*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The Captain Fin Dane M set is probably one of the ugliest fins ever but they are pretty fun. Maybe a little much for someone around 145 but definitely a good fit for a 165 lb. person.

Brsnstein

OTF status
Jul 28, 2018
SoCal
The Captain Fin Dane M set is probably one of the ugliest fins ever but they are pretty fun. Maybe a little much for someone around 145 but definitely a good fit for a 165 lb. person.
I hover between 155-160. They’re hideous, but one of my favorites and I’d buy another set if they change the graphics to something less obnoxious. I’d also love a solid fiberglass or g10 version

Reactions: Aruka

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
The R6 is very, very rakey if memory serves. The rakiest fin in the Futures lineup. I dumped em quick.
it's all in your head little man. "very rakey" fins work just fine, no difference in performance from .3 degrees in sweep angle. a properly sized DH template ain't going to fix your surfing inadequacies.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Didn’t the r6 proto get good reviews?

I thought Noel salad liked them before he started upselling his own template.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
You send him pix if board , rocker & outline & concave depth in fin area
Fin placement #s
Height weight
Surfing style ( back foot pocket , forward stance trim and slash, or whatever vocabulary you can generate)

He will offer his opinions

PayPal monies

Wait 7 days to couple moths

Enjoy

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
it's all in your head little man. "very rakey" fins work just fine, no difference in performance from .3 degrees in sweep angle. a properly sized DH template ain't going to fix your surfing inadequacies.
LOL

All in your head=bullshit.

The DHD template works great for me.

I have no idea what the sweep angle is.

Nor do I have any idea what the sweep angle is on the R6. All I remember is it being a big, rakey fin.

If you think lots of rake and lots of fin area is great in all conditions and in all surfboards, go for it.

Maybe throw some grom size fins in your board and enjoy.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
LOL
All in your head=bullshit.
The DHD template works great for me.
I have no idea what the sweep angle is.
Nor do I have any idea what the sweep angle is on the R6. All I remember is it being a big, rakey fin.
If you think lots of rake and lots of fin area is great in all conditions and in all surfboards, go for it.
Maybe throw some grom size fins in your board and enjoy.
I don't need to as a normal sized human, a smaller sized surfer wouldn't notice much difference. Splitting hairs and over analyzing numbers isn't a good way to improve surfing performance, it should be about the feeling and getting in tune with the wave. Anyone with a decent amount of experience in the water should already have some clue of what board and fin combos will feel best in certain conditions.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I don't need to as a normal sized human, a smaller sized surfer wouldn't notice much difference. Splitting hairs and over analyzing numbers isn't a good way to improve surfing performance, it should be about the feeling and getting in tune with the wave. Anyone with a decent amount of experience in the water should already have some clue of what board and fin combos will feel best in certain conditions.
I didn't analyze any numbers.

I know what I like.

FCS 2 - I've always ridden Fannings.
Futures - F6s, DHDs

That pretty much has me covered.

I don't really play around with fins.

Reactions: Kento and Havoc

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'm back for more punishment from you all. :monkey:

What's philosophy on fins for a gun (8'2")? Thruster setup. I used to have a set of Rainbows for them but they were snapped off at base when leash broke one day at Todos. Couldn't tell you anything about them otherwise and I never thought much about the fins. Haven't had a reason to use that board in many years but looks like move up to NorCal is happening and I guess I might be needing that board up there when it gets meaty (mildly terrifying concept; will have to get the lungs in prime shape).

Last edited: