Customs finally arrive....and they're sh!t. A venting thread

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
A few days ago I made mention of the fact that word is they are 500 behind on those things. One glasser told me he could do nothing but mid length resin tints until next year.
:roflmao:

it's becoming an arms race to catch a freaking wave lately. when up and riding i'm always the best guy out but the 100 other kooks on giant boars try to stop that from happening (btw i am intermediate at best on my best day). not about trying to surf well but to get some pics for instagram to show ppl u surf

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
i hope the water gets really cold and there is a wetsuit shortage lolz. same chit happened with gym equipment. all these idiots who now want to get in shape buying up everything. wfh ftw!
Be patient. The novelty will wear off and then they'll just have a bunch of stuff in their garage they don't use. Being good at anything takes grit. They are only going to take this so far.

Reactions: sdsrfr and xmesa

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Be patient. The novelty will wear off and then they'll just have a bunch of stuff in their garage they don't use. Being good at anything takes grit. They are only going to take this so far.
i sure hope so. it does look like the wfh thing is gonna be permanent at least in many of the tech jobs. so more tech idiots on wavestorms clogging lineups will be the new normal.

kinda a bummer since i give a lot to have a flexible job that is extremely freaking hard to get and keep. now every idiot has the same flexibility. thank you covid.

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
i sure hope so. it does look like the wfh thing is gonna be permanent at least in many of the tech jobs. so more tech idiots on wavestorms clogging lineups will be the new normal.

kinda a bummer since i give a lot to have a flexible job that is extremely freaking hard to get and keep. now every idiot has the same flexibility. thank you covid.
I'm one of these idiots that had the flexibility before covid and i also made a lot of sacrifices for the flexibility

then i got injured right as covid hit and i haven't been able to surf since - my work schedule has gone nuts... it sounds like i would be frustrated.

i had a fresh batch of customs that all showed up above expectations and they're sitting the garage.

to throw a little positivity out there, i've ordered customs from the following guys and had nothing but positive experiences - with the minor exception of one long wait.
no quality issues or departures from what i've asked for, i can't wait to order more boards from these guys:
- Mandala (i had a great experience with Manny)
- Justin @ JT / Dark arts in SD
- Wayne @ Oak Foils in LA
- Jeff @ NineLights in HB

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I hear the surf industry is slammed too but that hasn't been the experience I've had with all the customer orders I've placed this summer (9 to be exact). All of them have been delivered in a reasonable timeframe (6 - 12 weeks). All of them withing the timeframe I was told.

Each of the boards has come out to specification and looked good, still waiting on 3, two of which are done and need to be picked up. I'm not expecting any issues with these as one is a 3/3 order. The last is a MOTE, and it was hard to order, and I am expecting it to take months, but I knew that would be the case from the onset and I have no issues.

You really should out the shaper. Surfboards may not have a completely normal supply chain but it also isn't like shapers/glasses haven't had 60+ years to get it together. sh!t happens but when it does I firmly believe shapers should take care of it.

The only caveat is that if you ordered some weird-ass stuff then the risk kind of is on you.

Reactions: paunch23

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
He already said he wasn't going to name him and it is being resolved. Everyone else named him though on the last couple pages: X. That's also who I thought it might be. Glad for OP that the shaper will take responsibility.
Seems like this type of issue could've been avoided by sending his assistant to take a quick look at the finished boards before the glass shop shipped them out on their behalf. Would've saved everybody the time, energy, and shipping costs of sending and returning the blem boards. Maybe next time.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
In no particular order, my best custom boards have been from:

Scott Miller
Terry Chung
Malcolm Campbell
Danny Hess
Stretch

My worst custom boards have been from me.

Reactions: ciscojaws

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I am and I guess I am. Alt shapes are a nice band aid for my too narrow stance and not using my back foot enough.
BTW that Gunn twinzer was fun but a pain in the ass on all but the fattest of waves
Ahh, weird. Love mine. The guy who bought it from you (someone who buys most of my cast offs) wasnt crazy about it either. But mine is on the never sell list.

And may we ask what models you got from X?

Last edited:

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Whats the going rate in so cal, or anywhere for that matter, for a glass job, up to 7', sand finish,
e cloth, uv resin, pupe standard with futures or fcs boxes? Who's got some #'s in $$??

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Bear in mind that most of these people can't read waves, will never be able read waves, and aren't physically fit-enough for this sport. This is especially true of tech workers who are at the bottom rung physically. Surfing requires a fundamental change in who they are to the core. Almost all of them out there will be plankton you can paddle around. I just tried this surfing next to Soft Top Dad and his 7 groms.

You lift weights. Just alpha them to the next peak over.

• Haha
Reactions: kidfury and Havoc

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
They've been very responsive and it's been resolved quickly and fairly so while I could go without the extra hassle I'm still happy.

But fuuuck people love this kind of thread, it's like a good game of clue.
Start a, "Shapers that stand behind their boards' thread

Reactions: need 4 speed

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Great experience list: Pyzel, Maurice Cole, Griffin, Wade Tokoro, Bulkley, T Patterson, Dev.

Mishaps with Lost and Cole (Cole made it right though).