Scientific American makes first endorsement in 175yrs

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I really don't get people who say metric/Celsius is hard to understand.

What sense does it make to have a water freezing point of 32ºF and boiling of 212ºF? :unsure:

That's less confusing that having 0ºC and 100ºC ?

You prefer your board thickness to be 2 11/16" and not 68mm?

I understand that if you're born and raised on the imperial system, it's hard to change but sheesh.

The funniest excuse to stick to the imperial system I've heard is that "you can divide it by three".

Sick bro.

• Dislike
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois

What sense does it make to have a water freezing point of 32ºF and boiling of 212ºF? :unsure:

I understand that if you're born and raised on the imperial system, it's hard to change but sheesh.

The funniest excuse to stick to the imperial system I've heard is that "you can divide it by three".

Sick bro.
it’s because America wants to be more like Liberia and Myanmar.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Isn't that the formula old creepy guys use to figure out how young is too young?
Half your age plus seven is the formula for garden variety creeps. Smart people who want to simplify use 18 aka legal adult age in the US. The elite/captains of industry use what's known as "Epstein's Constant". I'm not sure if any reputable scientists have been in the lab to determine what the hard/fast value of this is, but my guess is, it's between 13 and 15.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No man, you use 0.15748/0.11811 inches in Santa Cruz and 0.11811/0.0787402 inches in LA.

It's easier.
Freedom Units > Surrender System.

I just got done surfing in 20" trunks in FL.

Novak Djokovic, Nikola Jokic, and every other Serb since Tesla famous for something other than "mining" Bosniak villages for organic fertilizer uses a 78' x 27' court with a net 3'6" at the post and 3" at the center, or a 94' x 50' court with a net 18" diameter, 10' off the ground, bolted to a 6' x 3 1/2' backboard, or a field 115 yards x 75 yards, with a net 8' high and 8 yards wide.

Americuhh-uuhh-uhhhhhh FUCK YEAH
Fighting for the American WAY-YEEE-YAY

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach

Sick bro.
It make sense that creeping up on 100 is hot as f--k, and closing in on 0 is cold. 29 is not warm. Maybe 29 is a lot of something in someplace with corrugated aluminum roofs where they all play povertyball with a starved orphan's severed head. 29 is dead ass last in Murka.

And for things like surfboards, yes, I like using fractions of an inch.

Nautical Miles/fathoms is great for knowing who is crew and who is ballast.

Furlongs is great for knowing if you'll need to tell someone "You see that mare the stallion is trying to mount? Go slap her on the ass and **** on the turf behind her; it'll be fun they said!"

Fully nuking!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
And the roads are in about the same condition as those in most of California.
If the roads in Liberia are like those in their next door neighbor Sierra Leone, well, I lived less than 80 miles from the coast and it took 3-1/2 hours on the main highway to get there. More during the rainy season. And when you there you were so fatigued from the drive you were at high risk for getting sick...and that was their equivalent of US 70. The coast? Better have a boat.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
And for things like surfboards, yes, I like using fractions of an inch.
What about the volume?

Cubic inches? :unsure:

Imperial gallons? :confused:

If you're math retarded like me, trying to figure out the difference between 2 5/8", 2 3/4" and 2 11/16" is impossible.

Shouldn't bigger number mean MOAR? :violin::drowning:

Last edited:
  • Dislike

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'm used to liters, especially "cubic liters", and for the all the derision that gets, it's 98% smarter/more scientific than the rest of surfing, so IDGAF.

Honestly other than trolling and feet and, to a far lesser extent, my fondness for fahrenheit, IDGAF.
You could use decaliters or centiliters, at least the explanation is in the name.

• Dislike

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I'm used to liters, especially "cubic liters", and for the all the derision that gets, it's 98% smarter/more scientific than the rest of surfing, so IDGAF.

Honestly other than trolling and feet and, to a far lesser extent, my fondness for fahrenheit, IDGAF.
When did formally recording the volume of a board even become a thing?

Yes yes I know I have been in a design coma for last several years but what happened to just grabbing the rail and determining from there?

As far as GAF, come on, I know you are aware that there are 28 grams in an ounce.