Mexico/Central America retirement

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Probably an old thread on this, and I know a few live down south, but anyone retired, or planning on retiring down in Mex or Central America? Thoughts? Besides the dying of course...

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Several non-surfer friends who have recently become keen to the idea of moving to another country for retirement. People who I never imagined would EVER consider moving out of this country. The fact they are considering it tells me just how bad things look right now.

For central america, time to buy in Costa Rica was the 80's and 90's. Now, it's super crowded and expensive. Nica is better imho, for now but developers are also eyeing Nica the last 15yrs and now it's starting to become more expensive and crowded too.

Have another friend and his wife considering Ecuador retirement and doing an exploratory trip soon as this Covid goes away.

Have another friend considering a move to Europe, either France, Spain, or Greece for retirement.

Mexico I would never consider. That place is outta control.

Best to do exploratory trips. You'll figure out quickly which places are doable and which arent. I am considering retirement in Chile, or perhaps Peru or Ecuador.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Colorado is still surprisingly affordable if you know where to look.
I did a stint in CR for several years a long time ago, it was a blast. Now I’m too old and lazy to deal with the extra bullshit that comes with living abroad.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Several non-surfer friends who have recently become keen to the idea of moving to another country for retirement. People who I never imagined would EVER consider moving out of this country. The fact they are considering it tells me just how bad things look right now.
Tells me they didn't prepare. They're gonna sell the homestead to make up for the lack pf preparedness and make the jump.

Or I'm still feeling a little bitchy because I decided to cut way back on my coffee intake last week...at least the withdrawal headaches now just feel like I've been smoking 2nd hand smoke in bars/clubs all night, no wait, that is just the smoke from the fires. Such a red sunset last night and red/orange sunrise this morning, and even now, smells like I'm downwind from a campfire.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Tells me they didn't prepare. They're gonna sell the homestead to make up for the lack pf preparedness and make the jump
the friends who are considering moving abroad are all well off, with 7 figures in the bank for retirement.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
They shouldn't have any problem staying in the USA then.

What do they think they'll gain by moving somewhere else, besides the belief that they'll be saving money to pass along when they're dead?

PS
Was basing previous statement on a few other people I know who are looking to retire to Nicaragua because they have very little $ but comparatively speaking are land/house rich.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

What do they think they'll gain by moving somewhere else, besides the belief that they'll be saving money to pass along when they're dead?

PS
Was basing previous statement on a few other people I know who are looking to retire to Nicaragua because they have very little $ but comparatively speaking are land/house rich.
I’m guessing the response might belong in the politics forum

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria

PS
None of them are moving to save money. They are just fed up with politics and direction this country is going and ready for a change.

Personally, I wouldn't mind living in Iceland for the summer, and somewhere along the meditteranean for the rest of the year. I'll be done with surfing by the time I'm 55 and be ready to seek out new adventures.

Reactions: 2surf

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
None of them are moving to save money. They are just fed up with politics and direction this country is going and ready for a change.

Personally, I wouldn't mind living in Iceland for the summer, and somewhere along the meditteranean for the rest of the year. I'll be done with surfing by the time I'm 55 and be ready to seek out new adventures.
I'd like to clue you in on a unique opportunity in the Chilean highlands....

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002

Um, why would you be done with surfing by 55?
i mean, quit if you want and it’s one less surfer fighting for waves, but WHY?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Bring lots of money to share with all your new friends and their families as they graciously help you transition into your golden years.
An Ozzie expat I met in the Philippines had lots of stories like that. He lives pretty low key in a regular neighborhood, crappy boards, ancient desktop computer, and basic home wares. Still gets people stopping by and hitting him up regularly.

One guy was begging him for cash and said, "Please, I have 11 kids and I don't have any money". Then he said, "If I had 11 kids I wouldn't have any money either!"

Friggin Ozzies :ROFLMAO:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of waves you wanna surf, how often, and for how many years.

Reactions: paunch23

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
The first question you need to ask yourself is what kind of waves you wanna surf, how often, and for how many years.
This.

Also:
-Are you planning to stay year round? Or 3-6 months a year, with splitting time and/or travel elsewhere?
-Do you want to live in the boonies or in a town with amenities?
-Do you have family and/or commitments in the states that will require travel back and forth?
-Budget
-Medical care needs

Just to name a few considerations. Either way, try before you buy.

Reactions: Havoc and paunch23

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I always love this kind of person.

I hate the direction this country is going so I'll move to a 3rd world country to live like the people I hate.

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
This.

Also:
-Are you planning to stay year round? Or 3-6 months a year, with splitting time and/or travel elsewhere?
-Do you want to live in the boonies or in a town with amenities?
-Do you have family and/or commitments in the states that will require travel back and forth?
-Budget
-Medical care needs

Just to name a few considerations. Either way, try before you buy.

I think "Do I speak the language?" is a very important question as well.

Inability to communicate or understand can be hugely isolating.

Unless you're OK with limiting the majority of your interactions to other expats...which I think is FUCKING WEIRD.

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I think "Do I speak the language?" is a very important question as well.

Inability to communicate or understand can be hugely isolating.

Unless you're OK with limiting the majority of your interactions to other expats...which I think is FUCKING WEIRD.
Well yes, of course. I guess I'm starting with the assumption that the OP speaks at least some Spanish.

The Expat clicks are like high school for retirees. Those are the last people I would want to be around.

Reactions: Havoc