Mental Health thread

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Still, a shitload of people have an accident -> got hooked on that sweet pharma good good -> disaster arc.
The magic number is 10%.

Those people are addictive personalities waiting to get addicted too something.

The key for them is to get addicted to weight lifting or bike riding or studying.

If I couldn't do drugs because I had an addictive temperment, I would do ice baths and heat exposure.

That is such a killer high.

It's insane.

Niacin too.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Mulitvariate

I always go back to the nervous system. It's spares resources in the pursuit of safety. And it abhors what it perceives to be high energy expenditure activity with a low payoff.

Our current society is triggering resource sparing tactics in our boys.

I think it's always been hard to find one's way in the world.
I don't think it's that hard in the post-war West relative to most of the rest of the always.

I saw that picture from the Sudan famine in the 90s with the little starving kid and the vulture in the background. The guy who took that picture won a prize for it and was dead of suicide within the year.

Kampf = Jihad = Struggle.

We have a pandemic and Ben Gravy is fully nuking it for the dream.

How many boys were killed because they had penises and were successfully invaded until recently? How many were killed in the early days of homo sapiens when sausage would see other sausage and it's on to the death?

Reactions: Boneroni

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I don't think it's that hard in the post-war West relative to most of the rest of the always.

I saw that picture from the Sudan famine in the 90s with the little starving kid and the vulture in the background. The guy who took that picture won a prize for it and was dead of suicide within the year.

Kampf = Jihad = Struggle.

We have a pandemic and Ben Gravy is fully nuking it for the dream.

How many boys were killed because they had penises and were successfully invaded until recently? How many were killed in the early days of homo sapiens when sausage would see other sausage and it's on to the death?
There is a price we pay for the easy life.

Comfort is its own trap.

I'm amazed at what fearless breeders there are in hostile environments.

That is optimism!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Northern_Shores

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Sack up.. and be a responsible human. That is being a man. I agree.

Everything else we are seeing now is just chafe and actually just sad.

I'm also stupid and lazy but I figured it out and took a path to survive and hopefully prosper. Which I did.

I feel very sorry and concerned for the youth of today. (lazy af little entitled kids that won't make it on their own for long)

Most of them that I have had conversations with simply don't get the gravity of life in general and their own responsibility to take care of themselves once Mom and Dad don't take care of their every problem and need.
Old farts like to say that young people today area bunch of pussies, that they have to have their safe spaces and get traumatized by microagressions and words are violence and all that sh!t.

I disagree. I think the vast majority of young people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and genitalia have what it takes to roll with the twists and turns of life and figure it out. If they get knocked down they might feel shitty for a while as they lick their wounds but they get up with a tough lesson learned and carry on. Just like people have done since forever.

Only a small percentage (10 - 20% maybe?) are the whiny little bitches that old people so easily mock. It's just that they have the loudest voice, since they are holding the mike and childishly protest while the rest are busy getting on with life.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Old farts like to say that young people today area bunch of pussies, that they have to have their safe spaces and get traumatized by microagressions and words are violence and all that sh!t.

I disagree. I think the vast majority of young people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and genitalia have what it takes to roll with the twists and turns of life and figure it out. If they get knocked down they might feel shitty for a while as they lick their wounds but they get up with a tough lesson learned and carry on. Just like people have done since forever.

Only a small percentage (10 - 20% maybe?) are the whiny little bitches that old people so easily mock. It's just that they have the loudest voice, since they are holding the mike and childishly protest while the rest are busy getting on with life.
I know lots of shitty old people too.

The 10-20% number is right on.

But they can sink t he canoe if they are not managed.

I've already said this but my recent batches of 18 year old students have been full of potential and a desire to do good.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
so that sounds pretty good
seems like trying to achieve that goes against its own principle of not making your thought your aim or dreams your master
is this something that just happens without goals or effort?

i mean, I’m kinda there already
i just simplify it as “lowered expectations “

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
What are the variables?
Our current society is triggering resource sparing tactics in some of the boys.

The nervous system perceives resources sparing to be a bigger bang for their buck.

I think this has to do with the prosperity of the parents.

They have been demoralized by it.

