Creepiest surf spots

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Lil Makaha all alone. Not that big, lots of weird swirls. Gut-level, I'm-being-watched spooky.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Barbers Point right next to the luau spot. Homeless, smeltery(?) going full force, horrible stench in the air, just desolation. Waves were about chest high or so and breaking around the point and out to sea. No one in water. Sharky vibe. Combined with everything, man, just creepy and did not paddle out. So I guess you could say that's a creepy from land spot. So much so, just bailed the entire area even though we were actually looking for another spot in the area, which I probably shouldn't name (err on side of caution).

The beachbreak/rivermouth right point around the corner from Tivives in Costa Rica. Waves were good. Did paddle out. Water so murky, couldn't even see my knees. Horrible vibes to the point it was making me nauseous. After a handful of waves, paddled in. As did my friend, who had same vibes. I have zero doubt there were things beneath circling me that I would rather not. Talking to locals later, apparently quite a sharky spot. Oops.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Duppies in Barbados. Always been spooked at that place.

Leftovers in NS. Never been comfortable there.
Yep -- spook factor 12. Took a long right, was in blue water no man's land wondering when I was gonna get hit. Whole NS is kinda shark-vibey IMO

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
There’s a mediocre spot in Gaviota where you might find some dudes sucking each other’s dicks.

That can be pretty creepy.

HatterasGlass

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2008
I mentioned shipsterns being creepy from land. The sharks vibe, the nothing between you and Antarctica, the notoriety of that stretch of water and the immensity and dramatic tone of the coastline gives a feeling unlike anywhere else I’ve been.
Agreed. Surfed / stayed in and around the Port Arthur area for a few weeks and it felt like something out of a Jules Verne novel. Except with the heaviness of a hardcore remote prison and the massacre that took place, ironically, 20 years ago today.

I walked solo from the hotel to the historical site one night at sunset and got caught by nightfall.
Walked back about a mile in the dark - no flashlight - through the woods and along the shore across from the Isle of the Dead.

I was fully stoked and spooked. Van Diemen's land is awesome.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Crouching Lion.

Channel looks like 100 feet deep and there's that aggressive seal that likes to jump out of the water any time I'm in that channel.
Been surfing there a lot lately, I lived in Kaaawa for years. I've seen so much crazy sh!t out there. Few weeks ago it was a massive bait ball being tagged by a couple of reef sharks 50 yards outside the lineup. No one went in.

I paddled out to surf this peak in Invernesse out on Pt. Reyes when we were visiting my wife's family once. When I came in a local fisherman said "I figured I'd be reading about you in the news."

• Wow
Reactions: ghostshaper

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
In the 70's, POP after the burns and the roller coaster collapsed into the water. Lost a board in that mess, didn't bother trying to go in after it.
Boat House VAFB, surfed it once, caught 2 waves and high-tailed back to the boat. Way too sharkey for my likes.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Big Sur. Never surfed it. But, the whole place was creepy when you looked at the ocean. Just had the feeling that there were big tax collectors in the water. No one around for miles and no cell service. No thanks.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Agreed. Surfed / stayed in and around the Port Arthur area for a few weeks and it felt like something out of a Jules Verne novel. Except with the heaviness of a hardcore remote prison and the massacre that took place, ironically, 20 years ago today.

I walked solo from the hotel to the historical site one night at sunset and got caught by nightfall.
Walked back about a mile in the dark - no flashlight - through the woods and along the shore across from the Isle of the Dead.

I was fully stoked and spooked. Van Diemen's land is awesome.

I miss the place quite a bit.

A spooky story I had heard was a wave not to far from port Arthur that turns into a submerged island as the tide rises. It’s walkable at low tide but requires paddling at the higher tides. A few surfers apparently got stranded on the submerged island as a white shark was circling them and the tide still rising leaving them nowhere to go. I can’t remember if it eventually left or if they had to wait for the tide to drop.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Big Sur. Never surfed it. But, the whole place was creepy when you looked at the ocean. Just had the feeling that there were big tax collectors in the water. No one around for miles and no cell service. No thanks.
Not nearly as sharky as it looks. Go diving and you'll see. What could possibly be down there.

Reactions: rice

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
Salmon Creek, Sonoma County gives me the heebies a bit
Scott's Creek, Santa Cruz, where I actually had a large white come straight at us, very fast
Couple of reefs around here if I find myself out alone

Overall, all the sightings and encounters the past few years around here have made me pretty jaded on the shark thing.

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Salinas River Mouth sketched me out the few times I surfed there and the shore pound in front of the old Ft. Ord O-Club that tries to kill you when you try to get out of the water used to freak me out. Pomponio St. Bch. always sketched me out as well. Voodoo Bay or whatever they call the right north of the Armaria river mouth after a big rain was always scary too.

i_ride_spinnaz

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 19, 2020
surf beach, waddell creek, waddell reefs, greyhound rock, laguna creek, scott creek when its big. I lived in SC for a while and would spend a lot of time surfing N of town either solo or with one friend. Waddell reefs always freaked me out. When you're sitting on the outside corner you can just tell the reef drops off almost instantly right past where you're sitting. Super fun wave though. Surf Beach also freaked me the fugg out. Felt like food out there.

And Tunnels on Kauai. Big reef drop offs out there.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
everything south of OBSD and North of Zuma

interesting how people are only talking about spots that are creepy in the water

what about the spots that are creepy on land....

walking from ogro's to the surf in the dark always gives me the heebie jeebies
Big Zuma freaked me out after a girl broke her kneck and paralized herself there

Reactions: ZZ Soft Top