Master shapers to buy a board while you can list...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I'm pretty sure that a Maurice Cole step up of some description is in my future, been debating whether to get a Protow or not.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Wow...no one mentioned a balsa Pat Curren gun as their choice yet?! That’d be my first pick

Last edited:
Reactions: chilly1

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
There are a few shapers that arguably were very influential re design that frankly, just aren't all that good re the basics of shaping. The concept is there, but so are the dips, bumps, uneven rails etc. And sometimes being an influential shaper is just being at the right place at the right time and connecting with the right surfer. The same design a few years earlier (or later) or under the feet of a different surfer... arguably nothing.

And all of that is nothing more than my opinion and I am an eminently qualified nobody. So none of the above means anything. It's only surfboards.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Wow...no one mentioned a balsa Pat Curren gun as their choice yet?! That’d be my first pick
I thought about it. But he's arguably in very poor health. May have waited too long on that one.

How about Jim "the genius" Phillips?

I don't really know anything about him. The self billing seems a bit much for my tastes, but that and two bucks will get you a cup of coffee.

Tomay

OTF status
Feb 2, 2010
Mitchell Rae Outer Island - Balsa Mal (with no wax deck) and Indo Gun

• Love
Reactions: Maz