Big Sur

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Bummer u only got 3 days!
I'm staying at Treebones. That place aint cheap! $320/night to stay in a fvcking yurt!

Actually, we're lucky because we're staying for free. Our friends were supposed to get married there and as part of the wedding party, they paid for our accommodation. As things turned out, they decided to get married early but they still kept our reservations!

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
been going up there on a annual trip for about 20 years. used to be in february and crowds were always mellow. surf always out of control but decent here and there. weather kept the crowds down I think. switched to veterans day weekend a couple of years ago. overall it's better due to weather and more manageable surf but it's so crowded. makes it more entertaining except for the surf cause you run across a lot of people. the surf at sand dollar during the last two trips has been more crowded than anything I surf in san diego.

• Sad
  • Dislike
Reactions: jkb and JBerry

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
The beach and surf at SD the last time we went thru last year was about waist hi, soft tops and lbs, 30 peaople on beach and 30 in water. basically flat and crowded. I didn't even surf I just stayed on beach with family throwing rocks and watching kooks.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Really sad to read this. When I was around there all the locals I talked to encouraged me to take a drive in/through, but I felt like I had birds in the hand surf-spot wise, and with how badly me/my rental car stuck out where I was, I can only imagine in Big Sur how obvious it'd be. Plus if my tires got slashed, getting a hold of a tow truck and convincing them to head there sounded like no fun in a major way.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I have one for a week in October sometime. If they don't have a covid vaccine by then, I doubt I'm going. Duffy already asked , but maybe u two can share it.
Why? Camping does not seems high risk. Just use hand sanitizer after using the head. Keep your distance.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The beach and surf at SD the last time we went thru last year was about waist hi, soft tops and lbs, 30 peaople on beach and 30 in water. basically flat and crowded. I didn't even surf I just stayed on beach with family throwing rocks and watching kooks.
One of the last times I went there, I checked it from the bluffs and it was kind of small, but glassy and no one out. So I ran for it. When I got down to the beach there were about 20 surf schoolers a the base of the bluff practicing pop ups. 5 minutes after I paddled out they were swarming all around. Mayhem. They did not know how to surf so it was just an obstacle course. Does not bode well for the future though.

• Dislike
Reactions: JBerry

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Really sad to read this. When I was around there all the locals I talked to encouraged me to take a drive in/through, but I felt like I had birds in the hand surf-spot wise, and with how badly me/my rental car stuck out where I was, I can only imagine in Big Sur how obvious it'd be. Plus if my tires got slashed, getting a hold of a tow truck and convincing them to head there sounded like no fun in a major way.
It's worth it for the drive alone. One's of the world's greatest coastal drives. Do an open jaw ticket leaving from SJC/SFO next time, you won't be disappointed.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I went a in late July, 2018 and camped at one of the private campgrounds (Can't remember the name, somebody will) for 2-3 nights on the way to SD from SF.

Checked Sand Dollar and it was pretty average. Checked another place that was pretty on and had about 5 dudes out.

People got a lot of time on their hands and a lot of mystery has been taken away due to Social Media and camping websites. It's funny to see friends/acquaintances on IG complaining about what happened to the free camping spots and how everyone ruined it since they are the ones who clued me into the fire road program on their posts in the last several years and in the last several months...

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
I feel that north BS is way more crowded than south BS. Seems like a lot of people love to drive into Monterey, hit up Carmel, and then on to BS proper. I rarely see THAT much traffic on the southern half. Lots of good hiking.

Half joking, but I blame all the extra turnouts, boulders and walls Caltrans has built along hwy 1 over the years. Makes the drive safer/easier for the inland families, Silicon Valley Bro's and the touristy types.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I feel that north BS is way more crowded than south BS. Seems like a lot of people love to drive into Monterey, hit up Carmel, and then on to BS proper. I rarely see THAT much traffic on the southern half. Lots of good hiking.

Half joking, but I blame all the extra turnouts, boulders and walls Caltrans has built along hwy 1 over the years. Makes the drive safer/easier for the inland families, Silicon Valley Bro's and the touristy types.
yes it is definitely less crowded in the south because there aren't many well advertised sites to see, no buildings, shops, hotels, bnb's, bathrooms, or parking lots really. The cutoff turn-around for day tripping peeps from the north seems to be Dollar. The main sites like McWay Falls (brand new bigger parking lot), pfeiffer beach (newish parking lot and now fee entrance), partington cove (surprised this is still free), molera, prewitt ridge, molera and others are all done.

Pro tip: your best chance to see the above spots is to get up early. Big Sur doesn't get crowded until about 10am.

Reactions: the janitor

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I have one for a week in October sometime. If they don't have a covid vaccine by then, I doubt I'm going. Duffy already asked , but maybe u two can share it.
I would be interested if that falls through with Duffy. PM me if so!

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
dang, really? Camping is about the safest thing you can do.
Camping sketches me out a little, actually.

Everyone in the campground is funneled into the same small bathrooms and there isn't much air movement in there.

Let's say someone sneezes with the covid. How long will it take all those droplets to fall? How many people walk in and use the bathroom after that sneeze?

That being said, I have been camping since this sh!t started and I'm fine. Hated the bathroom situation though.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I've been camping 4x this summer in high sierras. Two times in back country and two times in non-pay campsites. It's been unbelievably crowded all 4x. Nearly every campground I passed on the way up has been full, including the non-pay sites where I camped.

Maybe the most crowds I've seen in the last decade. Still awesome but when you come around the bend at 10,000' and see 20 other people camping at the lakes in the basin, it's like :foreheadslap:

I get it though. People are beyond desperate to escape the madness.

Reactions: the janitor