Tomo MPH

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Thanks again everyone! The honest feedback has been very helpful and it definitely made me think about this more throughly. I sort had an obvious (doh - right in front of your face) thought, I should just go down in dimensions with the hydroshort. I like the board, it has been suggested as a good starter by JDJ, and this will allow me to more accurately evaluate dimensions than getting a different board that surfs differently.

Should I go 5' 11" 33L or more gradual maybe 6' 0" 34.7L? Coming from a 6'2" 38.1L

can u go feel a couple up? tomos tend to get hung up in the lip when ridden too big/high volume. i saw 6’6 tomo vanguard crew at trestles who were getting pitched for this reason. stuck in the lip cult.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Agree with a Havoc. But watch this clip of Richard Kenvin on a bigger Tomo. Like Havoc said, try to put a few under your arm at a shop first and maybe get one used. There are usually used Evos and Cymatics floating around for sale.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
can u go feel a couple up? tomos tend to get hung up in the lip when ridden too big/high volume. i saw 6’6 tomo vanguard crew at trestles who were getting pitched for this reason. stuck in the lip cult.
@Havoc Was thinking about this in the water the other day... I know you make fun of the oversized Tomos as for kooks, but is a 6'6 Tomo really worse than all these 7' midlengths that are all over nowadays? I'd probably have more fun on a 7' Omni than the new CI mid. Honestly, the planing hull should scale up pretty well- maybe once you get past the awkward range of a few inches oversized (where I agree an Evo 3-4L too big gets hung up). For example, everyone on the Stamps thread thought the oversized WTF customs were sooo cool. Why would that be any different? It was intentional rather than mis-sized? Just the kooky "archers" on those Vaders you see at Lowers??

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
LOL. I guess I thought of Omni first with the round tail as most similar to a typical midlength outline. I think I also remember FW actually provided one to a Wired writer in SF as a learner board for an article- which I thought was odd at the time.
It was a bit tongue-in-cheek, since I know @Havoc hates FW on principle and that’s who he thinks of as the clueless typical FW buyer. So I just wondered if those same doods would be erBB-approved if flailing around Trestles on bigger Stamps WTF customs. ...Hypothetically, of course.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I'm going against the grain here but I personally do not think a Tomo is for any beginner. There's no doubt they're fast, but this turns into a crutch and beginners don't learn how to work rail.
Nailed it.

Reactions: waxfoot

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
@Havoc Was thinking about this in the water the other day... I know you make fun of the oversized Tomos as for kooks, but is a 6'6 Tomo really worse than all these 7' midlengths that are all over nowadays? I'd probably have more fun on a 7' Omni than the new CI mid. Honestly, the planing hull should scale up pretty well- maybe once you get past the awkward range of a few inches oversized (where I agree an Evo 3-4L too big gets hung up). For example, everyone on the Stamps thread thought the oversized WTF customs were sooo cool. Why would that be any different? It was intentional rather than mis-sized? Just the kooky "archers" on those Vaders you see at Lowers??
I've thought the same thing. Theoretically, the Tomo's are scaled almost identical to Simmons balsa planing hulls (only smaller) so it would make sense that Tomo's can be enlarged and still be very functional. I was thinking about picking up a 6'0 Evo or 5'10 Evo for the wife and maybe taking it out for a cruise myself and see how it goes.

Seeing RK ride that bigger sized Vader is inspiring and challenging. There is also footage of him riding some good sized Mexican tubes on what looks like a 6'0 Omni.

I think it boils down to following the feeling and seeing what works and what doesnt. Surfing has a long learning curve.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Well, in my thought experiment, I was thinking about it vs. a midlength, so really maybe at least a foot over your height. I know you're shorter, but not that small! Only a couple-few inches too big and you will experience that getting hung up in the lip, at times. Ask me how I know... LOL
RK is a solid dude, powerful surfer, and has been surfing his spot for 45+ years: he can ride anything out there. I think that Omni was 5'9- That's not oversized for him in those waves. It's same as mine, aka nose height on me and pretty ideally sized as I'm taller & lighter than RK.

