Gas powered vehicles -DONE

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
electric cars will continue to get more inexpensive and easier to operate
across the vast wildernesses we all have to traverse in our annual life or
death migrations to...mammoth

the naysayers should drive a tesla on open road; if you don't get a boner,
then you're not a human being and therefor I don't care what your opinion is.

battery tech being driven by the auto sector is going to play well in domestic
energy storage which is where things get muy interesante to me and likely
to someone like ogro who lives the life most of the petit bourgeois are aiming
for with their zero emission leave no trace green energy aspirations

self-driving is not the primary selling point, but it's directionally relevant to the
conversation

• Love
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Nice. Sounds like some commitment to score it good.
Work would always take me there late Oct - mid November, which is pretty late for those New Zealand south hemis which would light this place up.
This was a trip for Hobie and eventhough it was hot as heck and I broke my toe, it was one for the history books. :love:

FA448B93-0693-4453-A715-3634407A2406.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008

self-driving is not the primary selling point, but it's directionally relevant to the
conversation
I was surprised how many there were in Yellowstone. There was a charging station in West Yellowstone, but it must take some planning to get across those empty states

And self-driving is the worst idea ever

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010

conversation
Look at where batteries were 15 years ago compared to now and it’s hard to visualize 15 years in the future. Not so much the technology as the practical application.

Availability to the masses in 15 years? Dunno.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Look at where batteries were 15 years ago compared to now and it’s hard to visualize 15 years in the future. Not so much the technology as the practical application.

Availability to the masses in 15 years? Dunno.
Do you mean that in a bad way or a good way?

They need wind powered cars

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sure, electricity in a town in Mexico means there are electric car charging stations. El fvckin Roble is a town in Mexico. I went there Tuesday. They have electricity there. No charging stations. Beer and ice. Sabritas.
I was just saying I liked the strange bedfellows or the "side-switching" or whatever. I am not sure exactly when there will be shitloads of Teslas in Mexico. Sorry to be a Gringo dick about it, but who gives a f--k? The bus system is dopegame and I doubt Mexico's single passenger car emissions are all that much compared to larger/wealthier countries.

I'd be more interested in charging stations in the DF. Not sure how many DF can afford a $25K model Elon says is coming, if he'd target the Euro/BRIC city market with a $15k offering a decade out, or if electric could replace diesel for things like city buses and maybe help the air quality and quality of life for a shitload of my fellow North Americans choking on the air in Valle de Mexico.

I'd want Fecal's whip for TJ to Chiapas (and beyond), maybe just a Taco and a dual sport motorcycle if I lived there.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Ford said it will use Rivian’s “skateboard” - a chassis that bundles electric motor, batteries and controls - to build a new vehicle for North America. It did not provide details on what type of vehicle, and where or when it would be built.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
@plasticbertrand that spot is fickle but can get good as you say! I need some info on that solar panel for your tundra. What’s the dealio?
Yeah, not that many good lefts on that coast, I guess that gave it away lolol.

It's just a 120W solar panel that runs my Goal Zero whatchama thingy. Pretty simple set up and cheap too. I decided to permanently install it on the hood, perhaps stupidly, but it does the job while driving too.

It actually does a better job than the wall charger. In ideal conditions, mid-day overhead sun, I get constant 100-105W. You can daisy chain them too if you need more juice.

ECO-WORTHY 12V Solar Panel, 120W... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQNV89S?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I was just saying I liked the strange bedfellows or the "side-switching" or whatever. I am not sure exactly when there will be shitloads of Teslas in Mexico. Sorry to be a Gringo dick about it, but who gives a f--k? The bus system is dopegame and I doubt Mexico's single passenger car emissions are all that much compared to larger/wealthier countries.

I'd be more interested in charging stations in the DF. Not sure how many DF can afford a $25K model Elon says is coming, if he'd target the Euro/BRIC city market with a $15k offering a decade out, or if electric could replace diesel for things like city buses and maybe help the air quality and quality of life for a shitload of my fellow North Americans choking on the air in Valle de Mexico.

I'd want Fecal's whip for TJ to Chiapas (and beyond), maybe just a Taco and a dual sport motorcycle if I lived there.
The defectuosa’s first electric city bus came out the beginning of the week.

Riding the bus system here on vacation is a horse of a different hue than depending on it for your day to day transportation needs. Nobody that can afford not to does it out of concern for the global warmings.

After all, the issue at hand is global warmings. Not your trip to
E36CD993-308F-4EBB-993A-6BE92D7053C9.jpeg

Reactions: JBerry

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
@PRCD
Totally agree w your first para.
eh on your 2nd. Of course 92% of the people will use an ice car!They’ve been around for what 60,80,100 yrs?

