A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Is there a season in FLA like west coast? We have to hand grab them.
I think yesterday's AM storm sent the reef fish to deeper water. Dove four hours and saw zero cabs, lings, etc, but there were tons of bat rays, (like 100 in a 1/3 mile stretch) a few guitar fish, and an unusually high number of angel sharks made it sorta sucky. One 28" halibut.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Is there a season in FLA like west coast? We have to hand grab them.
I think yesterday's AM storm sent the reef fish to deeper water. Dove four hours and saw zero cabs, lings, etc, but there were tons of bat rays, (like 100 in a 1/3 mile stretch) a few guitar fish, and an unusually high number of angel sharks made it sorta sucky. One 28" halibut.
Yeah there's a two-day sport season typically at the end of July, then recreational and commercial opens up like a week ago and closes at the end of March.

There are a fair bit of harvesting regulations, like no spearing, I don't think you can snorkel with a certain kind of net, you can't use a mop to tangle the lobster up...

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Keen, school me up on Black Marlin, is the fishery in Baja fcuked?
For me it's akin to shooting an African Lion or any other big game trophy for that matter. It's just an ego thing and as for Marlin I just hate to see them intentionally killed as a trophy. It just isn't necessary especially since they are such a magnificent fish. There are plenty of other better eating fish.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
slightly on topic, here is an article that gives context for the current protests in Russia, they started in the city where we (the group of derelicts I was with) based our fish business

there are some decent photos of the small outboard boats the fishermen there use, they'd catch huge sturgeon (like 10-12 feet long) in nets and haul them into those boats -typically while very drunk - and bring them to us for processing. This would be akin to pounding at least a case of beer with your buddy, then lassoing a horse and dragging it into the bed of your pickup.

tldr: Moscow (which is 8 time zones to the west) gave fishing rights to some dickbag company that strung fixed nets across the river mouth, thus monkeyhammering the salmon run into oblivion and depriving upstream communities of salmon.

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
Holy sh#t! Tyee! Is it just the angle? Looks 40+ ?
I suck at guessing weight of normal shaped salmon - this freakshow fatty of a buck is anyone's guess. He was 39" for whatever that's worth. Tyee for shore tho.

We've been seeing legendary bait balls and resultant heavy bellied salmon this fall. Cool to have some good news re: salmon

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
We only put in minimal effort (2 traps, 1 pull) and got 6 keepers (2 Jurassics).
You are such a slut.

Still no fish being caught here... the rivers are pumping chocolate water and lots of bottom rearranging with several days in a row of short period swell and howling onshore wind.
E07B889E-2359-4D3B-9B38-829D9559DA7D.jpeg
The beach at Mapache’s (ex) local.