Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Do these have concaves or are you ordering them as flat bottoms?
Concaves. I love Gregs boards and they go insane....but I also like sushi but I don't eat it every night. These boards will have Gregs fins in them though.

Those are standard factory Ford rims. Exotic for sure but at the end of the day pretty simple standard rims. Now if I were to happen upon some Covid or FEMA money you bet I would head straight to the rim shop......and get in line.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Concaves. I love Gregs boards and they go insane....but I also like sushi but I don't eat it every night. These boards will have Gregs fins in them though.

Those are standard factory Ford rims. Exotic for sure but at the end of the day pretty simple standard rims. Now if I were to happen upon some Covid or FEMA money you bet I would head straight to the rim shop......and get in line.
What do concaves offer that make them appropriate for these boards then?

Reactions: sdsrfr

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
What do concaves offer that make them appropriate for these boards then?
Concaves are part of these boards designs. Outline, foil, rocker, template etc all tested and improved specific to these boards. Why do some boards have single, single to double, single to double to vee? There's no best way to shape a board. Every shaper has a specific feeling and reaction they are looking for...they go about it their way based on personal and customer/team rider feedback.

My personal opinion is the simplicity of the flat bottom is overlooked because it's going to take a lot of time to figure out release and flow using template rocker and area reduction...along with specific fins. I love them. I'm not saying its simple to figure out how to sand a concave into the perfect spot to increase drive ...but today, with pop outs and large production labels all doing things one way.. and the marketing behind it....a contrarian is going to have a hard time selling something that goes against the grain. How many full time shapers even have time to surf anymore much less go back to the drawing board. At the end of the day though shapers like Tim and others make magic boards consistently.

I've drug Tims boards with me all over the world and they've always worked like they were made with me in mind. He's that good. Theres a very short list of people I get boards from. I don't think it's appropriate to name them in this thread but one of the easiest things in the world for me to do is drive 1.5 hours each way to pick one up from Stamps.