However when you compare the time that Evs have been around, specifically Tesla, (10+yrs)and see what he’s PROVEN to work in an ev,
My guess is in another 15, it will be a bunch of finely tuned small improvements including cost, efficiency, availability, and adaptability as well as plenty of aftermarket parts, repair shops and journeyman techs that will help people see the benefits over ice.
It’s just a matter of time, say 15 yrs?
Technologically, Musk is known for overpromising and underdelivering. There aren't any incremental improvements you can make to the energy density resulting from the battery chemistry. It is what it is. Lithium Ion is a 30-40 year-old technology. They are trying to improve the electrodes and geometries of the battery, but these improvements aren't going to change the range of the battery though they will likely improve the durability and longevity. See for example this and this and this. I saw something else the other day about using a SAW filter to prevent the two sides of the battery from mixing over time and extending the life of the battery.

Recharge times are a big problem and prevent EVs in general from being used beyond their stated factory range which is specified with 100% charge. The closer the battery gets to 100% charged, the longer the incremental charge takes. For "around town" trips, it's fine. Beyond that, it's not. At best, it takes about an hour to charge the car with a supercharger. This tacks on an extra 3 hours to your 1000 mile trip if you want to be able to drive at your destination. While this may not bother childless petit bourgeoisie, it bothers normal people with families. For a car to lack cross country capability, I'm going to expect to pay a lot less for the missing key feature of the car. Also, what are the "overnight charging" options for the renters who compose more than half the state population? Will apartment building owners start routing 220 V power to each parking space in their parking garages to facilitate overnight charging for renters? Will the grid support that?

The most concerning thing is that Tesla isn't even profitable. It's kept alive by taxpayer money on both the producer (green subsidies) and consumer side (tax breaks for the upper middle class and rich who buy them). Musk is essentially paying nothing for the non recurring engineering (NRE) costs and his cars are still priced in the range of a full-sized Honda minivan. To childless petit bourgeoisie, this doesn't matter. To the rest of the world, it does.

And I’m just a dumb painter and my wife is in finance, nothing too hoidy toidy in those jobs. So much nicer not going to the big ole corporate gas stations every 3-5 days. Time our charge at home overnight when needed, enough to last plenty miles!
Like I said, the cars are popular with the petit bourgeoisie.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Technologically, Musk is known for overpromising and underdelivering. There aren't any incremental improvements you can make to the energy density resulting from the battery chemistry. It is what it is. Lithium Ion is a 30-40 year-old technology. They are trying to improve the electrodes and geometries of the battery, but these improvements aren't going to change the range of the battery though they will likely improve the durability and longevity. See for example this and this and this. I saw something else the other day about using a SAW filter to prevent the two sides of the battery from mixing over time and extending the life of the battery.

Recharge times are a big problem and prevent EVs in general from being used beyond their stated factory range which is specified with 100% charge. The closer the battery gets to 100% charged, the longer the incremental charge takes. For "around town" trips, it's fine. Beyond that, it's not. At best, it takes about an hour to charge the car with a supercharger. This tacks on an extra 3 hours to your 1000 mile trip if you want to be able to drive at your destination. While this may not bother childless petit bourgeoisie, it bothers normal people with families. For a car to lack cross country capability, I'm going to expect to pay a lot less for the missing key feature of the car. Also, what are the "overnight charging" options for the renters who compose more than half the state population? Will apartment building owners start routing 220 V power to each parking space in their parking garages to facilitate overnight charging for renters? Will the grid support that?

The most concerning thing is that Tesla isn't even profitable. It's kept alive by taxpayer money on both the producer (green subsidies) and consumer side (tax breaks for the upper middle class and rich who buy them). Musk is essentially paying nothing for the non recurring engineering (NRE) costs and his cars are still priced in the range of a full-sized Honda minivan. To childless petit bourgeoisie, this doesn't matter. To the rest of the world, it does.

Like I said, the cars are popular with the petit bourgeoisie.
aka, why doesn't everyone just eat all organic?

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
aka, why doesn't everyone just eat all organic?
Yeah, Teslas are popular with the same people who shop at Whole Paycheck.

It's alarming how little the Cloud People understand those outside their bubble.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
The defectuosa’s first electric city bus came out the beginning of the week.

Riding the bus system here on vacation is a horse of a different hue than depending on it for your day to day transportation needs. Nobody that can afford not to does it out of concern for the global warmings.

After all, the issue at hand is global warmings. Not your trip to
I am normally the only person I see on a bus down there who is not Mexican.

I used to work in Ponte Vedra Beach March 2013-March2016. I saw a shitload of BMW, Audi, Mercedes get traded in for Teslas. The ATP Americas (Tennis) and PGA HQ are within a mile of each other and the place is rich Tumper central.

They don't give a f--k about Global Warming. They're buying Teslas because they can seat 4 and blow Corvettes the f--k away in stoplight drag races. For starters.