Mental Health thread

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
We are teaching remotely in the spring too.

That really freaked out my ANS.

I could get through this semester if I knew the end was in sight.

I'm saving $250 a month on gas and parking.

I would gladly pay to get back to the office.

I don't even care if I get sick.

Yet, I know I have the capacity to endure, my nervous system is just hiding it from my conscious awareness.

That is a good thing for everyone to remember.

You are stronger than you know.

There is a good reason for this lack of awareness.

Your nervous system is hiding resources for an emergency.

Look, it's an emergency! :dancing:
You talk about your nervous system like it's that alien symbiote that makes Venom.

TangTonic

Nep status
Feb 24, 2011
To me stressed erbb bredren,

Jus ah cool an relax an hold ah vibes.

No need fi stress.

Love alone can guide you through these troubled times.

The earth will spin whether you are alive or not, so make the best of it.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Trying to teach my 2nd grader how to solve math word problems was a toll on the mental health but nothing a couple beers couldn't solve. :beer:

At least went better than my wife's attempt with her, which developed into a screaming match :oops: and, uh, yeah, more :beer:

• Haha
Reactions: r32

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
We are teaching remotely in the spring too.

That really freaked out my ANS.

I could get through this semester if I knew the end was in sight.

I'm saving $250 a month on gas and parking.

I would gladly pay to get back to the office.

I don't even care if I get sick.

Yet, I know I have the capacity to endure, my nervous system is just hiding it from my conscious awareness.

That is a good thing for everyone to remember.

You are stronger than you know.

There is a good reason for this lack of awareness.

Your nervous system is hiding resources for an emergency.

Look, it's an emergency! :dancing:
They are talking about going to a hybrid in-person system in Nov, or maybe after Christmas. BUT, if 3 people on any campus test positive, it's back to on-line for 2 weeks. I can foresee a back-and-forth see-saw that grinds on until June. Which would be even worse than being all on-line, IMO.

Reactions: tenover

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
They talked about this too.

I was like, you can't plan on teaching remotely and then just change.

Good programing needs stability.

Teachers need a certain degree of certainty to be effective.

I'm just trying to be nice to the kids and tell them if they need help with any high stakes writing situations after the class I will help with them.

That is how I self regulate this clusterfuck.

I am getting my remote teaching comedy groove down.

I might not be funny but I can go for it the way I will do in the classroom.

I realize I had a fearlessness in the classroom that I didn't have teaching in my bedroom talking to a computer.

Humans are adaptable.

Reactions: Boneroni

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I really want to be back in the classroom.
I really don't want to try to teach in person AND online.
I really don't want to bounce back and forth.

Our district sounds committed to DL all year, but things change quickly these days.

Reactions: Autoprax

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Just had our 'classroom setup' training and walkthrough for our upcoming hybrid schedule. Basically will have to take every good teaching practice I've learned or tried and shelf it for now. I thought teaching 6 year olds was like herding cats, now it's like herding cats while keeping a mask on their face. :roflmao:

• Wow
Reactions: the janitor

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Just had our 'classroom setup' training and walkthrough for our upcoming hybrid schedule. Basically will have to take every good teaching practice I've learned or tried and shelf it for now. I thought teaching 6 year olds was like herding cats, now it's like herding cats while keeping a mask on their face. :roflmao:
holy crap HarryLopez, that is going to be nuts!

I have so much respect (and sympathy) for parents and teachers of younger kids right now. It takes soooooo much energy to engage those cute as heck little kids. I miss that age a lot, though. My daughter is 12 going on 16

Reactions: HarryLopez2

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My sister gets the highest math scores in the district. She is a GREAT teacher but this sh!t is killing her.

She wants to quit.

She used to tell me I couldn't quit (I was getting raked over the coals at work for no reason)

Now I got to tell her.

The things that nourishes me as a teacher is the connections I make with the kids.

I miss that.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
My sister gets the highest math scores in the district. She is a GREAT teacher but this sh!t is killing her.

She wants to quit.

She used to tell me I couldn't quit (I was getting raked over the coals at work for no reason)

Now I got to tell her.

The things that nourishes me as a teacher is the connections I make with the kids.

I miss that.
I was setting up my room singing Pink Floyd songs, cause that is what it will look like. Creepy and weird.

Being a great teacher at this point will not help, in fact, it will drive you more crazy. The high comes from not freaking out, accepting the reality, being in the moment, and valuing what is in front of you. Longing for the past is like comparing every surf session to that magical day in Moorea with no one out, dead winds, and double-overhead barrels. It will only bring sadness and longing for something better.

Reactions: Boneroni

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
That has been my experience of surfing in 2020 versus 2019. Exhibit A can be seen in my avatar photo to the left. May 2019

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was setting up my room singing Pink Floyd songs, cause that is what it will look like. Creepy and weird.

Being a great teacher at this point will not help, in fact, it will drive you more crazy. The high comes from not freaking out, accepting the reality, being in the moment, and valuing what is in front of you. Longing for the past is like comparing every surf session to that magical day in Moorea with no one out, dead winds, and double-overhead barrels. It will only bring sadness and longing for something better.
My older sister made the point that for the teachers who don't care, this might even be a better set up.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I can relate to this.

And like others said, I miss building relationships with students.
I miss the unplanned moments. Conversations you did not anticipate, class discussions that catch fire, Observations that turn into moments that help you forge connections. All of that is difficult to impossible with 14-16 year olds with a screen between you

Reactions: afoaf