Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Here you go, you rabid dogs!

IMG_1154.jpg

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1035.jpg

The 6'2 Pickled Twin is for the big stuff, and the 5'9 Cuttlefish for regular days. If you follow the nose outline of the 6'2, then it's more like a 6'6. If you do the same with the tail, then it's a 6'10. My friend came round to check it out, and said that board scares him because it gives you no excuses. It feels nicely balanced with a single concave running through the length of the board, then the scooped out nose at the front. Pretty knifey rails on it along the back third of the board. The Cuttlefish feels like it'll be a lot of fun. Nice and thick under the chest, but with a big turn down step to the rails. The bottom quarter is thinner with a more gradual feel to the rails. Interested to find out what that tail is like compared to the 5'4 Squit I already have and am in love with...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Beautiful boards!!

Really curious to hear how you like the pickled twin.
Will let you know as soon as we get some proper waves. Been the worst typhoon season I can remember!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Color work is awesome as well!

Love the look.

I don't have the balls to tell the glasser to do whatever. I should just let Superwolf do his thing.

Reactions: Goodfish

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
Freaking epic. I think one of his boards is on my wish list for next year. Which model of the asym's is his DD?

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Those turned out beautiful. Frickin works of rideable art!
I agree with your buddy on the pickled twin asym. Seems so finely-tuned, you're out of excuses.
That Cuttlefish looks rad, color work and all. Want.
Will be curious to hear your comparison vs. Squit fish. Did you size them the same?
Can we a get an entire RB quiver shot?

• Haha
Reactions: Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Color work is awesome as well!

Love the look.

I don't have the balls to tell the glasser to do whatever. I should just let Superwolf do his thing.
I told them I wanted greys and blues with a splash of yellow on them. Gave them a couple of screenshots of other boards Superwolf had done for reference. In the end, I guess he just does what he knows will work well...

Freaking epic. I think one of his boards is on my wish list for next year. Which model of the asym's is his DD?
Parallelogram, I think.

Those things are so sick. Almost too pretty to surf though!
I know what you mean. Especially the step-up as I got it with a couple of bouldery points and a reef in mind. We'll see what it looks like in a year...

Those turned out beautiful. Frickin works of rideable art!
I agree with your buddy on the pickled twin asym. Seems so finely-tuned, you're out of excuses.
That Cuttlefish looks rad, color work and all. Want.
Will be curious to hear your comparison vs. Squit fish. Did you size them the same?
Can we a get an entire RB quiver shot?
Haha! Finely tuned and long enough to gobble up most waves I'd put myself in front of. Kinda scary...

Scott said the Cuttlefish is a bit narrower than the squit and less chunky, plus it's more of a performance fish, so I just said 5'9. It's still pretty beefy though.

I'll do the quiver shot when I find a nice wall to prop them up against. Also involves dragging my boards down 6 flights of stairs...

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
This pivots tighter than a symetrical board going backside because of features like the round tail, increased tail rocker, cut-away fins, and the shorter, rounder rail line on the heel side. Transitions from rail to rail are easier without having to compensate (as much) for the different ways we distribute our weight due to the asymmetry of out bodies. Probably hard to imagine for some unless you've tried one.

Tail is probably closer to 15" wide, but don't have it with me at the moment to measure.
Have you tried any other fins with this board?

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Have you tried any other fins with this board?
I haven't and honestly, I haven't found a reason to.

I really like the toe-side fin template being a pivot style keel.

As for the heel-side, I'm usually not a big fan of quads in general.......mostly because they don't have the pivot of a thruster (this was my biggest concern when ordering this board, but I was told to trust this configuration and I'm glad I did). With the boards heel-side design features and the cut-outs of the quad fins, it has thruster-like pivot (and then some).

Reactions: Bullnutts

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Rode my 5'9 Cuttlefish this weekend in a pretty good tropical depression swell. Saturday was at a beach break that was overhead, a little bit wild with a few long ones that lined up for a sucky inside section. Sunday was head-high on a point that wasn't quite lining up, but the wind was straight offshore and I was on a nice hollow section.

My instant impression was that it is distinctly different from the 5'4 Squit that I have and love. It really felt like a shortboard, but still had that instant speed that a twinny has. There was one wave that I slid out on the turn because I had the board too flat to the wave face, but as long as I used the rails to hold a turn it felt pretty high-performance. Really fell in instant love with this board. I bought it thinking of using it as a daily driver through the winter, and it worked well in the the bit lumpy conditions on Saturday as well as the much cleaner conditions on Sunday. It also reminded me of my more recent learning: Volume is good. You really can't go over-volume on a board (unless it's ridiculous), but you can definitely go under volume. Therefore, I like my boards with more meat, and I'm not afraid to say it! Won't be going back to 28L boards anytime soon...

Conlusion: Buy boards from Burch. Haven't had a bad one yet...