XTR

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
ya keep in mind an $800 product regardless of margin is still an $800 product to the consumer. anyways this is good to know. i'd do a qc look over before i'd pay balance on a new board and reject if st is off.
That's tough if you don't live near Oceanside and want a name brand board :-/.

Obviously you can go local and there are quality shapers near most places with surf, but as racer said the good ones charge $600+ for PU and that's tough for me at least to justify. The most environmentally friendly board is the one that lasts the longest after all.

Reactions: Havoc

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Good shapers charge $600+ for PU?

the shapers not listing their prices are charging less. :waving:
Lol for sure. The "name" shapers around here like Rozbern (rightly) charge that. I've got a homie/lifelong backyard shaper who will make me boars for $300 but they only last a year. I'm not connected enough to know about the people in the middle!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
ya keep in mind an $800 product regardless of margin is still an $800 product to the consumer. anyways this is good to know. i'd do a qc look over before i'd pay balance on a new board and reject if st is off.
I'd already paid the full amount and did not go over the board looking for issues. I think I was in a purple induced haze and then Javier started talking to me about swell and the vent holes and I was just excited thinking about trying the board the next morning. I still can't believe I missed the issues for so long, especially the glaring fin plug problem had to be pointed out by the Pyzel guys. I think I was determined to make the board work and was only concentrating on trying every potential fin set/configuration I have and didn't consider there may be an actual issue(s).

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
you showed good faith through the business dealing. talk directly with javier and tell him you want a replacement. Their shotty parking lot fux was again your good faith business dealing.

i suspect you could still go to the credit card company and see if they wanted to get involved.

I hate bad business owners. Sometimes you wear one on the chin and get extra customers coming in due to word of mouth. youve given a quality review of your experience. Even Yelp wouldn’t let the business take this one down.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I'd already paid the full amount and did not go over the board looking for issues. I think I was in a purple induced haze and then Javier started talking to me about swell and the vent holes and I was just excited thinking about trying the board the next morning. I still can't believe I missed the issues for so long, especially the glaring fin plug problem had to be pointed out by the Pyzel guys. I think I was determined to make the board work and was only concentrating on trying every potential fin set/configuration I have and didn't consider there may be an actual issue(s).

i did the same on a board that ended up having the fin 1/4-3/8” pushed jn toward the stringer. got a new board for the issue. too bad bc liked the board unless that fin was pressured lol

Reactions: sdsrfr

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I actually brought the board by your O'side location first to make sure I wasn't seeing things and TJ and the boys agreed the QC wasn't up to snuff. The XTR guys tried to make it better by adding some UV cure resin to smooth things out, but it still looks/feels off to me and I had to get back to the South Bay. They (XTR) managed to put a nice scuff on the black rail up by the nose when laying it on the concrete to cure the resin, so that added insult to injury. Neither Javier or Shey were there. The guy that helped (another Javi) was super nice, so I bit my tongue when he handed it back to me showing me there was now a straight(er) hard edge, but didn't address the weird rail contour. I'm not about to commit another three+ hours of my time, so I'm not sure where to go from here.
HI -- That all sounds pretty terrible to me! The weird thing for us is the way we have it set up, business wise, with XTR is that they control everything except the actual shaping of the board. That means that whoever gets an XTR is dealing with them on the construction end of things and unfortunately that is not always going the way we'd like. But... no matter what we stand behind our boards and I would like to make sure you end up happy with what you get. I don't know the exact solution here, but TJ can help. If you could call him at the factory and explain what I said here then we can try to sort out a good solution to the problem. 760 453 2136 is the number there. Again, I am really sorry about this situation --JP

Pyzelsurfboards

OTF status
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Where are the pupe Astro pops made? Just watched noa deane on one in electric eel board test and he was flying. Interesting dims too. Looked like the ap xl dims.
We have our factory in O'side where we make most of our boards for the mainland US. Everything is done in-house - cutting, shaping, airbrush and glassing, so all the boards are consistently top quality. My crew there is amazing!

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
HI -- That all sounds pretty terrible to me! The weird thing for us is the way we have it set up, business wise, with XTR is that they control everything except the actual shaping of the board. That means that whoever gets an XTR is dealing with them on the construction end of things and unfortunately that is not always going the way we'd like. But... no matter what we stand behind our boards and I would like to make sure you end up happy with what you get. I don't know the exact solution here, but TJ can help. If you could call him at the factory and explain what I said here then we can try to sort out a good solution to the problem. 760 453 2136 is the number there. Again, I am really sorry about this situation --JP
Thanks Jon! I'm confident that XTR will make things right. I haven't heard back from XTR yet, but if for some reason there is an impasse, I'll reach back out to TJ.

Reactions: ehiunno

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Good shapers charge $600+ for PU?

the shapers not listing their prices are charging less. :waving:
I was speaking about shapers available through XTR to make a direct comparison (e.g. Pyzel, Sharp Eye, Rusty, Roberts, Mayhem, Patterson, Album, Merrick, Proctor, etc all charge $600 plus but you can get an XTR from them for $700-800).

Reactions: ehiunno and sdsrfr

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
I was speaking about shapers available through XTR to make a direct comparison (e.g. Pyzel, Sharp Eye, Rusty, Roberts, Mayhem, Patterson, Album, Merrick, Proctor, etc all charge $600 plus but you can get an XTR from them for $700-800).
Yeah totally I just was trying to point out that well-known local shapers all around the country charge a similar price. No doubt there are tons of other good shapers around, some charging a lot less than $600. Honestly with the cost of materials and amount of labor involved it seems like it would be hard to make a living charging all that much less.

Reactions: racer1

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I don't mind paying 700-800 for a high-quality, built to my specs, domestic made surfboard, and solid customer service from a shaper (i.e., Pyzel's responses on this thread). It also makes me invest more surf time/care in a board over maybe something secondhand I got off Craigs' or Offerup. I'm in SD, and in the last 6 months I've gotten customs locally from Rusty, Super, and XTR, got to email back and forth to tweak them, picked em up in person at their respective factories, and I couldn't be happier with how all of them turned out.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Not knocking you, because it seems like you are politely working to remedy your problem.....BUT, IMO, You’re lucky shapers still ghost this place. Looking from a shapers view, To hear of a customers board problems second hand via Erbb kinda sucks. They have phones. Call them.
Board makers are already up against bs opinions of how their boards work/built via internet and parking lot banter, high competition, increased regulations, covid, etc. the last thing they need are rumors because of a customers distaste, which may have increased because they rode the board multiple times, only to finally look it over after people in the know see some blemishes, and decide it really doesn’t work that well after all.
I don’t know, I’d say your pretty lucky to have Jon reply on a public forum and take ownership. Looking forward to a very positive review of your experience once it is taken care of.
my .02c out

Reactions: JDJ