Modern-ish twin?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
beating a dead horse, but Rusty Twin fin goes good backside.

So the Townsend asym twin doesn't work well backside? asking for a friend.
Wouldn't say it works well (for me). TBH I haven't had it in many good lefts and this being my first forrey in asym/twin and it being a mid length, a lot of this is foreign territory and something feels off/missing backside. That being said all those same design features make it a blast frontside and can see with this or other designs, a shorter lower railed version would be an step in a better direction, (for me). Lastly, I haven't tried any other fins that the EN and obviously this could make a big difference.

Reactions: tedshred5

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Just out of curiosity who was the first pro to use a twin, quad, or unconventional shape post "momentum generation" in a heat? I know Dane Reynolds use the MTF in France in 09ish, did Wardo ever ride twins or quads in heats when he was on tour?
pretty sure Wardo rode a quad at small Chpes

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Josh Kerr won a heat at Teahupoo on a self-shaped (under Rusty Preisendorfer's watch) asymmetrical quad back in 2015. It had channels on his heel side as well as a longer rail line, which is the opposite (rail line) than I see on most other asyms.

Reactions: oeste858

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
All have pointy noses.
It's amazing how conservative the pros are. I agree a lot of it is the judges (still) underscore an obviously short/wide/blunt-nosed board for aesthetics. The pro who seems to experiment the most- out of contests- is Steph Gilmore. Very stylish on a twin fish.
I believe a pre-FW Jimmy Slade came in during a heat he was losing in poor waves and switch to a borrowed Evo to ride one wave at the end of the heat. Conditions didn't offer much IIRC and it was more of an I'm-over-it-statement.
Stu Kennedy won a lot of heats one summer on a Vanguard during a couple QS contests at lowers and HB. He was ripping in junk surf and I think that brought a lot of attention to Tomos short wide MPH shapes at the time.
Josh Kerr looks like he's surfing better than ever on his Album twins and asyms.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Wade Tokoro made a design he calls the Project. It’s not fishy but it has a wider nose and lower rocker. Sorry don’t know the numbers but it’s flatter than the average hpsb. He made some boards for Kelly and Kelly’s manager told Wade to make one for himself with the SD logo and they would pay for it. Wade shaped it to look more hp. And Reo Inaba ended up with the board. He was hesitant to ride it in contests because of the wider nose and flat rocker. Believing he would get underscored by the judges. He was wrong and went on a tear at the beginning of last season staying in the top 25 of the QS for half the season, riding the “cheater” board.

It’s the board in the middle. The Ronin sticker is covering up the Slate Design logo.

http://instagr.am/p/B0Hb1ZFn-7t/
I wonder how it goes. Looks like a sweet outline.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Maurice simply takes +/- .25 of the widepoint from the stringer.

I think it makes a lot of sense to do minor adjustments this or like The Lost Maysym tail (plus small channel toe side) or maybe just channels, thicker rail, bonzer, E-wing one side or even asym carbon wraps. There are seemingly endless potentially functional applications. I bet 20 year from now all these will have become commonplace place. Mayhem has a good point that asyms are best utilised for wider boards as super HP blades are so easy to turn already, I bet in 20 years most pros still on symmetrical hpsb.

Reactions: jkb

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
I wonder how it goes. Looks like a sweet outline.
Wade shaped me one when he first designed that model. I didn’t click with it but gave it a handful of surfs. With the round tail it felt a little positive. He asked me to bring it to the shop he wanted to ride it. When Yukiko called me to pick it back up he shaped me an MX to replace the Project. I was a little mad. I didn’t want him to remake me a board and he wouldn’t take payment for the new board. I left the lightly used Project for him to sell to cover some of the cost. I was going to try different fins but never bothered. All my friends love theirs. They use it as their groveler. Here’s a pic of mine.
5E65C69E-196E-4520-A939-4274A49A50F2.jpeg

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Wade shaped me one when he first designed that model. I didn’t click with it but gave it a handful of surfs. With the round tail it felt a little positive. He asked me to bring it to the shop he wanted to ride it. When Yukiko called me to pick it back up he shaped me an MX to replace the Project. I was a little mad. I didn’t want him to remake me a board and he wouldn’t take payment for the new board. I left the lightly used Project for him to sell to cover some of the cost. I was going to try different fins but never bothered. All my friends love theirs. They use it as their groveler. Here’s a pic of mine.
View attachment 98104
Sick airbrush! What is that, like a 5'8 or 5'9?
The outline looks good.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's amazing how conservative the pros are. I agree a lot of it is the judges (still) underscore an obviously short/wide/blunt-nosed board for aesthetics. The pro who seems to experiment the most- out of contests- is Steph Gilmore. Very stylish on a twin fish.
I believe a pre-FW Jimmy Slade came in during a heat he was losing in poor waves and switch to a borrowed Evo to ride one wave at the end of the heat. Conditions didn't offer much IIRC and it was more of an I'm-over-it-statement.
Stu Kennedy won a lot of heats one summer on a Vanguard during a couple QS contests at lowers and HB. He was ripping in junk surf and I think that brought a lot of attention to Tomos short wide MPH shapes at the time.
Josh Kerr looks like he's surfing better than ever on his Album twins and asyms.
I think the contest pros saw what happened when Kelly went off the reservation with his WS and other than going wider/shorter they all stayed with the same basic outline.

Kelly and Dane wanted to surf the Pod in contests but knew it would‘t get scores.

The most insane, incomprehensible, didn’t compute in my mortal mind surfing I’ve ever seen in person was Dane surfing chest to head high Rincon on a Pod. It simply made no sense. There are levels. What I saw Dane doing was on a level all by it self.

Anyway, agree 100% with you on Kerr, etc.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
I think the contest pros saw what happened when Kelly went off the reservation with his WS and other than going wider/shorter they all stayed with the same basic outline.

Kelly and Dane wanted to surf the Pod in contests but knew it would‘t get scores.

The most insane, incomprehensible, didn’t compute in my mortal mind surfing I’ve ever seen in person was Dane surfing chest to head high Rincon on a Pod. It simply made no sense. There are levels. What I saw Dane doing was on a level all by it self.

Anyway, agree 100% with you on Kerr, etc.
The Pod was one of the most rational C.I. boards made - no "Extra" anything

Dane rips way better on moderate rockered boards with template curve assisting that

Mar 12, 2014
Whilst I'm sure there's an element of being worried about being underscored by judges , the pro's themselves are also very conservative with their equipment choices (something that's repeated across many equipment heavy sports, like downhill mountain biking, etc).

The thing they value most is reliability & repeatability. They want to know that the board/bike/bat is going to do the same thing EVERY time. A small increase in performance in not worth chasing if it is only going to work properly 8 out of 10 times....

Reactions: oeste858