The ad with the lifeless girl with her t*ts hanging out in the sidebar???

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Love posts when people complain about the weird ads brought on by their very specific browsing histories anticipating that everybody else gets the same things. :roflmao:

You don't get how ads work casa.
I do know how ads work.

That's why I'm wondering why I'm getting ads for suicide prevention from the US Department of Veterans Affairs?

Over the past week everything I've looked at online has been surf related. Not a veteran, not interested in suicide yet.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
I do know how ads work.

That's why I'm wondering why I'm getting ads for suicide prevention from the US Department of Veterans Affairs?

Over the past week everything I've looked at online has been surf related. Not a veteran, not interested in suicide yet.
No need to wonder.

If the US Department of Veteran Affairs only targeted their ads to known, cookied veterans, they'd miss a TON of their target audience. They therefore need to broaden the net to target users at risk of mental illness knowing that many of them could be vets as well or at least could use the same message. So the same behaviors that got you preyed upon by virtual communities for people who need the escape of a second life are the ones that identified you as a suicide risk.

You got CBD ads because you're into an active lifestyle.

You got camera ads because you're into travel.

Reactions: Aruka

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
No need to wonder.

If the US Department of Veteran Affairs only targeted their ads to known, cookied veterans, they'd miss a TON of their target audience. They therefore need to broaden the net to target users at risk of mental illness knowing that many of them could be vets as well or at least could use the same message. So the same behaviors that got you preyed upon by virtual communities for people who need the escape of a second life are the ones that identified you as a suicide risk.

You got camera ads because you're Into travel.
I don't like what you're implying about Dr. Peterson. Or his Ontario-Kermit voice. Or his teachings. Or the national treasure that is Casa Mowgli.

Stop being such a Bagheera, and Baloo a little bit.

• Haha
Reactions: bird.LA

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
No need to wonder.

You got camera ads because you're into travel.
So we've gone from my "very specific browsing history" to ads being targeted broadly.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So we've gone from my "very specific browsing history" to ads being targeted broadly.
Your very specific browsing history is what qualifies you for that. Unless your phone/laptop cam is recording you and you just have a corpse-with-t!ts-out-aficionado grill.

I mean what else do they have other than what the cookies tell them?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Your very specific browsing history is what qualifies you for that. Unless your phone/laptop cam is recording you and you just have a corpse-with-t!ts-out-aficionado grill.

I mean what else do they have other than what the cookies tell them?
The fact that visitors to this website are 99% male.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
LMAO do you think this is a gotcha?

Yes, the ads are broadly targeted to you because your online behavior suggests that you are definitely a male between the ages of 25 and 49 and that you could be quite lonely.

My ads are for appliances.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: Aruka and afoaf

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
IMO, it's linked to a "very specific browsing history".

Meaning, just being on the mental health thread there are a ton a keywords and links that would ping suicide prevention ads.

And if you go into the politics forum, or the flat earth thread, you are fair game to receive adds based on all the batshit crazy stuff people link to.

Also, you read tabloids online. (at least, you link to stories on tabloids) That will link you to all sorts of weird adds too

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
lifeless girl t!ts?

i see tons of girls with lifeless t!ts (fake)

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you get bucketed in to different cohorts

it's possible that the VA has identified some buckets as high value

it's not always a direct correlation, it can be multi-faceted

I think BlueKai or one of those apps used to have a way you could check
how you've been classified/bucketed on their site, but I could not find it

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
All I know is that I've had very unique stuff come up in my adds after reading threads on here mentioning or linking to something.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
you get bucketed in to different cohorts

it's possible that the VA has identified some buckets as high value

it's not always a direct correlation, it can be multi-faceted

I think BlueKai or one of those apps used to have a way you could check
how you've been classified/bucketed on their site, but I could not find it
How many chances did you have to use the word "ilk" in this post and you fucking goose-egged it?

• Haha
Reactions: daave and Boneroni