Pat Curren needs your help

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Weird to have this thread sticky now or at all (and Stab's size 76 header/title font article) for a family that clearly doesn't seem to want the spotlight and this kind of attention drawn to them. Seems they're doing just fine handling it on their own at this point after finding out about the gofundme and contacting paulsurf.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
And you can tell Joe Curren is upset they were not contacted and is not happy about it but trying his best to be graceful.

If he wanted to help he should have went to social services

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Weird to have this thread sticky now or at all (and Stab's size 76 header/title font article) for a family that clearly doesn't seem to want the spotlight and this kind of attention drawn to them. Seems they're doing just fine handling it on their own at this point after finding out about the gofundme and contacting paulsurf.
That’s show business. Sad reality of the new normal. Everyone has a share.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
If anyone would like to start me a gofundme page, I'm in.

No strings attached.

I don't need 100 Gs.
this could be a good idea.

instead of filthy lucre, we could collect
a variety of used stuff that we’d feel
you would appreciate.

not sure how storing and then delivering
all this treasure would work, but i
will contact an erbb gofndmexprt
and see what kind of angle we can
come up with.

too bad, i just unloaded my massive
collection of juggs magazines on ebay,
for pennies, which could have really
gotten your fund rolling, and made me
look like a real sensitive & altruistic
mensch.

• Haha
Reactions: PJ

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
That was a red flag to me too.
This is a bit of a red flag too:

While most of the surf world went the way of carbon copy machine cuts and overseas production outsourcing, Pat chose to do it his way. He has stood as a guiding light for the younger generation of by-hand board builders, of which I find myself a part, for 70 years. 70 years and hardly a penny to show for it.

He makes himself apart of Pat's guiding light. I don't think Pat turned on a guiding light for hipster trash and Pat Curren's boards certainly are not part of the DNA of that hipster trash.

This guy invaded a family's personal business. He has in essence completely high jacked this family and their very personal affairs. If you watch the "thank you" video of Pat Curren on this guy's instagram page you can tell Pat Curren is not a spry young man with all of his faculties. In my opinion, this is opportunistic and this guy is trying show the world he is doing this great deed while the Curren family is demonized by parts of the Instagram public. His do-gooder facade insulates him from criticism for what has resulted. Hey, he's just trying to help out a legend and his kids didn't.

This is not this dude's business and he has no right doing what he is doing. Grandstanding at its finest. Can you imagine the toll this must be taking on the family? Who would want their family affairs aired all over Instagram. Dealing with elderly parents is never easy when there are issues, now you have this person come in and try to take over.

Go watch "You" on Netflix. Similar behavior is exhibited and its disturbing. IT is also disturbing so many cannot see what is going on. The tone his posts and the guy's behavior should be a red flag. He hijacked Joe Curren's Instagram and is almost moderating it.

He met an 88 year old man months ago and counts him as a very close friend all of a sudden and acts like he knows everything about him and his situation. It makes for a great sympathy story to capitalize on. He's the guy that saved Pat Curren, a living legend. We should all bow down and give him the recognition he deserves. NOT.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I've never acted as a "looser."

I sure as hell have acted as a "loser" on this forum.

At age 88, why does Pat have a kid? Who does he think he is... Mick Jagger?

The Currens are surf royalty. I've never met any of them, but have the utmost respect for what they have contributed.

Love and Light.

I want to meet that guy.

And act like a looser.

I am mentally challenged.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
100 Gs?

That seems like a lot.

I had a homeless women with a speech impediment corner me at the market on PCH and ask for money.

I could tell what she was saying.

I get saying WHAT? WHAT?

She got mad.

Finally, on the third try, I got it.

Can you give me 5 dollars for breakfast?

Me: "Five dollars! Are you out of your fucking mind? You just want me to give you five dollars to a stranger?"

I walked into the store all disgusted by her gall, her boldness, her lack of shame.

My GF always tells me I handle confrontations with the homeless poorly.:trout:

That person has nothing to loose. That can bias them to do crazy sh!t.

They are already doing crazy sh!t by living on the street.:monkey:
I have a standard for giving money. If the person -- and yes, they are a person, who once had hopes, dreams, laughed and loved -- can't get their act together enough to find a pair of shoes, I'll give them a few bucks. Even if they spend it on dope, at least it will give them an hour or two of less pain/a little bit of happiness.

Nobody would choose addiction/mental illness/homelessness if they could.

Regarding the Currens: Sure, Pat has made choices, maybe not always great ones. But I don't want to see him destitute or homeless. The whole Curren family has given me a lot of joy over the years, from Pat's original IDGAF attitude to Tom's style, so if somebody wants to try to help them, I don't have any objection. As we know family is tricky, so maybe they'd take help from strangers "with no strings attached" more graciously than they might from the family...who might indeed have strings...

Reactions: kidfury

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I have a standard for giving money. If the person -- and yes, they are a person, who once had hopes, dreams, laughed and loved -- can't get their act together enough to find a pair of shoes, I'll give them a few bucks. Even if they spend it on dope, at least it will give them an hour or two of less pain/a little bit of happiness.
Ever considered your contribution might end their life?
Result in an assault or rape or robbery?

There's a corner about 1/4 mile from my house that's basically intoxicated homeless central. It's a bastion of alcoholism and drug addiction. I don't even want to go into the stories I see there on a daily basis, it's too depressing.

How anyone can be OK with the thought they could very well be contributing to that is :crazy2:.

Reactions: bluemarlin04

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
I was in kindergarten when I was taught about the ant and the grasshopper.

There are plenty of rich ants in So Cal. Rich grasshoppers also.

In 1968, a typical middle-class black household had $6,674 in wealth compared with $70,786 for the typical middle-class white household, according to data from the historical Survey of Consumer Finances that has been adjusted for inflation. In 2016, the typical middle-class black household had $13,024 in wealth versus $149,703 for the median white household, an even larger gap in percentage terms.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
IT is also disturbing so many cannot see what is going on.
Yeah, that's the other component.

If you're able to see what's going on here it's leaves you with a very dark feeling.

It's a textbook scenario involving sociopathic wizardry.

We're watching it play out like magic.

Last edited:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Tom has some influence in the surf world -- I would think he could do some harm to this guy's brand if he chose to; as part of this caustic internet moral high ground, I'm kinda rooting for a full blacklist

Last edited: