Home improvement - where to start?

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
Better to buy windows and have installed by an independent contractor...or do a windows+install under the same roof combo?

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Better to buy windows and have installed by an independent contractor...or do a windows+install under the same roof combo?
That's kind of like, which is better fish or steak. The contractor isn't making the windows, so that part doesn't matter. If you supply the windows, you save money on the contractor's mark- up, but if they go wrong, a lot of fingers will be pointing. Who's at fault when they leak? The manufacturer, the installer, the painter, or the stucco man?

By the way, most window replacement only contractors are the worst, fly by night crooks .

The best advice that nobody takes is hire a contractor who worked for someone you know 2 years ago. If the work lasted 2 years, hire him. Don't even look at the price.

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
By the way, most window replacement only contractors are the worst, fly by night crooks .
"Window replacement only." As in businesses such as this?

The best advice that nobody takes is hire a contractor who worked for someone you know 2 years ago. If the work lasted 2 years, hire him. Don't even look at the price.
Two years? Don't look at the price? Can you explain a little?

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
yeah, living in a construction zone while working from home might be challenging, but a couple of months of apologizing on 10 zoom calls a day will build character
Heh, if you are redoing the kitchen, you will basically be camping in the living room for some extended period of time. Prepare accordingly.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Heh, if you are redoing the kitchen, you will basically be camping in the living room for some extended period of time. Prepare accordingly.
I still remember my parents redoing their kitchen while I was in grade school.

Freezer food eating prime and even I got tired of the microwave made dishes.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
you are going to need some hand holding.

once you and your future architect/designer come up with a plan you like and can afford, follow their advice when it comes to a builder that can execute it.

they'll have guys they know and trust to pull off the vision. check out everybody's references.

don't think you are going to save a few bucks by supplying materials like windows. your paying the builder to deal with the headaches of scheduling and work flow. no sense adding another dimension to the puzzle, it often only makes things take longer.

lets face it, if you were a pro at this you wouldnt be asking a surf forum for advice.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
If you add any square feet to your home the price goes up insanely. I live in a million dollar house the size of a shoebox and when I got the bids to expand I sh!t an actual brick, which doesn't feel good I can assure you. We ended up doing a full interior remodel and did not add any square feet.

If you can open up the kitchen by knocking out a wall to the LR/DR you can make your place seem a lot bigger. The great room concept.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
MUST HAVE: Have them rough plumb in a warm water outdoor shower. It's illegal but soooo worth it.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
This is what I’m working with.
Very small space
some room to push out but not a ton
would love to turn the back part of the driveway into a side / back patio
this kitchen is a little over 20 years old
so, erbb, go ahead and redesign my kitchen!

2E162A4D-F7A6-4444-A7CE-1A4B4EF0DEFB.jpeg1B081977-7787-4B5D-A57F-4021C808C6BE.jpeg

Last edited:

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
Will zoning let you live into the driveway? Side yard setback. Where did the Gagage go?

As for the kitchen.
1) looose the ceiling fan
2) install recessed ceiling lights. Better lighting, and that raised the ceiling a foot.
3) looose the right wall, and replace with a beam.
4) new cabinets go all the way to the ceiling.

That's a start, until you find out about setbacks.

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
You said hire a contractor who did work for someone you know that lasted 2 years.

That's the contractor who did work for someone I know that lasted 2 years.
Just because you are arguing the point with an internet stranger, wanting to prove that your window guy is good, makes you a bad client.

drainer

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2009
Lewdcadia
I don't have a window guy.

I was simply trying to decipher what you were saying.

I'll never understand people that advertise their business here and go about behaving like a total idiot.

You're similar to Greg Griffin.

The main difference is Greg doesn't keep posting the same tired few pictures over and over.

Last edited:

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
i think you should tell drainer why that contractor is bad. seems like that's all he's asking for.
Mass window install companies installing vinyl windows remove the existing sashes, and glue/ caulk in insert frames.

2 problems with that.
1) They aren't waterproofed properly, and rely on a glob of silicone over the stucco to keep the window dry.
2) the insert window is smaller than the existing window, in order for it to fit inside the old frame. In bedrooms, there are egress minimum sizes, in case you need to get out in a fire. The new windows almost always don't meet egress anymore.

No good contractor would do that.

Reactions: mundus

Why_was_I_banned

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 5, 2020
I don't have a window guy.

I was simply trying to decipher what you were saying.

I'll never understand people that advertise their business here and go about behaving like a total idiot.

You're similar to Greg Griffin.

The main difference is Greg doesn't keep posting the same tired few pictures over and over.
Are you asking for more pictures of my work? I don't keep that many kitchen photos in my phone. Sorry I'm boring you.