Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Yeah. I dig them. I think I still prefer the Surf Squared keels in my Banjo because they have more hold and drive. My Banjo is pretty short for my height. I think if it was a couple inches longer I'd probably like the more upright AMK's.
How you like those Surf Squared fins? In comparison to the Album Fascination fins?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
How you like those Surf Squared fins? In comparison to the Album Fascination fins?
They're quite different. Big keel feels. Much wider base than the Fascination fins. If you are looking for more drive and more drawn out turns compared to the Fascination's, they will do that.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
They're quite different. Big keel feels. Much wider base than the Fascination fins. If you are looking for more drive and more drawn out turns compared to the Fascination's, they will do that.
Thanks. I think that’s what im looking for.

Reactions: Aruka

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The squared surf fins are fiberglass and the fascination are G-10 epoxy. You can definitely feel the Squared surf fins flex a lot more than the Album fins. They also feel heavier. I dont think im going to like them in this board, but we'll see. I like the rake, but just a little too wide. We'll see how they feel in the water.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I am still hit or miss on the surf squared keels. I've been riding them more lately in my banjo and I often miss the extra pivot and looseness of the EN's I also ride.

Reactions: ReForest

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Math debater - where are your banjo boxes set, are they further back like Aruka’s?

deforest - I would try the Futurea AMK or McCallum keels from captain if I were you.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
For some reason the wide tip on the AMK makes me think they wont pivot very well. The McCallum fins look good. Might have to check those out in person.

Has anyone compared the K2 fins with the Surf squared or fascination fins? Maybe @Aruka has some feed back on the K2's?

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Interesting. I just ordered a new one so we went over the current version and he said it was pretty much his standard placement.

Reactions: sdsrfr