Hip flexor injury?

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
The front/side of my hip has been giving me a lot of trouble recently. I'm 37.

I first hurt it earlier this year, but the pain wasn't too bad so I ignored it and kept surfing, running, and going to the gym. Not smart. I assumed it was a hip flexor strain. The pain became quite intense so I took about a 4 month break from physical activity, which coincided with lockdown.

I started hiking, light running, and surfing again in the past month, but the hip pain seems to have started again. Is it possible that there is another underlying hip issue, and that it wasn't a hip flexor strain?

Asking here because I don't have great health insurance.

Thanks for any input.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Could be something wrong or maybe not. Try not running or hiking....both can irritate a soft tissue injury on the hip. Absent some traumatic injury you are a bit young for a osteoarthritis or overuse joint damage...unless you have some high level sport background.

If it's a soft tissue injury take it easy and add activity as pain allows. You don't want to just rest....activity is an important part of healing. Some soft tissue strains or things like tendonitis can take weeks to months to heal. Stay on your feet, surf when able and SLOWLY add things like walks, air squats and other low impact activities.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
The front/side of my hip has been giving me a lot of trouble recently. I'm 37.

I first hurt it earlier this year, but the pain wasn't too bad so I ignored it and kept surfing, running, and going to the gym. Not smart. I assumed it was a hip flexor strain. The pain became quite intense so I took about a 4 month break from physical activity, which coincided with lockdown.

I started hiking, light running, and surfing again in the past month, but the hip pain seems to have started again. Is it possible that there is another underlying hip issue, and that it wasn't a hip flexor strain?

Asking here because I don't have great health insurance.

Thanks for any input.
I had that. Really painfully at it's worst. Lasted for months. Finally got a cortisone shot. That helped a bit. Yoga pigeon pose helped tons. Modified by instead of the from knee staying in front, cross the left knee to the right, and visa versa

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I had similar, but with more referred pain behind my hip and groin. It all came on while I was rehabbing a knee injury on the opposite leg, eventually became unbearable. FAI(impingement) torn labrum and a lot of cartilage had been worn away, sports hernia added on for extra fun. Arthroscopic surgery, shaved down the impingement and repaired the labrum. It's not as good as new but I still have my real hip, which is cool. This was in my early 30s. Took a while to actually start playing proper sports again but was on a longboard in small stuff about 3 months out

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
Thanks for all the input. I think I will take all the advice here!

1. Ease off the running and hiking
2. Actually learn a yoga, I've always wanted to do so
3. Get an xray.

bigglesworth

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 8, 2017
I had that. Really painfully at it's worst. Lasted for months. Finally got a cortisone shot. That helped a bit. Yoga pigeon pose helped tons. Modified by instead of the from knee staying in front, cross the left knee to the right, and visa versa
Could you give a video example of this pose? There seems to be a lot out there and I don't want to do the wrong one.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Thanks for all the input. I think I will take all the advice here!

1. Ease off the running and hiking
2. Actually learn a yoga, I've always wanted to do so
3. Get an xray.
Skip the yoga for now.

Get the xray and the PT eval.

Whether this is something fixed by targeted strengthening exercises or surgery you're obviously going to be dealing with it until you find out what's causing it and correct the problem.

Then yoga.

Reactions: sdsrfr

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I would lean towards not pulling on an injured joint to some subjective measure of enough. The one thing 100% of the medical community agrees on is static stretching does nothing physically useful for injury prevention, rehab, or recovery.

Reactions: Chocki and Autoprax

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What did the x-ray show?

What exesisizxes?

Do you include psoas as a hip flexor?

I still have pain in the hip flexor region/psoas after my back surgery. I initially thought it was hip flexor, but it's just referred and part of the back issue.

And then what I do is to slowly repeat th move, each time crossing the front knee across the body. It really stretches out behind the hip joint
remember to protect your knee by pulling your toes back. I ripped my meniscus trying to go too hard on a similar exercise.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I still have pain in the hip flexor region/psoas after my back surgery. I initially thought it was hip flexor, but it's just referred and part of the back issue.

remember to protect your knee by pulling your toes back. I ripped my meniscus trying to go too hard on a similar exercise.
Have you tried soft tissue work on the psoas?

My toes are paralyzed.

I wreaks havoc up the chain.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Have you tried soft tissue work on the psoas?

My toes are paralyzed.

I wreaks havoc up the chain.

I have not. kind of a hard place to get to.
I'm heading into the physical therapist/trainer's office for the first time since surgery. Not sure what we will do other than use the gym

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I have not. kind of a hard place to get to.
I'm heading into the physical therapist/trainer's office for the first time since surgery. Not sure what we will do other than use the gym

Some people don't respond to soft tissue work.

But you don't know until you try.

It's low risk low cost experimentation which is the key to innovation.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Or it's not. LOL

Talked to an orthopedist yesterday who is ready to schedule me for surgery on my hip. I finally got in to see my PT in person a few weeks back. After doing a quick ROM test on my hips, he suggested I get an XRAY just to rule out misdiagnosing a hip issue as referred pain from my back surgery. The Xray confirmed that there is some break down of cartilage/ragged bony growth/arthritis in the hip joint and the head of the femur has deformed enough to merit potential surgery. I'm getting an MRI on Friday which will likely confirm some labrum tears as well.

We'll see. PT has been going really well. The more I move and work out, the better my hip and back feel. To the point where I almost feel able to get in the water. But the hip is achey and annoying. Combined with the pain in the back of my leg, it's still impossible to run or jump.

Almost exactly like surfadelphia..

I had similar, but with more referred pain behind my hip and groin. It all came on while I was rehabbing a knee injury on the opposite leg, eventually became unbearable. FAI(impingement) torn labrum and a lot of cartilage had been worn away, sports hernia added on for extra fun. Arthroscopic surgery, shaved down the impingement and repaired the labrum. It's not as good as new but I still have my real hip, which is cool. This was in my early 30s. Took a while to actually start playing proper sports again but was on a longboard in small stuff about 3 months out

More or less, this

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I have had recurring pain in my hip area for over a year. Talked with a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip replacement. He said mine is not the hip. Try doing stretches for Sciatica.

When I do the stretches, especially before and after a surf, I am pain-free. If I don't the pain returns.

Reactions: gbg and sdsrfr

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I have had recurring pain in my hip area for over a year. Talked with a friend who is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in hip replacement. He said mine is not the hip. Try doing stretches for Sciatica.

When I do the stretches, especially before and after a surf, I am pain-free. If I don't the pain returns.

Indeed. This is what I am in the process of figuring out.