To achieve that same prosperity on their own has a perceived high cost so their nervous system opts for living off their parents' resources at a much lower cost.

It's all neural.

They don't even know they are doing it.

Too much good fortune has its own perils.

Resource sparing is good but it can be over done

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Our current society is triggering resource sparing tactics in some of the boys.
In what way?
The nervous system perceives resources sparing to be a bigger bang for their buck.
"The nervous system" is an abstraction you haven't defined. What are its functions in this case? What is its scope?
I think this has to do with the prosperity of the parents.

They have been demoralized by it.

To achieve that same prosperity on their own has a perceived high cost so their nervous system opts for living off their parents' resources at a much lower cost.
Is this what you mean by, "Resource sparing tactics?"
It's all neural.

They don't even know they are doing it.
You act as if people don't really think or that most of their thought is subconscious and they're like simpler organisms that just respond to environmental stimuli. Humans think consciously, reason morally, and use the laws of logic. You and I talk past one-another because we operate from different anthropologies.

Is it possible that the explanations in the books I linked are better and more complete?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
In what way?

"The nervous system" is an abstraction you haven't defined. What are its functions in this case? What is its scope?

Is this what you mean by, "Resource sparing tactics?"

You act as if people don't really think or that most of their thought is subconscious and they're like simpler organisms that just respond to environmental stimuli. Humans think consciously, reason morally, and use the laws of logic. You and I talk past one-another because we operate from different anthropologies.

Is it possible that the explanations in the books I linked are better and more complete?
Yes, I think the nervous system is King.

You can bias the nervous system with cognition (top down) but my study of the nervous system and cognitive system leads me to believe that the nervous system asserts greater control over the cognitive system (bottom up).

Yes, a collision of frames is occurring.

I am not taking it personally.:)

I like seeing exactly where are differences are.

I think most people would agree with you.

But I respectfully think they are missing the mark.

I am an iconoclast for sure.

I am totally at odds with composition theory (teaching process writing).

I think my peers are subject to an affect bias.

But teachers teach better teaching the way they like.

So they are kind of right.

Last edited:

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
After having gotten laid off on May 1st, and applying, contacting, and networking with every person, recruiter, TV network, and agency that I know or who have worked with in the past, I just booked 2 weeks of work from home at my full rate with the possibility of more if projects keep rolling in. I got referred by a boss I haven't worked with or talked to in 6 years. I now owe him a blowie. :LOL:

The funny part is yesterday I typed up a resume for the first time in my life and then told myself Im taking a break from looking for work until Monday. As soon as I let go - the universe delivered. Crazy how that works.

Anyways not trying to brag but wanted to add some positivity to the thread. Persistence pays off and sometimes you just gotta take a break and let nature take over.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Humans think consciously, reason morally, and use the laws of logic.
Sometimes, but certainly not all the time. Humans also act irrationally, and against their own self interest, all the time. Human behavior is a balance between these two things. Sometimes biology wins, sometimes rational self interest wins.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
After having gotten laid off on May 1st, and applying, contacting, and networking with every person, recruiter, TV network, and agency that I know or who have worked with in the past, I just booked 2 weeks of work from home at my full rate with the possibility of more if projects keep rolling in. I got referred by a boss I haven't worked with or talked to in 6 years. I now owe him a blowie. :LOL:

The funny part is yesterday I typed up a resume for the first time in my life and then told myself Im taking a break from looking for work until Monday. As soon as I let go - the universe delivered. Crazy how that works.

Anyways not trying to brag but wanted to add some positivity to the thread. Persistence pays off and sometimes you just gotta take a break and let nature take over.
so true

Reactions: CutnSnip and racer1

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I think human behavior is a mix of modern human traits and our caveman traits.

Sometimes the impulses contradict and we dont decide, the reflex does. Fight or flight. That sort of thing.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
so that sounds pretty good
seems like trying to achieve that goes against its own principle of not making your thought your aim or dreams your master
is this something that just happens without goals or effort?

i mean, I’m kinda there already
i just simplify it as “lowered expectations “
It's a British stoicism poem by Rudy Kipling

Basically, don't get too low or too high and the World is yours.