Official ....Lost custom order thread

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
My Driver 2.0 is single concave.

If there's any double it's imperceptible to me.

Todd and I chatted about this when I first got mine.

He said it's probably SITD version.
Matt on the SITD version:

"The concave would be moderately deep at most, with a semi-shallow double racing through the fins."

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
ordered a 5' 9" Hydra in C4 a little over a month ago in a groveler volume (40L) for my weight. It ships from FL.

Reactions: waxfoot

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@kool-aid didn't you just get a Pyzalien in Dark Arts as well? Curious to hear how it compares to the Subdriver 2.0 after you've given them each a solid go.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Here are some quick reviews for you guys... Starting with the Sub Driver 2.0

I think you’d be hard pressed to find an everyday shortboard that is more versatile than a Sub Driver. I’ve had a good time on them in 3 foot slop and I’ve found them to actually work in overhead Indo waves or anything in between. The last couple years I took a break from riding Losts in favor of my Pyzel quiver. But towards the end of last season I decided to bring out the good ‘ol driver to see what I was missing. It turns out I was missing quite a bit and that the Driver is a really nice fit between the Shadow and Radius and made for a nice reprise from the Pyzel’s highly composed feel with it’s more raw, aggressive approach.

When the 2.0 series came out I knew I’d be ordering some for this season and obviously the sub driver just arrived. The driver is still on the way. Fortunately the waves turned on a bit this last week which gave me a chance to get a few of my new boards in the water. From the very first wave I caught on the Sub Driver I was impressed. The board is seriously fast. LIke faster than any shortboard I can remember out of the gates fast. Maybe I’m familiar with the board but it just felt easy to surf right off the bat and totally clicked. Like every time I stood up I was in the exact right spot. It does all the things you’d hope a short board to do, goes fast, is loose, has a drivey, positive feel and is willing to do a cutback or go above the lip. Maybe my only complaint is that I found it to be a bit reluctant in tight spots but that might also just be a matter of getting used to it. I can definitely tell you that I’m excited for the driver to arrive.

Did I mention that it’s light speed construction? Yeah, I did. The light speed feels good. It’s not quite as light as carbon wrap but I think it’s definitely lighter than a standard PU. Not really sure how to explain the feeling, and I might just be making things up, but I found the light speed to feel a little bit more smooth and damp than a carbon wrap. I like carbon wraps but I felt like they had a tendency to be a little tweaky and unhappy in anything beside glass or light onshore. I feel like light speed is a little bit smoother and feels more like a PU in a good way.

The Rad Ripper I haven’t actually ridden but I ordered this custom because a stock Rad Ripper that I got last year was one of my favorite boards of the season. I found the stock 5’8 to be a tad small so I ordered a 5’9 in the same width and thickness to give it a little more length and volume which I thought would be a benefit at OB. I love the rad ripper, it’s seriously so much fun. It absolutely flies in 2 foot waves as long as there’s a little pulse behind it. But it also totally works when it starts to get square and shoulder to head high. These are pretty standard conditions for the inner bars here at OB so that makes it a pretty fun sled to have when the waves are fun, even good, but not big. From day one I threw a pair of large reactors on the board and it was so fast, loose and positive it just constantly kept a grin on my face when riding it. The custom came out great and looks absolutely insane.

For @Aruka, I did also just get a Pyzalien in Dark Arts. I’ve had a pyzalien before and I’ve had some boards from Dark Arts (aka Justin) so I was pretty excited to try it. Honestly, I’m not too stoked but I’m reserving judgement for now. The first time I rode it the waves were very weak and I put a pair of fiberglass fins it and the board just felt dead. Thinking that the fins probably weren’t a good fit, I pulled those out and got the board back out in some slightly better conditions. With some fun, but still not great waves on tap, I threw in a pair of Jack Freestone future speed generating fins and expected a much better experience. Just as bad, if not worse. The board would catch waves fairly well but as soon as I stood up it was like slamming on the breaks. Not really sure what’s going on but there are definitely a couple possible issues. One is that I really don’t have future fins wired. Two, is that in my experience Pyzels are fairly sensitive fins and prefer raked templates which I don’t have a lot of. Three, I had a pyzalien in the past and don’t remember loving it. Four, is that the Pyzalien is a more high performance board that it seems??? Five, the board is an outright dog. If that’s the case, it’s going to be a very expensive mistake so I’m really trying to make it work.

Last edited:

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Thanks for your hard work - writing and experimenting.

Fcuk, I'm sorry about your Pyzalien experience, and don't know what to say to make it better. I'll try, though.

My Pyz 1.0 is an incredible board with a huge range, and it's never felt dead to me. Fins? Whatever I have lying around - AM2s, Accelerators, FCS plastic crap, whatever. Mine's dinged up and looks ratty, but still feels pingy and fresh, somehow.

I've had a very similar experience to yours with a JS BlakBox3. I can NOT make it go, not matter what the waves or what fins or what mood I'm in. People love it, but Obviously I'm not people.

Glad you've rekindled your love affair with your old Lost Driver and new Sub 2.0. Sounds like an excellent small-wave HP.

Good luck, brother!

Reactions: sdsrfr and kool-aid

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
stoked you are digging the sub 2.0 @kool-aid. I really liked my old subdriver swallow tail but it's been kind of replaced by the Patterson Stok-ed. I'm not fully sure I love the Patterson but I feel more consistent on it. probably just the additional volume helps since I've put on a little weight.

sucks to hear about the Pyzalien. I've yet to ride one but in my experience with other Pyzel's they usually take more juice to come alive than cali shapers like Mayhem/Stamps. I've had best luck with balanced to more raked templates in his designs. DHD L's are pretty much my go to in my Ghost/Shadow. Liked the AM2 and Jordy's in my Phantom. would suck to spend more money on fins and have it still be a dud though if you're already pretty dialed with FCS2 fins.

If it was me I'd wait for a solid day before taking the Pyzalien out again. The swells we've been getting up here have been pretty weak lately so I've been sticking to the twin fin because the last time I took out a HPSB it just felt like too much work.

Sorry for the sidetrack!

Last edited:
Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
eager to hear about the OTR Rad ripper vs custom.

How much foam are you adding to the design compared to your sub driver?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
eager to hear about the OTR Rad ripper vs custom.

How much foam are you adding to the design compared to your sub driver?
Will let you know as soon as I get a chance to ride it.

The sub driver I ordered as a 5'11 x 19.25 x 2.38 and the volume is 28.9L which makes it quite a bit smaller than any of my other boards. This is basically a full liter to 1.5L less than what I usually ride which I was pretty worried about but it seems to work better than expected. It's only slightly less volume than the stock dims.

The Rad Ripper I ordered as a 5'9 x 19.5 x 2.35 which comes out to 29.7 Liters and is just .5L more volume than the stock 5'8. Because the rails are already very full for a board that is 2.35 thick, I was very hesitant to go any thicker. So these boards are pretty close in volume. They're quite a bit thinner than what I'm used to but it's kind of nice to have boards in these size ranges as well.

Reactions: sdsrfr

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Seems like it's good to just order from a local shaper. First of all, the board has been tested in local waves. You can bet a Roberts will work in all the waves in N LA and Ventura and SB counties. Second, the shaper or one of his team riders can see you surf and tell you whether you are the problem or the board.

I saw Robert Weimer out in the lineup when I was riding a White Diamond that didn't have enough volume. He offered to exchange it for a bigger one. I ended up buying a couple of Tomos later but I should've just stuck with the local guy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
casa any picz?
2 Driver Boar:

Also I am pretty sure some of the EPS stuff comes from overseas. Not every EPS board has a Handmade in California or Old City Custom Epoxies lams? In particular I think there are some overseas Cabron Warp and possibly some of Dean's tech for certain model/dim runs? Could be mistaken.

C'mon Moogsies get a couple fun ones and post a review. You owe the erBB. Give it the Jordy Stab In The Dark treatment. Or give it the Dane Electro Surfboard Acid Test treatment. Mis-time a couple top turns leashless, then float in the trough while the wash bounces the brand new board among the rocks.

We haven't had a good Biolos chewout since that guy wasn't into the skateboards. We desperately need one methinks.