*** Official Fin Thread ***

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Funny the Large Fannings always felt kind of overly stiff and tracky to me too unless the waves were absolutely cooking. I'm a bit heavier now so they'd probably be fine.

The large AM's felt easier to throw around than the Fanning's.

Do you have some medium AM's Casa? What's your usual go to fin?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I'd also like to know what the dims are on these.. I wonder how close they are to the EA quads??
haven't been able to find any numbers for these yet. curious about the foil on the rears as well.

maybe @Pyzelsurfboards will chime in?

i run fiberglass EA quads in my padillac. they work well but i can't say i really have time to notice exactly how they feel when I'm surfing. mostly focused on not dying.

Jul 5, 2009
OK, I rode both the Fannings and Kolohes today. Both mediums.

Fannings - Rode at a crappy, slabby reef. Very drivey and felt very tracky. Poor release off the bottom and sticky at the lip. Plenty of speed through a roundhouse cutback but then no ability to throw the turn back around. In all I felt overfinned and I usually love these fins.
Kolohe - rode at a crappy beachbreak. Good release all-around but every backhand reentry had me sliding into a reverse. Not how I want to surf.

Basically it feels like I need something in between those two fins.

Keep in mind I'm 145lbs so YMMV. Surf was also total sh!t both sessions, I caught very few waves because there were very few worth going on.
thank you Casa, now I'm thinking I will probably get the Mick mediums and keep the k fins for middle fins

Reactions: jkb

Waterlogged05

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2005
I'm in the same struggle, im down weight a bit now from from 145 to 135 and cant break free om am2s FCS
Reactor(kelly) is amazing on lip but that lack of drive off the bottom is apparent

Reactions: Puffy

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Is the fcs dhd medium really that much bigger than the futures base dhd medium? Fcs is showing area of 15.49 while futures shows area of 14.37. Thats a big difference. Anyone bored at a shop reading this compare the two?
FCS medium is definitely bigger.

The weird one is the large - both fcs and futures have similar dimensions (futures actually slightly taller) but FCS has a larger area? While I haven't been able to compare the two, the FCS one I own is definitely a big-ass fin. Maybe they changed the template a bit for futures? I have the full glass version. Wish I got the mediums because they're so big.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

The weird one is the large - both fcs and futures have similar dimensions (futures actually slightly taller) but FCS has a larger area? While I haven't been able to compare the two, the FCS one I own is definitely a big-ass fin. Maybe they changed the template a bit for futures? I have the full glass version. Wish I got the mediums because they're so big.
The FCS version is bigger.

The Futures DHD with an area of 14.37 is probably the most perfect all around fin out there for guys in the 145lb zone.

The Driver 2.0 might need fins from GG. Can anyone tell me how his ordering process works?

Reactions: Dick Bananas
Jul 5, 2009
I'm in the same struggle, im down weight a bit now from from 145 to 135 and cant break free om am2s FCS
Reactor(kelly) is amazing on lip but that lack of drive off the bottom is apparent
i weight 155-160 but am still feeling lack of drive from the k2.0 or maybe i'm just whining haha

Nov 5, 2019

Why do they always do this stupid sh!t and complicate everything? Sounds like fcs med is for you...Anyway, thanks for weighing in.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
futures DHD medium was a massive let down.

I want futures base fannings in M/L area, like low 15’s.

What’s the closest we can get with what’s out there?