NSR - Martial Arts/Ju jitsui for teenagers?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Seems like belt promotions in 80s/90s era martial arts (and those that still adhere to that model) are just a way to justify the autopay. New belt every 2-3 months regardless of your actual progress and ability level, yay!
BJJ belts normally take a couple years to promote.

10 years to get black belt with consistent training is about the average.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I’ve seen his videos. Cool choreography.
I've done some BJJ, judo, and muay thai for several years. I took a PDR class with my wife to get her some basic self defense training. It was a good class for its scope which is a "first aid/CPR-style training for self-defense." What can you learn in a weekend to be able to defend yourself?

Gym training in BJJ, wrestling, boxing, and muay thai are great but not the same as learning how to defend against criminal violence. Most people are not going to start training any of the above, either.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
BJJ belts normally take a couple years to promote.

10 years to get black belt with consistent training is about the average.
For sure, which is what I respect about it. Seems like its about as close as you can get to a meritocracy with anything in life.

When I did TKD in middle school, everyone got a new belt at fixed intervals, regardless of your ability . . . . As long as your account was current.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What can you learn in a weekend to be able to defend yourself?
Not anything that will work when you need it 3 years later.

Part of what makes BJJ, wrestling, boxing, Muay Thai effective in a real fight is that you spar against uncooperative opponents regularly. Especially BJJ and wrestling.

It toughens you and it calms you. You can keep you cool in a highly charged physical confrontaion.

I’ve been getting smashed almost everyday for the last 10 years. I am totally clear and comfortable when someone is on top of me punching me in the face and trying to choke me. And my body will act instinctively the correct way because of thousands of hours of being in the situation that is burned into nervous system.

If you don’t want to commit to regular training with hard sparring save you money you’d spend on the weekend course, buy some running shoes and work on your cardio.

Reactions: Chocki

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
For sure, which is what I respect about it. Seems like its about as close as you can get to a meritocracy with anything in life.

When I did TKD in middle school, everyone got a new belt at fixed intervals, regardless of your ability . . . . As long as your account was current.
Yes, and regardless of belt color everyone knows where everyone stands. We are confronted with this truth every time step onto the mat.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
IMO, if you really want them to be able to handle being able to scrap(boys) or not get raped(girls), then the answer is Old-School BJJ aka self defense BJJ aka the Carlson Gracie lineage/“school”.

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
What do you think of Icy Mike?

Icy Mike is an actual fighter and (most of) his videos are made for other actual fighters who train actual fighting.

For example, when he’s going over picking targets for outside leg kicks he’s assuming the viewing knows how to throw a leg kick.

The Blauer dude has son good stuff but doing a few weekend seminars performing choreographed moves isn’t going to help anyone in a fight.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Have not even mentioned this to them...they might just go fook this...
My boy (17) is totally into it...says he's been wanting to do it for a long time but mom said no...I said this is a quick bypass of mom...

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I got into judo in high school. Probably one of the best things to happen to me.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I
My boy (17) is totally into it...says he's been wanting to do it for a long time but mom said no...I said this is a quick bypass of mom...
27 years later and Nelson still has the same smile on his face lol. It was a privilege to train with him in his garage. While I was there and even more so in hindsight. I’ve told bjj people about it and the reply was you trained with a legend. Very self defense oriented. Max Shank’s gym Ambition Athletics is right next door. Something tells me that building produces killers.

Last edited:

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
San Diego is like the mecca these days for BJJ schools. I'm sure all of the schools are good and super competitive. I would probably pick 10th planet just because they are mostly nogi and it looks like they have a balanced program with striking/yoga/fitness included. I like the EBI ruleset over IBJJF too.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
San Diego is like the mecca these days for BJJ schools. I'm sure all of the schools are good and super competitive. I would probably pick 10th planet just because they are mostly nogi and it looks like they have a balanced program with striking/yoga/fitness included. I like the EBI ruleset over IBJJF too.
Back in 93 I asked Nelson “what up with you Brazilians and SoCal?”. “Reminds us of home.”
I’d visit a bunch of schools and check out the vibe/curriculum and I’m biased but imo IT WOULD BE INSANE NOT TO TRAIN AT A GRACIE BARRA SCHOOL IF YOU HAD THE CHANCE. Especially one that a had a legend like Nelson Monteiro at the helm. This was a man who when I asked him “Nelson, why is there a gnarly kitchen knife in your garage” replied “for when anyone asks about Gracie JJ defense against knife attacks”. One of the nicest, raddest, gnarliest dudes I ever met.

Not to mention his protege, Rafael Ramos:

You want old school badass BJJ that has legit self defense applications? Imo this is one of the very best sources in the country. The entire Gracie Barra org is very well respected especially in/at competitions. Gracie Barra don’t play.

1601908668292.jpeg

Last edited: