Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I probably asked this before somewhere on this thread but what are the differences between the Shadow and the Grinder X other than the winged swallow?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I probably asked this before somewhere on this thread but what are the differences between the Shadow and the Grinder X other than the winged swallow?
Shadow has less tail rocker and the double concave turns to vee behind rear fin. Shadow nose is wider. Similar tail widths (both of my 6'2"s are right around 15"). Shadow may also have a little more thickness in the nose. It's hard to be sure. My Shadow is 2 1/2" vs GX which is 2 3/8" so it could just be that factor but to me it looks like the GX is pretty bladed out up front compared to the Shadow.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Thanks guys. For boxes...how far back off stock would you ask them to be moved?
I wouldn’t move them till you knew what you wanted to change and why.

tons of different futures keel fins out there and the trailing edge moves. unless you know what fins you will want it will potentially backfire on you. For your first, get it how tim intends.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Figured I'd post a Fuse update. Waves have been so crappy that it's even taken me weeks to get a good feel for a small wave boar.

Fuse was tweaked into the SBD model. Original: 5'9" 20.5" 2.56

Liked the board (blue) but I felt like the nose got in the way of itself a little too often in the conditions I surf. My crappy beachbreaks can be kind of dumpy.

Tim has always steered me away from changing dims unless absolutely necessary and he suggested the same for this. He brought the nose in slighty and pulled up nose rocker a tad while keeping same general entry. He hid some foam to make up for slight volume loss. I can feel the thickness but still has the sensitive non bloaty stamps rails I love.

Board doesn't catch as much and feels more like a shortboard while still maintaining its small wave attributes. Took off on a chest high wave yesterday (upper end for the board) and got hung up. Put the hands on the rails and gave her a good push and that shoved me into the late takeoff. The slight pull in was noticeable and I was able to knife into the steep face better than my blue board did. Then it was off to the races. She's a keeper. This is why I love customs with personal interaction. He's really easy to work with.
fuse sbd.jpg

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
why? ive been pu/pe for 40yrs so I am hesitant to try anything new. feel like I missing out though when I hear that.
I would ease into it like I did. His 4/4 stringered eps epoxy doesn't have the chatter but is significantly lighter, snappy, and has a nice lively flex. board feels alive.

with that being said, I still prefer poly in waves over chest high, no doubt.