*** Official 2020 Community Surf Journal ***

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Joined the masses. 8’ Mini glider at the point for chunky knee to waist-high burgers at a beefy high tide. Glided. Dominated. Didn’t give those pínche ‘Stormers a single decent set wave. Met up with a buddy out there who’d been on the IR for a couple months so nice to catch up. Warm water, not much wind. TGIF.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Joined the masses. 8’ Mini glider at the point for chunky knee to waist-high burgers at a beefy high tide. Glided. Dominated. Didn’t give those pínche ‘Stormers a single decent set wave. Met up with a buddy out there who’d been on the IR for a couple months so nice to catch up. Warm water, not much wind. TGIF.
Wachu get?

Pics!

Reactions: need 4 speed

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Norcal beachbreak. Low expectations, but this spot had wind protection and was pulling in every bit of swell. Hollow over the inner sandbar. Spent two hours pulling in to tubes and hoping for the best, racked up a decent amount of vision. Only made it out of one , which I got into and stalled as much as I could (which wasn't that much, but enough) Heard a few hoots from the channel when I was exiting. Great Saturday, stocked

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
crap waves with tanner this am. he combo'd us on the mid length griff. must have been the fins designed for the boar :)

got a couple on the fuse but half the waves just held me back and I couldn't move. oh well, didn't surf yesterday so it was nice to get in the water.
SBD's quote of the morning - "I couldn't get in, even though I was in' :ROFLMAO:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
20201010_150546.jpg
easier to catch on camera than on surfboar but i managed to get a few yesterday. 6'2.5" CDG round pin.

surfed the kelpy reef this morning with increasing winds. got a bunch of fun ones on the Loot before it got too chopped up out there. dinged my center skeg on a rock but thankfully no box damage this time. been running r8 proto sides and various small center fins. AM1 center feels great. thanks for recco todd!

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
I was glad I had low expectations for yesterday morning’s sesh because it was pretty crappy on the dropping tide. Board switch on the rising tide helped a little, but still nothing memorable.

Went south to a crowded grom spot this morning. The sets were kinda fun. Rolling takeoffs, zigzag to avoid maiming groms, then a nice little wall allowing for a turn or two.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Braved Doho last two evenings with my daughter who got the surf bug this summer. It's mostly softboard party wave mayhem. I've been teaching her the benefit of finding your own peak, even at crowded beach, but the high tide made surfing with the horde unavoidable.

I can't believe how many people are actually trying to surf here, like it's some kind of test to get a half crappy wave despite the crowd.

Still got a couple wiggles off the sets no one seems to be ready for :nana:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Left the house at 10:30 yesterday. Walked down to Cracks, it was horrible, chest high, 1 second rides to oblivion. Decided to walk back up to PPP, so much better! Last week's swell beat down the v-shaped sand bar quite a bit, making it harder to find a non-closeout. Managed to get to full speed on a couple, one beginner told me one of my waves was "sick". I agreed that it was a nice one. Overall kinda meh, but still fun.

Session highlites:
Dad and 11 year old son. Kid gets a left, throws some good spray, looks back out as a kinda claim. Sitting next to dad, who wasn't watching, "Kid just threw some spray". He looked at me, "huh?". I followed up several times with, "make sure you say you saw it". Couple of minutes later, kid is outside waving hands around describing his shred. Dad never acknowledged me with a smile. Didn't feel too bad being deeper than dad on one of the few sets.

Second highlight, at the shower, I saw a board with a label I'd never seen. "Johnny Sea", and on the bottom it had a York laminate. For those who don't know (prolly 99% here). Johnny Seaside was a fixture/mainstay/dominator in the 70's early 80's at Machado Reef. York was a local heavy. One day a sailboat sank just North of the lot, York claimed the peak as his and it was named SS Yorktowns while it lasted. For those that do go there, Johnny is the guy with the red suburban parked at the entrance to the lot, say hi. Too bad the guy with the board clearly had no clue what he was holding or we would have had a nice convo.

Always new stuff at the beach...

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Scored a golden ticket to some uncrowded SoCal waves. Took the family to SC for a Sunday beach day to meet up with wife's college friends who have access to the base at Camp Pendleton. For those who've never surfed there, it's a trip. Drive right up to the beach at Church to the cobblestone right point and we had the beach to ourselves for 75 yds in either direction, with most families down the cove further south. Surfed Middles (bit bigger waves but more crowded) for 20 min and then Church with 2-4 others for 1.5 hours, got every wave I wanted. Peeling 3-4' easy rights with some racy sections; couple closeouts. Friendly vibes in the water. Warm water, sunny day: it was truly glorious. I really needed that after dealing with the WFH crowd explosion all summer, that we've all been frustrated by. Wasn't sure if there would be much surf, so decided to play it safe by bringing the 5'10 pu R. Smoothie- an easy, forgiving board that can do a bit of everything, but can still grovel. T1s + trailer was fun. Realized on a few FS slashes that I miss a tailpad with arch to push hard off of. Waves would've been perfect for a twin keel fish (what I rode last time I surfed here a year ago).
Kids had a blast playing in the sand, wife was stoked to catch up with her good friend, and I was feeling recharged and couldn't stop smiling all day. Pretty, pretty good.

Last edited: