Customs finally arrive....and they're sh!t. A venting thread

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Roberts did the same to me. 1st board, glassing had multiple burn throughs to the weave. 2nd board, I asked if hed could look it over before I make the drive. Yea, he says its fine. It was worse than the first board. He did not care.

Reactions: redrider

doc_flavonoid

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 27, 2019
Roberts did the same to me. 1st board, glassing had multiple burn throughs to the weave. 2nd board, I asked if hed could look it over before I make the drive. Yea, he says its fine. It was worse than the first board. He did not care.
i had an otr roberts once. glassed at haakensons. looked good enough until i surfed it once.

never have i seen a glass job fail as fast and as completely as that board did. it was like it had stage 3 cancer and was gone in 6 weeks

• Wow
Reactions: potato-nator

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
i had an otr roberts once. glassed at haakensons. looked good enough until i surfed it once.

never have i seen a glass job fail as fast and as completely as that board did. it was like it had stage 3 cancer and was gone in 6 weeks
His "glasser" at the time was some kid in the backroom.

Oh yea I forgot. I ordered it with S cloth. He priced it as such. When it was done, he added another $20 because it was S cloth.

He was the shaper of the year at one point.

Didn't understand that either.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I wonder if anyone would shape you a board and let you glass it yourself. Glassing seems to be the bottleneck.

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I wonder if anyone would shape you a board and let you glass it yourself. Glassing seems to be the bottleneck.
Glassing is the hard part
But do it I'd like to hear how it goes.
I threaten from time to time
But am lucky to get mine glasses at a kick ass shop
$300. No leaks, doesn't fill the channels with resin, speed edge for $20
Thank you Alex

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Glassing is the hard part
But do it I'd like to hear how it goes.
I threaten from time to time
But am lucky to get mine glasses at a kick ass shop
$300. No leaks, doesn't fill the channels with resin, speed edge for $20
Thank you Alex
Glassing is easy once you figure it out. There are enough garage shapers here, that if you asked to watch a couple of times, you could get the basics down.

Shaping takes a lot more knowledge to not make a dog.

It's that bad glassing is super obvious from a mile away. A bad shape, to most surfers, has to be ridden to be exposed.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
My garage shaper buddy said that even the lead time of direct to glasser type work is backlogged. So, YMMV. I don’t know you’d get better QC that way. Just have to face what the brand is otherwise dealing with directly.

good luck.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Well known SD shaper. A 5 to 6 week estimate turned into to 3 months to finish...that's fine, whatever. Well known shaper Boards finally arrived yesterday and they are fucking rough. These things aren't even fit to be stock boards. One has sand throughs/can feel the weave of the glass all over the place, hard edges are a bit wonky. What's supposed to be a slight beaked nose just looks fucked up. Other board has a cleaner glass job but a nice big hump running down the stringer on the deck. It's like no one actually looked at the boards before shipping. I don't even want to put pads and wax on the things. Easily the roughest boards I've ever held.

What the fook....I'm sticking with off the rack and other peoples cast offs from now on.
If it's who I think it is there's so many different models they probably can't remember what each one is supposed to look like.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My garage shaper buddy said that even the lead time of direct to glasser type work is backlogged. So, YMMV. I don’t know you’d get better QC that way. Just have to face what the brand is otherwise dealing with directly.

good luck.
Honestly wouldn't want to have any board on order right now.

The OP's shaper is a guy who is very focused on getting it right. Lots of attention to the customer and you deal directly with him. Would not like a glasser tarnishing work that he takes pride. This shipping process is probably typical for him and the situation is a SNAFU due to glasshops being in over their heads.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Believe me, he knows.

And for every one of those models he has variant models.

Like I said, he's very details oriented, get it right guy.
They're taking care of me and we're going to get it right one way or another.
I will say that the order process was super thorough and he talked me out of the one mistake I always make, adding a hint of volume that I don't need.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Surfadelphia: If you're who i think you are, you're into alt shapes. I have nothing else to do but try and solve this riddle
I am and I guess I am. Alt shapes are a nice band aid for my too narrow stance and not using my back foot enough.
BTW that Gunn twinzer was fun but a pain in the ass on all but the fattest of waves