Also, to get back from hypotheticals to reality... this XTR ElTomo kinda fell into my lap a few weeks ago. It was a stock board that was too big for the guy (he was about half a foot shorter than me) and basically what I would've ordered... Pretty perfect since I was deciding between that and the X-wing for my Oz custom. Stocked! Now I can compare the two Tomo grovelers. FWIW, the X-wing has much more foiled rails where the fish is much chunkier.
IMG_2882.jpeg

X-wing rocker shot for Deforest:
IMG_2883.jpeg
Similar to your "Reforest" model??

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
I've thought the same thing. Theoretically, the Tomo's are scaled almost identical to Simmons balsa planing hulls (only smaller) so it would make sense that Tomo's can be enlarged and still be very functional. I was thinking about picking up a 6'0 Evo or 5'10 Evo for the wife and maybe taking it out for a cruise myself and see how it goes.

Seeing RK ride that bigger sized Vader is inspiring and challenging. There is also footage of him riding some good sized Mexican tubes on what looks like a 6'0 Omni.

I think it boils down to following the feeling and seeing what works and what doesnt. Surfing has a long learning curve.
Do it, you'd be surprised!

The first tomo I tried was a gift for an intermediate friend, 5'10 evo (my evo now is 5'2). I tried it as a joke on a gutless day and it was amazing. My mate couldn't believe the turns I was making, tried it and was amazed too. And my intermediate friend has been loving it and progressing a lot.

Reactions: ANIMA

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth

1600819638912.png
HEAVY ARTILLERY
The Psykonaut range is a highly innovative take on big wave paddle in design. It has been conceptualized and perfected over the past 4 years to increase speed and projection in turns for large open faced waves.

It also can serve as a fun mid length design for smaller days for surfers looking to take the planning hull feel into a longer board to combat the crowds or for those who enjoy a cruiser surfing experience.

PLANNING HULL
Based on planning hull theory, it features a long straight rail line with a torpedo nose profile for safety and lowing change of nosedive plus wider tail block for speed. This achieves several benefits. 1. It allows the design to be ridden shorter while maintaining adequate volume, rail line and paddle. 2. Projection and drive through the turns. lowering drag to outrun big sections where a low area pin tail may slow the board down.

STEP RAIL / CONCAVE DECK
The highly innovative yet subtle step rail to single concave deck significantly helps reduce excessive volume in the rail which intern helps the rail engage strongly in the water, the subtle concave deck promotes further responsiveness on the board plus it helps with stability in paddling and take off.

VEE QUAD CONCAVE
A totally unique and highly innovative hull configuration. VQC help the board roll into turns effortlessly while providing excellent grip and acceleration once the rail is engaged. It also maintains a lively sensation where some traditional Vee bottoms will feel sluggish.

VARIETY OF TAIL SHAPES AND FIN CONFIGURATIONS
Choose between a traditional fish tail, or a variety of Low drag angular tails to suit your intended use or surfing style. Available in Twin- Keel, Quad , or Thruster.

HIGHLY CUSTOMIZABLE
Please consult us directly to discuss your ideal Psychonaut Configuration prior to purchase, or if you prefer to secure your place. Add the Psykonaut to Cart and Check out, we will be sure to confirm all the design options with you prior to construction.

Reactions: jkb and JDJ

ANIMA

Legend (inyourownmind)
Feb 11, 2020
Planet Earth
Kinda funny how we were just talking about riding an oversized Tomo as a midlength and Tomo releases a new design for big waves/ midlength.

"It also can serve as a fun mid length design for smaller days for surfers looking to take the planning hull feel into a longer board to combat the crowds or for those who enjoy a cruiser surfing experience."

The most interesting part to me is the vee bottom with a quad concave running through the middle! o_O

• Haha
Reactions: JDJ and sdsrfr