*** Official Fin Thread ***

Jun 3, 2014
A few months ago I emailed Greg asking nicely if he could make me a single fin. He was super responsive at first, and I thought "Great!" He answered my emails almost immediately: "Sure where do you live?" "What kind of boards do you ride?" So I sent him some pics of the board I wanted it for. "That board is pretty retro. Want one with a modern down rail?" Uh oh, did he think I wanted a board? I just wanted a fin so I clarified that. No response. Followed up with an email a week later. Silence. Wondering if this is some sort of Chandler thing where you have to prove your worthiness to him. Anyone have anything to advise?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I'm back for more punishment from you all. :monkey:

What's philosophy on fins for a gun (8'2")? Thruster setup. I used to have a set of Rainbows for them but they were snapped off at base when leash broke one day at Todos. Couldn't tell you anything about them otherwise and I never thought much about the fins. Haven't had a reason to use that board in many years but looks like move up to NorCal is happening and I guess I might be needing that board up there when it gets meaty (mildly terrifying concept; will have to get the lungs in prime shape).
Where you moving?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
A few months ago I emailed Greg asking nicely if he could make me a single fin. He was super responsive at first, and I thought "Great!" He answered my emails almost immediately: "Sure where do you live?" "What kind of boards do you ride?" So I sent him some pics of the board I wanted it for. "That board is pretty retro. Want one with a modern down rail?" Uh oh, did he think I wanted a board? I just wanted a fin so I clarified that. No response. Followed up with an email a week later. Silence. Wondering if this is some sort of Chandler thing where you have to prove your worthiness to him. Anyone have anything to advise?

TBH I had a very similar thing happen - quick response, then I asked a very basic question about his process - then silence.

There is another poster on this forum with extensive knowledge and experience in their trade. He's similar to GG in many ways, just a different craft.

Interestingly, if you ask him a question regarding any advice he gives he will become instantly offended and cut communication.

My takeaway from seeing these two guys post over the years is they want to be approached as one would approach a guru.

They want their guru boner stroked.:whistle:

So my guess is GG thought your board sucks so when you clarified you just wanted a fin and didn't show interest in him making you another board it dampened the arousal of his guru boner and he didn't want to deal with you.

Last edited:
Reactions: MathDebater

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Been surfing the FCS2 H4’s in my thrusters since I’ve gotten them. Love them. Got a set of mediums for my step up boards. They are just a sliver smaller than the larges. Decent sized south on the way. I’ll see how they go if it gets doh.

Reactions: sdsrfr
Jun 3, 2014
TBH I had a very similar thing happen - quick response, then I asked a very basic question about his process - then silence.

There is another poster on this forum with extensive knowledge and experience in their trade. He's similar to GG in many ways, just a different craft.

Interestingly, if you ask him a question regarding any advice he gives he will become instantly offended and cut communication.

My takeaway from seeing these two guys post over the years is they want to be approached as one would approach a guru.

They want their guru boner stroked.:whistle:

So my guess is GG thought your board sucks so when you clarified you just wanted a fin and didn't show interest in him making you another board it dampened the arousal of his guru boner and he didn't want to deal with you.

I've got to say the whole experience made Chinese Cnc'd g10 look much more appealing. If you don't want to make me a fin Greg, just say it! Pretty lame to just go off the radar.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Anyone checked out these fins??

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Anyone checked out these fins??

speaking of gimmicky bullsh1t I just ordered a set of the new Machado Futures pivot fins.

will report back with how much I hate them as soon as possible.
I don't hate them. I honestly don't have strong feelings one way or another because every time I rode them it felt like the waves were just not good enough really feel fins out. So far my impression of them is that they feel small for a Large size fin. They don't feel as different from a "normal" fin as I thought they would. I rode them back to back with the Hayden L (HS1) thruster and honestly it wasn't a big difference in feel. I only rode them a couple times in the 5-10 Loot and once I went back to DHD L's the board felt much better to me. I will try them in something longer and report back but I think I'm just a little heavy footed and used to raked fins without inside foil. Oh and by the way the inside foil on these pivchado fins is different from others to my eye. I don't know how to describe it but it's like rather than curving in and then back out on the inside foil it curves in and then doesn't scoop back out as much. Almost like there is additional toe built in to the fin.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I rode them back to back with the Hayden L (HS1) thruster and honestly it wasn't a big difference in feel.
kinda off topic but I really like these (hs1) for tiger sheds. no problems with drive coming from mostly neutral templates (black/yellow mayhems are my shizz).

Reactions: Aruka and Havoc