Hipster Du Learns to Shed Tiger on a Trusty

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I really liked this clip. Great idea to take one of the most well known alt-board riders and put him on the top high performance thrusters. Really interesting.

BTW Harrison Roach is one of the best surfers in the world. Just watch the movie “South to Sian.“

Last edited:

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I was just about to post this video. Beat me to it.

Malcolm made a few shorter boards for JT back when he was younger. He's getting a bit long in the tooth now. I used to joke that he was moving into the 70's with his boards and I wondered what decade he would discover the 80's in.

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017

Malcolm made a few shorter boards for JT back when he was younger. He's getting a bit long in the tooth now. I used to joke that he was moving into the 70's with his boards and I wondered what decade he would discover the 80's in.
Haha. I've always enjoyed that footage of him on the shorter egg at pipe, and that yellow bumblebee(?)

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Joel is in his mid 40's and won his first world title 20 years ago. He's all about economy of movement. He'll throw some carves and thread some tubes, but I don't think he has any interest in blowing tail. He posted a pic of him doing some little backhand snaps the other day on an egg.

Harrison is an incredible surfer in the prime of his abilities.

Reactions: Aruka and JDJ

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Joel is in his mid 40's and won his first world title 20 years ago. He's all about economy of movement. He'll throw some carves and thread some tubes, but I don't think he has any interest in blowing tail. He posted a pic of him doing some little backhand snaps the other day on an egg.

Harrison is an incredible surfer in the prime of his abilities.
I saw Joel surf pumping San Miguel on a short board 20 years ago. He was one of the standouts that day.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Years back, there was a certain B level magazine pro I knew that for whatever reason wound up in the water on a longboard. I was killing myself laughing at him. He took it well. It was seriously pathetic. But funny. The failures to turn were epic. As was the cross stepping. I mean shuffling. Really, really awkward shuffling.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
”Hey, wow, first time on a thruster and I can do a backside air reverse. What are the chances?”

I view this more as: we have a pro who obviously has ridden thrusters, but is he any good or is he riding alt boards only because he lacks the skills of other pros. Harrison answered that question pretty decisively. Guy was ripping. And you have to imagine the shred would increase exponentially if he rode those hpsbs exclusively over a few months.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Years back, there was a certain B level magazine pro I knew that for whatever reason wound up in the water on a longboard. I was killing myself laughing at him. He took it well. It was seriously pathetic. But funny. The failures to turn were epic. As was the cross stepping. I mean shuffling. Really, really awkward shuffling.
Thats funny! I was just thinking how much better harrison is riding HPSB than the HPSB rippers look riding all the mid lengths CI have been feeding them. Even though it is obvious Harrison was excellent at shortboarding before he went retro, it's kind of counterintuitive as it would seem like the high profile rippers would make simple equipment look simple but they actually make it look harder and harder to look at!

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Thats funny! I was just thinking how much better harrison is riding HPSB than the HPSB rippers look riding all the mid lengths CI have been feeding them. Even though it is obvious Harrison was excellent at shortboarding before he went retro, it's kind of counterintuitive as it would seem like the high profile rippers would make simple equipment look simple but they actually make it look harder and harder to look at!
Easier to go from shitty boards to good ones, than the other way around.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site

This was probably around the time R-Dot was running the Anything but 3 contests. At that time I'd surf lowers a couple of times a week if there was swell. Saw JT out on a short Bonzer 5 most likely getting ready for the contests. His surfing was good but not great. Taylor Knox and Pat O'Connell were also out and made JTs surfing look pedestrian.
I agree with the economy of movement comment made above. He has never been about shredding and always about cruising with style. His kids seem to be following in his footsteps.