cuffs to prevent water ingress. still, for the price it's a solid suit.

Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
I've surfed my Psychotech for 6 months now - close to 200 sessions - and all seams and seals are in perfect shape. Maybe ALWAYS drying in in the shade is the crucial factor in keeping the seals strip goo thingy from cracking.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I had an titanium isurus 5/4 about 2 years back when I was living in the NE. Was quite warm, but arms and legs felt short for a MT and would ride up a bit (I'm 6'0 160 and MT generally fits me). Fit was way too tight in shoulders as well, and I'm not particularly broad-shouldered. Bought it on sale with a no return policy. Try before you buy I guess.

Warmest for me have been the xcel drylocks, best performance has been an O'Neill psycho 5/4 that I got in about 2014. I keep that wetsuit for when the waves are really good.

Reactions: chilly1

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Did not see nearly as many wetsuit deals around this year. While I was complaining a bit about the drylocks seams, it was pretty cheap last summer ($270 shipped) and they just sent me a warranty replacement suit. So the price + service + fit makes it hard to try something new for winter gear. Still like their booties the best too.
shoulda seized them COVID deals when they were happening, now you gotta wait until Black Monday

Reactions: johnson7

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Top suits either XCEL or O’Neill and buy top end.

As far as other brands i have tried: patagonia, isurus, billabong, ripcul. Ripcurl is next closest. it’s been a few winters since i switched from XCEL to O’Neill and basically the XCEL are warmer but stiffer. I don’t think you can go wrong with either at this point. Small differences.

As far as boots /gloves. I was suprised how well the Patagonia “socks” kept me warm (r4) and when it gets that cold mittens of any kind are the only way to go. Loberster claws just leave one finger numb.

.... just waiting for cyber Monday deals.....

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
I had an titanium isurus 5/4 about 2 years back when I was living in the NE. Was quite warm, but arms and legs felt short for a MT and would ride up a bit (I'm 6'0 160 and MT generally fits me). Fit was way too tight in shoulders as well, and I'm not particularly broad-shouldered. Bought it on sale with a no return policy. Try before you buy I guess.

Warmest for me have been the xcel drylocks, best performance has been an O'Neill psycho 5/4 that I got in about 2014. I keep that wetsuit for when the waves are really good.
The zip free Isurrus is a LOT looser in the shoulders but Getting flushed in Nor Cal is my threshold. Getting flushed in the NE is a whole nother story!

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Top suits either XCEL or O’Neill and buy top end.

As far as other brands i have tried: patagonia, isurus, billabong, ripcul. Ripcurl is next closest. it’s been a few winters since i switched from XCEL to O’Neill and basically the XCEL are warmer but stiffer. I don’t think you can go wrong with either at this point. Small differences.

As far as boots /gloves. I was suprised how well the Patagonia “socks” kept me warm (r4) and when it gets that cold mittens of any kind are the only way to go. Loberster claws just leave one finger numb.

.... just waiting for cyber Monday deals.....
I feel the same way, prefer the O'Neill fit a bit longer in the arms and legs for an MT. Xcel definitely a bit warmer but not as flexible and comfy as the techno blubber. Depends what you mean by "top end", Drylock probably not worth it unless you're surfing very frigid conditions (wind/air/water), have got the Comp X and Infiniti ltd which are plenty warm for non east cost winter weather, also the outer seam welds tend to chip and crack over time making the suit leaky. Middle range seems like the best bang for your buck, no need for all the bells and whistles.
Patagucci - not a chance, overpriced hipster trash
Rip Curl - not a good fit in the shoulders, like a straight jacket

Reactions: Aruka

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
vissla north seas 5.5/4.5 hooded, smooth skin chest and back, fully lined interior. That along with 7mm vissla boot and 7mm vissla mittens i was very warm in NH and maine. My hands were so warm it was uncomfortable. better than being cold i guess

Reactions: oeste858