Foil Session Logs

Mar 22, 2020
i'd wait for the kujira over the uni 170, the 170 is still a huge span if you want to hotdog it, my 71cm span gong HA goes rail to rail like crazy and is insanely fast, almost too fast for turns at points, i think you'll still be stuck in swoopy land on the 170 uni although that thing does pump like an absolute mofo it's still fVcking wide.
Have you tried the uni170 ?

I've been using the Sig 165 (same as uni 170) and it does turn really good despite having a wingspan of 900cm. I would say a cut down flat stab is what you need to make it easier to turn, at least this is what I use. This set up is also one of the lightest in the market.

Also, I think you can't compare Gong to Uni or Sig, it would be like comaring NSP surfboard to Lost surfboard. I have many friends with Gong set up and they struggle so much (the weight, it is so woobly, screws are very low quality, etc...).

Reactions: grendel95

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Have you tried the uni170 ?

I've been using the Sig 165 (same as uni 170) and it does turn really good despite having a wingspan of 900cm. I would say a cut down flat stab is what you need to make it easier to turn, at least this is what I use. This set up is also one of the lightest in the market.

Also, I think you can't compare Gong to Uni or Sig, it would be like comaring NSP surfboard to Lost surfboard. I have many friends with Gong set up and they struggle so much (the weight, it is so woobly, screws are very low quality, etc...).
yep, rode a 170 last weekend, epic pumping but far too wide for me at my 65kg size to be any use for good sharp surf style turning, it's nice and swoopy not like a shortboard, maybe a smaller tail would have helped, felt like the axis 1000 i rode last year, insane pump but goes in a straight line unless you're a lot heavier i guess?

i also found the flexibility in the whole uni setup was not great, it was the new 2 piece fuse, much softer/ floppy than the aluminium takuma mast/gong fuse setup, it was nice and light though.
i think progression mentioned the play in the split fuse on a uni he had on the latest kdmaui podcast.

how big a stab on your 165? i'll get my friend to cut one of his down and try again on a small day.

do your friends have the medium veloce gong wing? with the 210cm kite tail it's incredibly good for turns.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2020
yep, rode a 170 last weekend, epic pumping but far too wide for me at my 65kg size to be any use for good sharp surf style turning, it's nice and swoopy not like a shortboard, maybe a smaller tail would have helped, felt like the axis 1000 i rode last year, insane pump but goes in a straight line unless you're a lot heavier i guess?

i also found the flexibility in the whole uni setup was not great, it was the new 2 piece fuse, much softer/ floppy than the aluminium takuma mast/gong fuse setup, it was nice and light though.
i think progression mentioned the play in the split fuse on a uni he had on the latest kdmaui podcast.

how big a stab on your 165? i'll get my friend to cut one of his down and try again on a small day.

do your friends have the medium veloce gong wing? with the 210cm kite tail it's incredibly good for turns.
No you are right my friends don't have the new Veloce (which look nice) but it is not the wing that is the problem it is the fact everyting is not tight, I guess the carbon one piece mast/fus is much better.

I'm 73kg so not heavy. My flat stab is 15" and I use a shim which actually makes the set up feel stiffer. So sometimes, the woobly feeling does not come from the stiffness but more about the stab angle (hard to believe but this is waht happened).
Also I don't have the Unifol but Signature, maybe the constuction is differtent ? Also I this wing needs be at least for me more forward than other foil on the board (my back foot is behind the mast).

Like I already said, this is probably not the best for hight performance shortboard style riding but it is in my opinion (regarding what I have tried so far) this is the best combo turning/speed/glide/pumping. Since I'm using this wing I have improved my level a lot (not talking about pumping, tlaking about carving turn, top turn and now trying to hit the section to do blow tail turn).

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
with some simple packing tape on the mast the slop can go away with aluminium setups, i set up a takuma lol alu setup for a friend today, it was very sloppy out of the box but packing tape on both sides of the mast and it was completely solid, the front wing was slightly slack though,

yes, my friends ride larger wings than me (GL140/210) and pump far far better than me for link ups but on the face when it comes to turns i have a definite advantage which is all i want if the waves have enough power,
i have the 1600 lol for pumping and loops if i'm in the mood although once you've dialled in a 935cm wing it's hard to upsize and lose that responsiveness unless it's really small and weak.

maybe next year we can have wings that pump well and turn like a small surf wing? that sounds like what the lift guy said he is making on his podcast for next year.

are you shimming for more or less lift?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Why didn't you ever get the 1300 LOL sozzle? I heard the new AXIS carbon mast coming out is supposed to be stiffer than the 16mm aluminum mast I'm on right now. That's pretty tempting to wait for that. I really like AXIS, I just need a goldilocks wing. The 760 is close, but not it. I leave the 900 in the car 9 out of 10 sessions. The 900 is a really good wing though. Just not the type of surfing I want to do.

Here's my latest fall reel of foiling I want to do. I don't think I posted this anywhere. I didn't get anything worth pulling today, but I had a fun session on the 760.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Why didn't you ever get the 1300 LOL sozzle?
Partly personal reasons, mainly the dealer here is a total fvcking d!ck, secondly it's still a really big friggin wing for my weight, my friend unpacked his today and i thought it was a 1600!!
the kujira looks unbelievably good though, if i was somewhere with a good dealer i'd buy that in a heartbeat, although maybe i'd wait for the smaller ones to drop first.

i'm riding a 935cm now and it feels epic, i'm more than stoked with my gong crap, i had rides that literally had me screaming out loud last week, good job i was the only one out...

happy to wait a bit for the next gen of wings before i change out from my current setup, the next ones should be 'the ones'.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
whitewater scares me!
i'm not into foam hits but am starting to work on ending up in really steep sections in roundhouses and trying to ride out of the pocket under the the lip full speed, probably just as risky but i'm telling myself its all good.

Reactions: grendel95
Mar 22, 2020
Hdip, you should ask surfdocsteve to see if you can try out his Cloud9 (he is got everything).

I haven't talked to Axis for a while, I don't know what is coming up.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Hdip, you should ask surfdocsteve to see if you can try out his Cloud9 (he is got everything).

I’d have to drive down south to do that though. I am not fond of that drive.

Plus covid.

My latest scheme is my most hairbrained yet. It would involve tapping a fuse with new holes which I don’t know how to do. So that kind of stopped me. I’m a mess.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009

Interesting to see kdmaui's proto, the cloud9's and the new mfc foil all having forward swept trailing edges, kane said it's for efficiency.
I’d have to drive down south to do that though. I am not fond of that drive.

Plus covid.

My latest scheme is my most hairbrained yet. It would involve tapping a fuse with new holes which I don’t know how to do. So that kind of stopped me. I’m a mess.

easy job.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do it!!!! I was scouting for np stuff but I just don’t have the cash right now, if I did I’d be on that train quicker than a quick thing.
Front wing is $650 fit's on Neil Pryde fuse. If you buy the tail at the same time it's $200, but does NOT fit the Neil Pryde fuse, it needs new holes tapped. Also the Neil Pryde fuse works better if you mod the front a bit he says.

Neil Pryde fuse $145. 70cm aluminum mast $145, Plate mount adapter $145. Roughly.

Full Neil Pryde medium setup, $599.

His pricing is competitive with any of the major companies. He says it'll take about a week to get it.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Sounds More than doable with some guidance from the man himself I’d bet.

You’d have the ultimate shred setup!

Just order the wings and then get the rest, make sure to post many pictures.

The np carbon mast looks delicious.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
yeh that was more a comment on the mast itself, not a buying suggestion lol, just get the alu one.

i did see von piros said that the alu takuma mast is stiffer than the carbon one, if it's anything like the uni i played with i'd agree with that statement.

the np carbon looks considerably beefier construction wise but then so does the price tag.:eek:

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
A big moment in the life of a foiler, I connected my first 2 for 1. Stoked! Iwa foil. With more experimentation in higher aspect wings, I anticipate being a full-on pump monkey soon, or at least as far as this middle ager will get down that road. ;-)
Congrats!!

I am working on this too. Its like the holy grail trying to figure out how to pump back out.